Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi | His Mouth Contain His Tongue Only When He Eats Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Rumors - happy to hear if these are accurate. According to Beerleagueheros "Management is VERY happy with what Puljujarvi has done this offseason."

In addition Looch "was asked to get down to 220lbs for this season and he was nice about it and said he didn’t know if he could but that he’d try." He is suppose to be leaner now.

I hope that Beer league heros post is accurate.

Looch getting down to 228 by mid August is a really good sign.

Puljujarvi earning a spot beside McDavid would be great news.

Glad to hear that Koskinen is looking solid as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: PulYou

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Rumors - happy to hear if these are accurate. According to Beerleagueheros "Management is VERY happy with what Puljujarvi has done this offseason."

In addition Looch "was asked to get down to 220lbs for this season and he was nice about it and said he didn’t know if he could but that he’d try." He is suppose to be leaner now.

The source:
Oilers Updates on Bieksa, Davidson, Lucic, and Who Needs to Step Up in 2018/19.

I question the authenticity of a blogger from Taipei Taiwan being an Oiler insider. Also lots of information in the article that does not pass the sniff test, for instance this regarding Nurse contract impasse;

His agent, that c*nt, wants 5/6 years at $5.5M per year and Nurse said that he’s cool with $3M per year for two years.
Nurse is willing to sign right now but his agent is saying that they can get more.

The writer is stating he got that info from his source. How would anybody, including the Oilers have that information. Players have agents in order for them to do the negotiation. Any player that had said something like that to a team official would not have an agent anymore and would be addressed by the NHLPA. Its simply ludicrous to suggest that Nurse made it known to the Oilers that he would play for 3M. So this is likely bs. The whole article could be.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The writer is stating he got that info from his source. How would anybody, including the Oilers have that information. Players have agents in order for them to do the negotiation. Any player that had said something like that to a team official would not have an agent anymore and would be addressed by the NHLPA.

Whaaaaaat?

The agent/player relationship is always challenging.

Players talk to each other and don't take their agents word as gospel. Agents work for players.

The NHLPA dictate how players speak and who they speak to.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Whaaaaaat?

The agent/player relationship is always challenging.

Players talk to each other and don't take their agents word as gospel. Agents work for players.

The NHLPA dictate how players speak and who they speak to.

Not sure what you are questioning. Most player agents are lawyers. The reason a player HAS an agent is to avoid face to face negotiation. Any lawyer I know who had a client divulging what they think the settlement should be would be pissed about that. It would defeat the entire point of having representation. It would defeat negotiation. At that point the client would have compromised the representation. Lawyers don't take kindly to that type of thing.

Its highly suspicious that the citation is saying Nurse disclosed what he would settle for. The first thing a player agent would stress with a client player is to NEVER do what Nurse is alleged to have done. So I call bs on that made up information being out there.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Not sure what you are questioning. Most player agents are lawyers. The reason a player HAS an agent is to avoid face to face negotiation. Any lawyer I know who had a client divulging what they think the settlement should be would be pissed about that. It would defeat the entire point of having representation. It would defeat negotiation. At that point the client would have compromised the representation. Lawyers don't take kindly to that type of thing.

I get most player agents are lawyers.

Sure the lawyer can be angry at their clients. The key is the player is the client. That doesn't mean they are right. It is absolutely none of the NHLPA's business what Nurse tells people.

Agents make the case about having the best of their client at heart all the time. That doesn't mean they do. If the agent truly thinks their representation of Nurse has been compromised then he should end the relationship.

I would not be shocked if there is a difference of opinion between Nurse and his agent about the deal they should try and attain. That's why players change agents sometimes.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Its highly suspicious that the citation is saying Nurse disclosed what he would settle for. The first thing a player agent would stress with a client player is to NEVER do what Nurse is alleged to have done. So I call bs on that made up information being out there.

Just speculation but I dont think Nurse is oblivious to what the Oilers cap is and where he stands. It's actually not that surprising if a player disagrees with their agent. Hell, IIRC, one of Ovy's contract was self-negotiated. I think even Doughty had his negotiated mostly by himself except for the paperwork.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just speculation but I dont think Nurse is oblivious to what the Oilers cap is and where he stands. It's actually not that surprising if a player disagrees with their agent. Hell, IIRC, one of Ovy's contract was self-negotiated. I think even Doughty had his negotiated mostly by himself except for the paperwork.

Fair enough If I'm wrong but it sure isn't an advisable thing to do. Like the saying goes he who has no lawyer has themselves as representation. If this Nurse story is true it would say a lot about why players should not say anything or divulge anything in the negotiations. Nurse upseating his agent and saying he would pay for that total would be a huge mistake on his part, and costing him millions.

The Oilers cap situation has changed afaik subsequent to the Sekera Long term injury.

I'd never heard that before regarding Doughty. Which contract?

Ovy marches to his own drummer. Not a typical case.

In anycase we know nothing at all about this insider. he has a lot of weird out there takes as well including absolving Kassian's entire poor season due to his theory that Zach was injured in first game. I like to read the whole articles and see if the information is suspicious or not. I seem to recall some past blogs by the same author also being odd.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Fair enough If I'm wrong but it sure isn't an advisable thing to do. Like the saying goes he who has no lawyer has themselves as representation. If this Nurse story is true it would say a lot about why players should not say anything or divulge anything in the negotiations. Nurse upseating his agent and saying he would pay for that total would be a huge mistake on his part, and costing him millions.

The Oilers cap situation has changed afaik subsequent to the Sekera Long term injury.

In anycase we know nothing at all about this insider. he has a lot of weird out there takes as well including absolving Kassian's entire poor season due to his theory that Zach was injured in first game. I like to read the whole articles and see if the information is suspicious or not. I seem to recall some past blogs by the same author also being odd.

I think You are right not to believe everything that is written. To take this seriously the source should be openly mentioned. That's why I labelled it as a rumor.

Looch's weight loss remains to be seen. If this is proven accurate, maybe his "insider" knows something... Who knows?

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Looch's weight loss remains to be seen. If this is proven accurate, maybe his "insider" knows something... Who knows?

I would not be too surprised if that's true. Last season was such a catastrophe for him he probably feels he has to make some drastic changes. If for nothing else to give him new hope and to boost his confidence.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think You are right not to believe everything that is written. To take this seriously the source should be openly mentioned. That's why I labelled it as a rumor.

By no means was I singling you out for any criticism. I know you labeled it rumor, good on your part. But for all we know this is just some blogger making stuff up. he offers no further information on source, credentials, or even how it came to be that he has contact(s). I don't recognize this blogger as anybody that has nailed things before either.

As much as I dislike Looch I didn't detect him being around 245 either at end of year. He started season around 236. To gain 15 lbs during an NHL season would, I think, be pretty noticeable. That claim seemed suspicious as well.

ftr an actual source has Lucic at 238lbs late in the season;

Oilers' Milan Lucic needs to adapt to new NHL - Sportsnet.ca

So that Lucic had gained 2lbs through the course of the season. The thought that he would have gained another 7lbs to balloon to 245 in final weeks of the season is a stretch, excuse pun.

Also from the article Lucic is cited as having changed diet to reduce weight at that point and knew he had to lose weight and was committed to doing that. It would be another strike against him if he went up to 245lbs subsequent to that acknowledgement.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Im surprised you didn't know Doughty self negotiated his last contract considering your love for the Kings. It was widely reported he did most of the legwork to cut down on fees and such.

Drew Doughty finds the right negotiator for his new eight-year, $88-million deal with the Kings — himself

Players dont really 'need' an agent if they are savvy and on top of things. That's the only reason agents, IMO, exist anyway. To keep on top of anything that isn't on the ice.

Anyway, no need to derail this JP thread any further.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Im surprised you didn't know Doughty self negotiated his last contract considering your love for the Kings. It was widely reported he did most of the legwork to cut down on fees and such.

Drew Doughty finds the right negotiator for his new eight-year, $88-million deal with the Kings — himself

Players dont really 'need' an agent if they are savvy and on top of things. That's the only reason agents, IMO, exist anyway. To keep on top of anything that isn't on the ice.

Anyway, no need to derail this JP thread any further.

Thanks, did not know this one. I watch the games, less interested in the capology, typically.

Also I lost interest in following stuff in offseason. tbh didn't even know the latest contract was signed.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
By no means was I singling you out for any criticism.

Didn't take it that way at all. I myself am quite strict about the sources and how reliable they are. That's why I replied.

Because I am a Pulju fan though, I just want to think that the management are pleased with Pulju's offseason... :laugh: That's why I liked the rumor...

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Didn't take it that way at all. I myself am quite strict about the sources and how reliable they are. That's why I replied.

Because I am a Pulju fan though, I just want to think that the management are pleased with Pulju's offseason... :laugh: That's why I liked the rumor...

Its not like you have to explain it to me. heh. I get it.

Reactions: PulYou

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
In case anyone's interested this article opens up some details about the FEL team Pulju comes from:

Radek Koblizek - "Be patient!"

In the article Koblizek tells the following about Jesse:

And then there was Jesse Puljujärvi, the toughest athlete I've ever met. If you asked me who trained the hardest, I would say Jesse. He was on the ice at 8am and then went straight to a second workout, then to the gym and in the afternoon he was on the ice again. A fool. He didn't know anything else other than hard work. Despite the fact that he is naturally very strong and talented. Even when he was better than older guys, he would always work hard. He's also in the NHL now, which I never doubted he wouldn't.
I have very good memories from playing with Jesse and Sebastian.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is it exactly.
Lets allow Jesse to find his game before we give him a steady diet of #1 dmen on McDavids wing.
I have to LOL at people thinking that approach is hurting his development.
Its common sense.

Maybe start him with a little PP time if he earns it in camp.

How can he earn it when he never gets the chance in the first place? All the talent is on the top PP unit, that's where he should get a long look. No reason whatsoever not to and it was my biggest beef with the coaching staff down the stretch of what was a development year last season.

Also, he doesn't have to be stapled to the McDavid line. This is the luxury of having a 1-2 punch like McDavid and Draisaitl in which one line draws the top pairing while the other lines up against secondary competition. No reason not to give Puljujarvi the opportunity to earn a spot alongside Draisaitl in preseason. My worry is that they gave Rieder a promise that he play with his countryman to earn a bigger deal the next season along with giving Lucic a chance to redeem himself in a top 6 role so I think they start Pulju on the 3rd line which is fine as long as they give him some looks on the top PP unit.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
In case anyone's interested this article opens up some details about the FEL team Pulju comes from:

And then there was Jesse Puljujärvi, the toughest athlete I've ever met. If you asked me who trained the hardest, I would say Jesse. He was on the ice at 8am and then went straight to a second workout, then to the gym and in the afternoon he was on the ice again. A fool. He didn't know anything else other than hard work. Despite the fact that he is naturally very strong and talented. Even when he was better than older guys, he would always work hard. He's also in the NHL now, which I never doubted he wouldn't.

Replacement’s narrative that Puljujarvi isn’t dedicated or willing to train hard is losing more and more credibility every day.

Reactions: MoneyGuy

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How can he earn it when he never gets the chance in the first place? All the talent is on the top PP unit, that's where he should get a long look. No reason whatsoever not to and it was my biggest beef with the coaching staff down the stretch of what was a development year last season.

Also, he doesn't have to be stapled to the McDavid line. This is the luxury of having a 1-2 punch like McDavid and Draisaitl in which one line draws the top pairing while the other lines up against secondary competition. No reason not to give Puljujarvi the opportunity to earn a spot alongside Draisaitl in preseason. My worry is that they gave Rieder a promise that he play with his countryman to earn a bigger deal the next season along with giving Lucic a chance to redeem himself in a top 6 role so I think they start Pulju on the 3rd line which is fine as long as they give him some looks on the top PP unit.

I dunno. An interesting thing to do is look at the two Pulju PP goals this season. They both occurred at times where Pulju had briefly been playing well and with some jam. One is a cross ice finish as all 4 Arizona players converged in an Eakins inspired swarm, The other is potting a rebound from the slot against an inexperienced Chicago goalie. In the commentary of both goals you hear; "These are the opportunities to play on the PP Pulju gets when is engaged" I believe it is Remenda saying it, going on memory. But its being stated in a typically homer Oilers broadcast. But the message seems to be the club wanted Pulju to do more to warrant being on the PP. Craig Simpson said similar that the club is expecting more. I think these comments were informed by the org.

There isn't some conspiracy on behalf of a coach not giving Pulju better PP assignments, instead we have a coach that is showing his typical tendencies to defer to vet depth in assignments. To give too much to Lucic, Cammy, even Caggs somehow getting in there.

McLellan is a traditionalist coach who still has "show me" in his vocabulary. I'm not defending it, merely stating its the case. So that if you have a coach like that then try to discern what things you could be doing as a player to obtain more trust of that coach. Players in any team sport don't get to pick their coaches. You instead do what you can in establishing a working relationship with those coaches. The trust involving two or more people as it pertains to any one player.

PS Why would you worry that the Oilers would place Rieder on Draisaitls line. Something that has worked anytime its been tried? Isn't the purpose for the Oilers to do better and to have better producing lines? Rieder in play compliments Drai well. So again why worry about that? Strange comment.

Lets remember, as well, contextually, that Rieder would be here in the first place because our wingers collectively, or singularly, were underwhelming. The team got a winger recruit that can play with Draisaitl and has established with Drai. That's a good thing, right?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Replacement’s narrative that Puljujarvi isn’t dedicated or willing to train hard is losing more and more credibility every day.

Well except that isn't my narrative. My concern is of a player that does not consistently establish in games. That lacks the initiative and imposing his considerable size in actual shifts. On the ice this has been a passive player. One that for any reason is reluctant to engage and assert himself. That can't continue. Theres little room for tentative at this level of hockey.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

Sounds like how Jagr would exercise and train. Also, the first guy I think of outside of Jesse would be out on the ice with a similar type of attitude (easy going) was Jags.

Not making any other comparisons, but when there was earlier accusations that the coaches didn't like Pulju because of that attitude and that he wasn't taking this opportunity seriously, I think we can all look at how well the Mullet Man did with the same type of training habits and attitude on ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad