Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Discussion Part 4 [UPD: Nov 24th Recalled]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The points will come. Blake Wheeler first played in the nhl when he was 21, and put up 45 points. Pulju could become a similar late bloomer.

I'm not really sure they will. "Points will come" generally applies to players that are generating a high volume of chances and just for whatever reason not capitalizing. That isn't really the case here.

Reactions: talitintti

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
Offensively he's a black hole. Dunno what your expectations are but I hope for more than .1 ppg from a 4th overall pick at d+3.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Offensively he's a black hole. Dunno what your expectations are but I hope for more than .1 ppg from a 4th overall pick at d+3.
Prospects don't develop overnight. I do agree that his offensive game is behind, but I wouldn't call him a "black hole". To add on, he is slowly gaining confidence each game.

Reactions: MikeFLB

alesis

Dec 1, 2008
As anyone who has ever played hockey knows you can not rush things. Some games you just don't get the chances, sometimes you hardly even get to touch the puck (unless you are McDavid). You just have to play the plays as well as you can, do the little things right (and the way the coach has told you to) and sometimes you end up having a scoring chance. The team is winning, Hitch is clearly trusting Jesse as you could see at the end of the game and he is doing a lot of things well, even better than most of the other wingers. His offensive chances will come. Had it been Pulju who missed on that breakaway (that he and Khaira set up) instead of Nuge, you would have lost your minds. It's really really funny how (supposedly grown up) people love to hate this kid.
His offensive game is behind, that is true, but now that there is some understandable logic to his treatment, I have no doubt that he will be catching that up.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The
As anyone who has ever played hockey knows you can not rush things. Some games you just don't get the chances, sometimes you hardly even get to touch the puck (unless you are McDavid). You just have to play the plays as well as you can, do the little things right (and the way the coach has told you to) and sometimes you end up having a scoring chance. The team is winning, Hitch is clearly trusting Jesse as you could see at the end of the game and he is doing a lot of things well, even better than most of the other wingers. His offensive chances will come. Had it been Pulju who missed on that breakaway (that he and Khaira set up) instead of Nuge, you would have lost your minds. It's really really funny how (supposedly grown up) people love to hate this kid.
His offensive game is behind, that is true, but now that there is some understandable logic to his treatment, I have no doubt that he will be catching that up.
I agree he’s playing fine. Let hitch work with him and take it slow. I bet towards the end of the season he will take strides.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Didn't even Hitch say give him a month with Pulju?

He's a project and I'll say it again this is not a 1 day job.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

I don't see him on the Oilers in 2 years. Maybe they can trade him to the Blues for a Perron-like player.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't know how anyone could be unhappy with his game at this point. Yes it'd be great if he started getting some points but he is definitely making strides.

Correct. He actually made a couple non-terrible plays in the offensive zone last night as well.

Again, he'll never be the player we wanted him to be when we drafted him, but that doesn't mean that he can't be a good two-way "middle six" winger for us. His offensive upside is very low, but that just is what it is at this point.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm not really sure they will. "Points will come" generally applies to players that are generating a high volume of chances and just for whatever reason not capitalizing. That isn't really the case here.

Yeah, his offensive ability is light years behind what we all hoped it would be, and where the scouts clearly thought it was (considering where he was drafted). But that is what it is, there isn't much to be done about it really. All we can do is hope he can change his game to be a shutdown winger with size and speed.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Correct. He actually made a couple non-terrible plays in the offensive zone last night as well.

Again, he'll never be the player we wanted him to be when we drafted him, but that doesn't mean that he can't be a good two-way "middle six" winger for us. His offensive upside is very low, but that just is what it is at this point.

Far too early to write him off.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
He'd be an NHL player right now if we left him where he belonged..

Typical rush job

Reactions: elmaco

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I thought he’s been making some nice plays the last few games. Soon he’ll start getting PP minutes and then the points should come. His skill set would be very useful on the 1st PP unit.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
IMO, if we want him to develop an offensive game, that's going to happen in Bakersfield, not playing 13 minutes a night against tough NHL opposition.

I wonder if his RFA status upcoming this summer plays a part in how the org is handling him. Learn a low-offense two-way game under Hitch than develop offensively in the AHL and then come up and contribute offensively the last month or two of the season. That seems like a lower next contract.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The difference between Puljujarvi and Yakupov is when one is not scoring or getting points, he can still be effective because of his defensive zone awareness and active stick. One can be put out there with a minute left and the coach is not going to panic. You can guess which one is which.

Even if Puljujarvi becomes a third line checker that pots 15 goals on average a season, its still a win compared to how bad the Oilers have drafted before hand.

Captain Pilsner

Sep 1, 2005
He'd be an NHL player right now if we left him where he belonged..

Typical rush job

This keeps getting lost in the focus on "what has HE done", a conversation that itself would be very different if his environment was conducive for growth. Jesse's treatment has been similar to putting a seedling in a wind tunnel, the results shouldn't be surprising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad