Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part 5, Jesse Bumped Up the Line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Why is this player in the national hockey league right now?

Because oilers.

The coach has zero confidence in him playing more than 8 minutes a game, but refuses to send him to the AHL.

People speculate it's because they want him to feel like "part of the team" so they won't be sending him down, but all this is doing is ruining him.

His confidence is shot, he doesn't get to play hockey, and at the end of this season, he needs waivers to be sent down.

Not like we should be developing our highest drafted forward of the last few years, instead we need to teach him how to ride the pine in the NHL.

This organization is a f***ing joke. If you aren't a sure thing, you're a bust guarenteed.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Why is this player in the national hockey league right now?

Because Hitch said he could fix him by playing him under 9 minutes a night on the 4th line. Apparently Hitch says he only wants him to play 10-12 minutes because he gets tired. Well he's not even close to playing 10 a night and if he gets tired playing more minutes sit him down and talk to him about going to the AHL and tell him he's gonna be playing big minutes and you want him to put up a ton of points and win in the playoffs with the rest of the rookies and the future of our team. He was playing really well with Nuge and Khaira but it seems all our coaches like to take things that are working and change them so they no longer work anymore.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah, your right. Ive never heard of a player saying he wont go down to the A. I had forgot about they cant say that.
Good point. I applaud your knowledge.

Maybe a veteran player like Garrison that can just retire or quit the league. A young player like JP really has no say in it. It's just some bogus journalism going on.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Because oilers.

The coach has zero confidence in him playing more than 8 minutes a game, but refuses to send him to the AHL.

People speculate it's because they want him to feel like "part of the team" so they won't be sending him down, but all this is doing is ruining him.

His confidence is shot, he doesn't get to play hockey, and at the end of this season, he needs waivers to be sent down.

Not like we should be developing our highest drafted forward of the last few years, instead we need to teach him how to ride the pine in the NHL.

This organization is a ****ing joke. If you aren't a sure thing, you're a bust guarenteed.

This is way off. Hitch gave the kid a ton chances in the top 6 and all but gave him reach arounds in interviews. While he looked slightly improved, he was still playing extremely timid

His best game of the year about 10 games ago he decided to play w/ some authority in the 3rd. Hitch immediately rewarded him by moving him up and gave him some preferential PP time.

The next game he starts on McD's line and within half a period of his usual soft forchecking, gets demoted

Clearly he is to clueless to realize what the coaches want.

Tonite, yet again, pay attention to his all too common forecheck. He has all day to paste a dman on the boards with some authority(which earned him praise Hitch praise before) and create something. As per usual, he gets there in time, pins the player with his stick way off the ice, just enough to tie him up but without making a single play for the puck or enough pressure for the dman to still easily hold off a 6'4 player

Like seriously, JP could have nibbled on the back of his ear and kissed his neck and I wouldn't have been shocked how tender he was being

Reactions: MessierII

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Maybe a veteran player like Garrison that can just retire or quit the league. A young player like JP really has no say in it. It's just some bogus journalism going on.
Yeah ok. Because your favorite player wouldn't dare do that. And of course no young player would do that. Because its not permitted in their contract.
Funny. How naïve some fans are when it comes to their fave player. Don't worry, you still have time to get a few more of his autographs.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah ok. Because your favorite player wouldn't dare do that. And of course no young player would do that. Because its not permitted in their contract.
Funny. How naïve some fans are when it comes to their fave player. Don't worry, you still have time to get a few more of his autographs.

You're right. JP is this all powerful being that can refuse being sent to the AHL. I also heard that he refused a trade because playing any farther south makes him miss Finland even more...

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Player who can bolt to Europe for the next 5 years after 2 months may actually have a say.
Honestly Puljujarvi signing in Europe in the summer might be the best case scenario for us. We get to maintain his rights, don't need to play him in the NHL, don't risk losing him on waivers, and hopefully some time away from this organization could help him develop, or at the very least trick some team into thinking he can develop.

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Before Chia was fired, Pulju was able to carry the puck, got decent icetime and seemed to be getting better. After Chia got fired looks like Hitch got free hands to handle the prospects, so he threw Pulju into 4th line and ordered him not to hang on to the puck, and instead immediately fire it towards the goalie like it is a hot potato.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Well I think it's official.

The Oilers have officially trashed this kids development with incredibly stagnate usage.

This from a guy who loves two way players and stay at home defensemen.

With how streaky our PP is and the amount of times I've heard commentators remark how the Oilers PP is missing a right shot on thier powerplay it's nothing short of criminal he hasn't even got a shot on that top unit.

Embarrassing that Caguillia got regular usage with McDavid and JP has a handful of minutes with him.

He still looks a decent nhl talent that "could" be a good player to my eye... But just being honest, after his play this year, he is closer to being a complete bust than an impact player.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well I think it's official.

The Oilers have officially trashed this kids development with incredibly stagnate usage.

This from a guy who loves two way players and stay at home defensemen.

With how streaky our PP is and the amount of times I've heard commentators remark how the Oilers PP is missing a right shot on thier powerplay it's nothing short of criminal he hasn't even got a shot on that top unit.

Embarrassing that Caguillia got regular usage with McDavid and JP has a handful of minutes with him.

He still looks a decent nhl talent that "could" be a good player to my eye... But just being honest, after his play this year, he is closer to being a complete bust than an impact player.

Caggs was a *significantly* better player though. Pulj is a disaster, and will likely be out of the league in 2-3 years, after the next team he goes to gives up on him as well.

I'm sorry, but what hockey games are people watching that make them think that there is ANYTHING to this player? I mentioned in another thread that he has he hockey IQ of a giraffe, and I really think that might not be giving giraffes enough credit.

I would love for this player to show something, anything, that would make me think he had a future. But there just isn't anything to his game. Has speed, but doesn't use it on the forecheck, and isn't defensively responsible enough for it to be good on the back-check. (this is an area that he has actually regressed on, as he was pretty good defensively last year). Has a hard shot, but shoots at the most inopportune time, and has ZERO accuracy on his shot. Has a complete inability to find open ice to get the shot off. Can't pass the puck to save his life, and combined with negative hockey IQ, can't read offensive plays and play off other forwards in any way. Has size, but refuses to use it, as he never hits (ever) and doesn't protect the puck along the boards well either.

All of the above has been evident since his very first game in the NHL. He has never looked good offensively, and the defensive ability he showed last year has evaporated. This is not an NHL player, not in any way. How anybody could think otherwise is mind-boggling.

Yes, he should have been in the AHL for all 3 seasons. Yes, this likely would have made some difference. But the things he is lacking are not things that are going to miraculously be added to his game in the AHL. Pulj was going to be a failure on whatever team drafted him.

Last edited:

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The Oilers screwed up with Puljujarvi, not with the development process but rather at the draft table.

Jarmo knew what he was doing.

Connorrhea

Sep 17, 2005
My take on JP is that the should have played him and Kailer in the AHL for a full year or two until they showed they can hang with pros, after all the AHL is a professional hockey league with former and future NHL players so why not build their confidence there, don't care how well they did in pre-season, its about developing them.

Now regarding coaching, I think McLellan ruined this kid by not playing him with McDavid, instead he starts the season on the 3rd line? How is he suppose to get offensive touches with bums like Kassian, Lucic, Khaira and Brodziak playing around him?! Then JP would get his chance on one of the top 2 lines and within a few shifts he goes back down and shuffled around, if that doesn't scream "confidence killer" I don't know what does. Then Hitchock comes in and pretty much does the exact same thing! JP would have one bad shift and be thrown down the lineup....Tobias Rieder has ZERO...ZERO *&^^ goals this year and is consistently on the 2nd line and then gets promoted to play with McDavid? How does that make sense? Oilers need a young coach to come in who understands todays hockey players, not old minded coaches like Hitch and McLellan who lean on veterans with no skill.

I think JP has a great shot that has never been used on the power play which is another area you can help an offensively talented player gain confidence. Look at how Montreal is handling Jesperi, he gets PP time and is getting rewarded.

The fact that Dubois was taken ahead of him should have sent a red flag to the Oil management that something is wrong with this player and watching him skate is definitely one issue as well as puck control. This reminds me of Magnus Paajarvi getting drafted 10th when the Oil went way off the board, its like they've been looking for the next Kurri for years and keep drafting European busts because their owner wants to re-live the 80's. Mis-management, poor scouting and horrible coaching decisions have led to the lack of development of too many young players. How come Dubynk spent 10 years in the Oilers organization and couldn't stop a beach ball and and then gets bounced around to a few teams and suddenly becomes a consistent Vezina candidate?

Reactions: jonu

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Ehhh I'd say given the Oilers track record, development was likely the issue.

Take a teenager who speaks basically no English and throw him to the wolves, then scratch your head when he doesn't develop and then trade him for scraps. Stop me if you've heard this one before.

Reactions: Kolja

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I though Jesse had a good game and was getting ice time. Hitch just shut down that line after they got caved on endzone time late in the second and i dont think they got a sniff in the third.

The extra ice Jesse got could have been when Hitch was in for repairs. So maybe not accurate but i think he got just over 8 mins in 2 periods. Dont remember seeing that line once in the 3rd.

On a side note i thought hitch said Jesse would be killing penalties soon?? I think he would be great big wingspan good stixk big body.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
My take on JP is that the should have played him and Kailer in the AHL for a full year or two until they showed they can hang with pros, after all the AHL is a professional hockey league with former and future NHL players so why not build their confidence there, don't care how well they did in pre-season, its about developing them.

Now regarding coaching, I think McLellan ruined this kid by not playing him with McDavid, instead he starts the season on the 3rd line? How is he suppose to get offensive touches with bums like Kassian, Lucic, Khaira and Brodziak playing around him?! Then JP would get his chance on one of the top 2 lines and within a few shifts he goes back down and shuffled around, if that doesn't scream "confidence killer" I don't know what does. Then Hitchock comes in and pretty much does the exact same thing! JP would have one bad shift and be thrown down the lineup....Tobias Rieder has ZERO...ZERO *&^^ goals this year and is consistently on the 2nd line and then gets promoted to play with McDavid? How does that make sense? Oilers need a young coach to come in who understands todays hockey players, not old minded coaches like Hitch and McLellan who lean on veterans with no skill.

I think JP has a great shot that has never been used on the power play which is another area you can help an offensively talented player gain confidence. Look at how Montreal is handling Jesperi, he gets PP time and is getting rewarded.

The fact that Dubois was taken ahead of him should have sent a red flag to the Oil management that something is wrong with this player and watching him skate is definitely one issue as well as puck control. This reminds me of Magnus Paajarvi getting drafted 10th when the Oil went way off the board, its like they've been looking for the next Kurri for years and keep drafting European busts because their owner wants to re-live the 80's. Mis-management, poor scouting and horrible coaching decisions have led to the lack of development of too many young players. How come Dubynk spent 10 years in the Oilers organization and couldn't stop a beach ball and and then gets bounced around to a few teams and suddenly becomes a consistent Vezina candidate?

Paajarvi was ranked 6th overall in 2009. Hardly taken way off the board

Connorrhea

Sep 17, 2005
Paajarvi was ranked 6th overall in 2009. Hardly taken way off the board

My bad, I was thinking of how the draft went down, for some reason made me think he was drafted too early....but the comparison to JP is quite similar as Magnus was ranked the 2nd European skater and teams were passing on him, another red flag and yet the Oilers decided to take him.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Didn't T-Mac or Hitch say that Puljujarvi scores all the time in practice?

This is the guy who ripped the WJHC a new one. Where's the elite skill?

Really think it's 90% mental and confidence-based. Too much pressure to live up to here, it's an even bet he'll have to be moved to figure it out, if he ever does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->