Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part 5, Jesse Bumped Up the Line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Isn't it kinda weird that essentially 3/4 of the team has the exact same issue? Other than the three centers does ANYONE on this team have the ability to read the NHL ice?

well not really weird when Chia built this team. remember, character over skill

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Outside of the 3 centers, who?
Players constantly underperform here whether it's vets, prospects or whoever. Do they all have low Hockey IQ? This has been going on for many years now. The atmosphere is toxic and almost all players who come here or start here get sucked into it eventually.

Unfortunately that may be the case. I'm not a fan of Hitch [that luster has long worn off] but he put it best: the way the team is assembled, need everyone punching above their weight class to have some semblance of success.

He's pretty much acknowledging that this team is devoid of skill

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yak was never the MVP of the WJHC and there were whispers at the draft that people should avoid drafting him (Katz vetoed picking Ryan Murray)..
but no doubt the Oilers aided in him busting so hard

actually Eakins helped that out a lot

Top down management wise, this team sucks. Just lazy ass culture from all facets. I mean, if we're talking strictly JP, I've long suspected Chia never really scouted him since he was fixated on Sergachev/Dman and didn't really 'expect' JP to be there at number 4. Had he done his due diligence, maybe he wouldve noticed things CBJ did and just picked Sergachev instead

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Top down management wise, this team sucks. Just lazy ass culture from all facets. I mean, if we're talking strictly JP, I've long suspected Chia never really scouted him since he was fixated on Sergachev/Dman and didn't really 'expect' JP to be there at number 4. Had he done his due diligence, maybe he wouldve noticed things CBJ did and just picked Sergachev instead
that 2016 draft royally messed thing up IMO

had they stuck with their plan and drafted Sergachev, we'd have our offensive defenseman for the future AND kept Hall IMO

drafting Puljujarvi then signing Lucic to make up for Hall's production was a critical failure by Chiarelli

Reactions: nabob and frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

had they stuck with their plan and drafted Sergachev, we'd have our offensive defenseman for the future AND kept Hall IMO

drafting Puljujarvi then signing Lucic to make up for Hall's production was a critical failure by Chiarelli

Yep. JP expedited the whole Lucic thing Chia was dead set on. Pretty much ensured one of Hall, Eberle or Nuge were gone for any D

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

2015: Draft Connor and Carlo
2016: Draft Sergachev and DeBrincat

By 2019-20 we're probably talking about a Cup contender instead of a rebuild.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
2015: Draft Connor and Carlo
2016: Draft Sergachev and DeBrincat

By 2019-20 we're probably talking about a Cup contender instead of a rebuild.
add the Reinhart trade from 2015:

McDavid #1
any one of Barzal/Chabot/Eriksson Ek/ Boeser/Connor/Koneckny/heck even Svechnikov at #16
plus Carlo at #33

the team has blue-chip prospects and depth in the system

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Debrincat would be such a perfect fit for this team. Quick, smart, lethal right shot, BFF's with Mcdavid.

It had to have burned Connor's ass even more seeing his former teammates scoring and winning the game and having a good old time.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It had to have burned Connor's ass even more seeing his former teammates scoring and winning the game and having a good old time.
I think Strome, Debrincat and Caggiula are good friends with him too. Must of sucked. At least his buddy Drai had 2 goals too

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
IMO he has been looking better of late but usually gets to play with dog food for linemates. The hate that a 20 year old kid is getting when we have Tobias 0 goals Rieder, Lucic, Chiasson's struggling again, etc. is ridiculous. This whole team is **** right now. You re-sign him to a cheap 2 year deal and hopefully start to turn this train wreck around next season. BTW-ffs play him with RNH and Khaira/Lucic already.
IMO he's just been treading water and the forechecking game that Hitch was bragging about earlier has been less noticeable of late, I'd like to send him down to the AHL for the remainder of the season and with the way things are looking he could see a decent number of playoff games down there. Based on how he plays down there we can hopefully make a more informed decision on his future with the team. A few weeks ago I was thinking that a cheap 2 year bridge was definitely the way to go, but now I'm starting to think he just isn't NHL quality and trying to force the issue will just keep his present stagnation going and AHL isn't an option next year as he'll need to clear waivers, the right choice might be just qualifying him and let him play 2 years in Europe to progress his game in a friendlier environment with a bit less pressure.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

It really was. It actually amazes me that it went that bad.
TBH I would have been disappointed if 1 out of the 2 went bad, but both...

I mean I still have a bit of faith in Pulju left, but considering top5 picks these last years alone it is a bit disappointing...
- Marner, Strome from 2015.
- Laine, Dubois from 2016.
- Pettersson from 2017.

Lucic, acquired at the age of 28 and had what, two 60+ pts seasons and five 50+ pts seasons under his belt. Suddenly takes a nose dive in 17/18 and even worse this season.
I know there were many people who did not like the trade, but I doubt even the most arduous detractor would have guessed the lows at which is plays now. How the **** did that happen?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
What are the over/under on him being traded next year for scraps when he can't lock down a top6 spot and isn't AHL eligible anymore?

Talk about botched development.

TheMustardTiger

Owner of the Dirty Burger
May 4, 2016
add the Reinhart trade from 2015:

McDavid #1
any one of Barzal/Chabot/Eriksson Ek/ Boeser/Connor/Koneckny/heck even Svechnikov at #16
plus Carlo at #33

the team has blue-chip prospects and depth in the system

or if we were to pick Aho with the 33 pick. That could have possibly helped with Puljujarvi`s development as well.

TheMustardTiger

May 4, 2016
It really was. It actually amazes me that it went that bad.
TBH I would have been disappointed if 1 out of the 2 went bad, but both...

I mean I still have a bit of faith in Pulju left, but considering top5 picks these last years alone it is a bit disappointing...
- Marner, Strome from 2015.
- Laine, Dubois from 2016.
- Pettersson from 2017.

Lucic, acquired at the age of 28 and had what, two 60+ pts seasons and five 50+ pts seasons under his belt. Suddenly takes a nose dive in 17/18 and even worse this season.
I know there were many people who did not like the trade, but I doubt even the most arduous detractor would have guessed the lows at which is plays now. How the **** did that happen?

I think it goes farther back then that. The Reinhart trade was awful, said it the moment they announced the trade. If we wouldn`t of made that trade we potentially would have had 2 additional top prospects besides McDavid that could be helping the team right now. If the 2015 draft turned out to be McDavid, Chabot and Aho, we may not even bother with with Hall trade or the Lucic signing and I doubt we really question the Puljujravi pick the next year.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Had Sergachev and/or DeBrincat been picked... for all we know, they could have busted, just like the others.

I mean, Hall became Hall when he left...

Anyway, I don’t think the players are all the problem.

Trade Yamamoto and Puljujarvi and see what happens.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think it goes farther back then that. The Reinhart trade was awful, said it the moment they announced the trade. If we wouldn`t of made that trade we potentially would have had 2 additional top prospects besides McDavid that could be helping the team right now. If the 2015 draft turned out to be McDavid, Chabot and Aho, we may not even bother with with Hall trade or the Lucic signing and I doubt we really question the Puljujravi pick the next year.
I think you are touching on a different point though, you are relating this to the Fire Chia, un-trade Hall, Reinhart issues. I am not and imo the Puljujarvi/Lucic situation is a completely different animal altogether. Not only did we strike out on one of the most sought after UFAs in 2016 (Lucic, 28, good for 50+ pts/seasons), but at the same time we botched a top5 pick despite him being highly touted as a NHL ready pick. We got one year out of Lucic, but after that I don't see a light in the tunnel with these guys.

Trading picks for Reinhart or Hall for Larsson were hard and very controversial decisions by the management. Signing Lucic and picking Pulujarvi were not. On the contrary, those were very easy calls, borderline home-runs if you will. That is the big difference imo.

TheMustardTiger

May 4, 2016
I think you are touching on a different point though, you are relating this to the Fire Chia, un-trade Hall, Reinhart issues. I am not and imo the Puljujarvi/Lucic situation is a completely different animal altogether. Not only did we strike out on one of the most sought after UFAs in 2016 (Lucic, 28, good for 50+ pts/seasons), but at the same time we botched a top5 pick despite him being highly touted as a NHL ready pick. We got one year out of Lucic, but after that I don't see a light in the tunnel with these guys.

Trading picks for Reinhart or Hall for Larsson were hard and very controversial decisions by the management. Signing Lucic and picking Pulujarvi were not. On the contrary, those were very easy calls, borderline home-runs if you will. That is the big difference imo.

I understand your point and your focus is on Lucic and Pul. At this point in time both players haven`t worked out as we would have hoped. I am just saying if we go back before that and didn`t trade for Reinhart and did draft say McDavid, Chabot and Aho it would make Lucic and Pul less painful. I honestly think if we would have hit that home run at the 2015 draft, Chia still would have traded Hall for Larsson and most definitely would have acquired Lucic. We would still be stuck with the god awful contract of Lucic but because of the previous draft our team would be better off and would have hopefully been in a better spot then we are today. A team can handle a year here and there of bad mistakes (signings, drafts, etc) if they can also have years where they are very successful and things work out but we just seem to have year after year of bad mistakes.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Had Sergachev and/or DeBrincat been picked... for all we know, they could have busted, just like the others.

Especially Sergachev. Sergachev only played 15:22 last year and 17:40 this year with 2min of PP last year and 1:30 this year.

How many minutes for rookie Jones? 19:48

We can't even bring along a prospect slowly. One who wasn't even a 1st rounder with huge expectations.

Reactions: space321

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Hall had his season last year cuz NHL scoring is up and he is being double shifted more than any point in his career.

He was 6th in scoring last year...just the same as he was in 2013.

So if we trade Draisaitl is he gonna become 120 point player on another team?

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Well heard today a couple of times that JP has refused to go to A. Which I had heard earlier.
Today was on pregame show on TSN (I think). Quoted Dreger. Reason why I point this out because when it comes to JP, if there is anything bad reported , they want to know full details as to sourcing because otherwise it never happened.
Pretty clear now why the guy is in the NHL despite his wretchedness.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Well heard today a couple of times that JP has refused to go to A. Which I had heard earlier.
Today was on pregame show on TSN (I think). Quoted Dreger. Reason why I point this out because when it comes to JP, if there is anything bad reported , they want to know full details as to sourcing because otherwise it never happened.
Pretty clear now why the guy is in the NHL despite his wretchedness.

Yes, because players on ELC's have a say if they can get sent down......

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad