Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part 5, Jesse Bumped Up the Line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connorrhea

Sep 17, 2005
Didn't T-Mac or Hitch say that Puljujarvi scores all the time in practice?

This is the guy who ripped the WJHC a new one. Where's the elite skill?

Really think it's 90% mental and confidence-based. Too much pressure to live up to here, it's an even bet he'll have to be moved to figure it out, if he ever does.

Did you see him in pre-season? He looked like a man possessed! He was skating fast with good puck control, getting into the right areas of the ice to release his potent shot....and guess how he was rewarded? By starting the season on the 3rd line and never seeing power play time! That's how you kill a young players confidence.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Take a teenager who speaks basically no English and throw him to the wolves, then scratch your head when he doesn't develop and then trade him for scraps. Stop me if you've heard this one before.
How does bad english explain having so much trouble receiving a pass and not looking drunk trying to skate with it lol.

Taking the dumbest shots from just inside the blue line?

He does nothing out there 99% of the time.

Lets hold onto our 1st round picks though boys!

We develop them with ease.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Did you see him in pre-season? He looked like a man possessed! He was skating fast with good puck control, getting into the right areas of the ice to release his potent shot....and guess how he was rewarded? By starting the season on the 3rd line and never seeing power play time! That's how you kill a young players confidence.
This is the only time he looked like a hockey player. I don't kno whow that didn't carry over to even one game

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
How does bad english explain having so much trouble receiving a pass and not looking drunk trying to skate with it lol.

Hard to be coached when you don't know what the coach is saying.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Give me a break. If you have ever watched preseason hockey, you will know the games mean close to nothing in terms of how a young kids play translates in the real world.
I remember 1 preseason (this happens all the time btw) Schremp looked like a champ early on. But as the preseason went on & on, for some reason he was looking worse and worse. By the end the kid looked like he could barely move. He wasn't skating worse. Its just that the pace/quality of play got a whole lot better.
Thats what we see with JP.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Unless there is some miracle Drai like turnaround, this guy is a bust. IT SUCKS

Just ruins a timeline to compete.

Connorrhea

Sep 17, 2005
Give me a break. If you have ever watched preseason hockey, you will know the games mean close to nothing in terms of how a young kids play translates in the real world.
I remember 1 preseason (this happens all the time btw) Schremp looked like a champ early on. But as the preseason went on & on, for some reason he was looking worse and worse. By the end the kid looked like he could barely move. He wasn't skating worse. Its just that the pace/quality of play got a whole lot better.
Thats what we see with JP.

If you know anything about confidence building you obviously don't know how the real world works then when it comes to rewarding people for their efforts. You're obviously missing my point about building confidence, you play well, you get rewarded, JP didn't get rewarded, he got demoted to the 3rd line with players who won't help him offensively.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Tbh, I have seen plenty of times where he gets looked off for a pass or a shot. I think skilled players utilize him better and he just needs to shoot the puck more. I don't see him as a playmaker and he passes way to often.
If he is playing in the bottom 6, I would like him to carry a line. Have him completely lead with complete support from his linemates.
Right now, for whatever reason, his creativity seems to be held back and I think it's because his linemates don't know how to use him.
I can understand his confidence issues.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Yams certainly is heading that way. Has put up very bad Numbers in the AHL this year, and looked terrible in the NHL.

His numbers are not "very bad".

He was always seen as a long term project with some issues he had to overcome to succeed.

Now suddenly he's played half a season of pro and we're gonna write him off?

I swear if the oilers draft someone who doesn't immediately jump from junior to the NHL, fans are ready to pull out the bust card.

Olof

Jan 17, 2019
Move to Russia and try to play there. Get beaten up, no molson beer..

I think puljus problem is this: he never was a leading player in Finnish league, yes she scored but wasn't a stud that took wins.. He wasn't a leading player in Finnish National team. And still Oilers wanted him to join NHL. Too much too soon. Way too soon.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Puljujarvi has huge upside. Surprised guys don’t see that. If we move him now I think we regret it. This isn’t Yak where he’s not improving. Puljujarvi is slowly figuring it out IMO

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I think most people are saying send him down. I see regression. No improvement. His great highlife every 5 games or so is maybe cycling the puck

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
pully has shown enough at times for me to feel he can be a player. Not so with Yamamoto who has shown zero and seems to be a far worse prospect than other small/tiny players some drafted much later.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Puljujarvi has huge upside. Surprised guys don’t see that. If we move him now I think we regret it. This isn’t Yak where he’s not improving. Puljujarvi is slowly figuring it out IMO
His upside is as he is as once a high draft pick.

He hasn't shown his skill or ability outside or maybe...one or two games since he was drafted. His upside, if there is becoming a low chance of ever happening

He has a better chance to be the next Yakupov than a 40 point forward.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Pre -season means jack s***. Thomas, Blandisi and Kyrou were tearing teams apart in the preseason for ST Louis. Currently, Thomas is the only one in the NHL, playing 4th line minutes.

Funny enough, their fans aren't "devestated" that the Blues management is ruining him

Reactions: frag2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I want to think this but this years performance is a drop off on another level. Pulju was always at least a solid 200ft player. This season he's -13 which is astoundingly bad considering how few minutes he plays and his zone starts and QOC. Theres no way, no way, his +/- or GA should be astoundingly bad. He has 9pts and is -13. If this was anything but a high pick he would never be seeing the NHL again.

That saying I want to continue to see him here but its time he steps into another gear. I've been seeing signs, but we've seen that before too. He lacks any kind of finish, has none, and about as much as he gets done is bullwork, but not even positionally responsible play this year. The GA suggests Pulju is faring WORSE this season.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I want to think this but this years performance is a drop off on another level. Pulju was always at least a solid 200ft player. This season he's -13 which is astoundingly bad considering how few minutes he plays and his zone starts and QOC. Theres no way, no way, his +/- or GA should be astoundingly bad. He has 9pts and is -13. If this was anything but a high pick he would never be seeing the NHL again.

That saying I want to continue to see him here but its time he steps into another gear. I've been seeing signs, but we've seen that before too. He lacks any kind of finish, has none, and about as much as he gets done is bullwork, but not even positionally responsible play this year. The GA suggests Pulju is faring WORSE this season.

His first year he looked absolutely horrible defensively. I think he’s taking some time to get used to the game speed. The last game I watched Puljujarvi looked like the guy I watched in junior. Splitting the d, dishing nice backhand floating passes, and driving the net. He needs to learn to play that game consistently. If he does we’ll have a hell of a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad