Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi | His Mouth Contain His Tongue Only When He Eats Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatherPucker

Mar 22, 2018
The reality is NHL coaches don't tell you not to make plays, not to protect puck, and not to be strong on the puck.
Don't they? When Erik Haula was playing for the Wild and his dad was in the audience watching him dumbing the puck and not even trying to play with his strenghts, he asked Erik "why the hell you don't even try to make plays?" The answer was " Don't you get it? If I do, I'll be eating popcorn for weeks". He seems to do a bit better in Vegas

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Don't they? When Erik Haula was playing for the Wild and his dad was in the audience watching him dumbing the puck and not even trying to play with his strenghts, he asked Erik "why the hell you don't even try to make plays?" The answer was " Don't you get it? If I do, I'll be eating popcorn for weeks". He seems to do a bit better in Vegas

Thanks, good reply.

That's valid. But Haula was a 7th round pick and at the time just picking up garbage minutes and expected to stick close to a don't mess up anything role. In capped leagues you need depth players that just don't hurt a team and yes those players are scripted.

I think it occurs less with #4 picks which is also fair comment. But also with younger players it can happen to some extent temporarily.

But its innate to grant responsibility and independence as behavior and reliability warrant it. This is the relationship in all org hierarchy and not just pro sports. Unless we believe in fatalism the individual has a role in what leeway is afforded them.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Because its hard to discern from his play here what are his PP trademarks. I really and honestly don't know. What facets and plays does he typically bring to a PP. Where is he ideally situated, what have you noted?

Quite honestly I've been disappointed and baffled by the way he's been handled on the PP. I know we see Jesse's career in different lights, and that's fine, but I rather concentrate on what he's done before the NHL as you asked about that. That doesn't mean I believe he can transfer that all automatically to the NHL.

Earlier in his career Puljujarvi has been truly excellent on the PP. To the extent you see rarely. He's been so good that it's hard to imagine something is wrong in the coach if he can't bring that to the level that could at least help the team in two years time.

It's true Puljujarvi hasn't got one clear strength which would make him stand out, which would've helped with his career. However, the combination of how many things he does well or even very well has been very unique. Where he's really shined has been the PP. His shot, when he gets it right, was one of the few I've seen where the goalkeeper hasn't got a chance. He's had a few nasty looking misses, which may have affected TM if it's happened in practises, but he's also been able to hit the puck at a level that not too many players do.

He has also been good at sneaking a bit closer, often to Kurri's place, before firing his shot. Besides this he's been elite at QB'ing, though he's done that a bit less. He's also good at driving the puck across the ice and thus saving valuable PP time. Where he hasn't been used is by the goal, so it feels quite crazy that's how TM has used him.

I still wonder what could've happened if he'd got one or two of the post hits in at the start of his first NHL season. I was sure he'd got another chance later on, but it's been two years since that already. I hope I managed to reply to your question at least passably.

Reactions: PulYou

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Because its hard to discern from his play here what are his PP trademarks. I really and honestly don't know. What facets and plays does he typically bring to a PP. Where is he ideally situated, what have you noted?

Because of MaLellan You have had hard to discern it, but ideally Pulju's place would be quorterback left half-wall.

Here he is in his natural position doing his thing, because the lines were changing:

And here as a junior:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Because of MaLellan You have had hard to discern it, but ideally Pulju's place would be quorterback left half-wall.

Here he is in his natural position doing his thing, because the lines were changing:

And here as a junior:

Hate to say it but that second video also highlights a large lack of finish on Puljujarvi's part. Gotta bury at least a couple of those chances, yikes.

Reactions: Ippenator

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Hate to say it but that second video also highlights a large lack of finish on Puljujarvi's part. Gotta bury at least a couple of those chances, yikes.

You do have a point, but to his defense I have to say that in that particular WJC he was just 16 (the youngest player in the tournament) and he at least kept hitting the posts again. Too bad it doesn't count, though.

Before his NHL career Puljujarvi has been a solid finisher, scoring goals at about 90% rate compared to Laine, so there is potential left.

Reactions: PulYou

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Actually I think his last FEL goal gives a pretty good example of his PP role:

He's scored plenty of similar goals, and though there are less examples about his QB'ing skills some can be seen e.g. in the U18 highlights.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You do have a point, but to his defense I have to say that in that particular WJC he was just 16 (the youngest player in the tournament) and he at least kept hitting the posts again. Too bad it doesn't count, though.

Before his NHL career Puljujarvi has been a solid finisher, scoring goals at about 90% rate compared to Laine, so there is potential left.

Unforunately I see some of the same problems in the NHL ... he's really poor at finishing odd man rushes like 2 on 1s, McDavid set him up a couple times and he always hits the post/shoots wide/or powders it into the goalie's pads.

Reactions: Ippenator

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Unforunately I see some of the same problems in the NHL ... he's really poor at finishing odd man rushes like 2 on 1s, McDavid set him up a couple times and he always hits the post/shoots wide/or powders it into the goalie's pads.

I can honestly say that when it comes to hitting the posts he's the most unclucky player I've ever seen. There's even no real competition. One can take that as a negative sign or as a sign that he's done something right and with better confidence and luck things can change quickly. I believe in the latter option, partly because I've seen him finish succesfully throughout his career except for the NHL (the beginning of this season was good, though) and that one WJC tournament.

I believe some more work with practising puck handling etc., more NHL experience in those situations, more trust from the coaches and better confidence can work wonders.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
My final message for now. The thing is, to really utilize Puljujarvi on the PP you need a working PP system and a player (or two) who can find Jesse at the right time. Aho is very good at that and I'm sure they could form a lethal combination in the NHL, too.

The way the PP worked last season was incredibly sad. I believe even I or most of us would've made a better job there, and I didn't think I would ever say this, because it should actually be a ridiculous thought. All the pieces were there, but no-one seemed to have a clue about how to take the most out of them. Or almost anything actually. Jesse having no PP time when he was still hot, and later working as a grinder in the 2nd PP was just one of the many problems.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
To this day, I have no idea why people on this board are ready to give up on JP. He has gotten better and more confident each of his last 2 seasons. He had 12 goals last year for crying out loud. That isn't too bad. Hemsky had 13 goals his second year in the NHL and so many people were on him to breakout.. What happened his third year?

I bet Jesse breaks out. Play him with Leon, especially if he has a solid training camp

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Potential left? He hasn't even hit his potential yet... the kid hasn't even turned 21 yet..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

And here as a junior:

I appreciate the effort, I do. But the Arizona goal is in the toilet bowl with Arizona looking for ways to ensure losing the game. They very clearly adopt the Eakins TM SWARM D on that setup. lol they have 4 skaters on ice and immediately prior to the goal they all converge to one side spot. This is relevant as I'm saying all along Jesse, at this level, tends to have those moments only on complete opponent breakdowns. Watch the play over. 4 Keystone Yotes cops with whistles wondering what to do..The only thing missing being Charlie Chaplin skating around in a tophat.

I actually feel sorry for Rick Tocchet, Arizona coach just with head down after that goal. A week later he stepped down due to family problems.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Potential left? He hasn't even hit his potential yet... the kid hasn't even turned 21 yet..

A bad choice of words from my side. I should've at least said "unused potential" or something. I meant to say I believe there's plenty of goal scoring potential in Puljujarvi once him and TM get the pieces together.

Reactions: KYams17

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I can honestly say that when it comes to hitting the posts he's the most unclucky player I've ever seen. There's even no real competition. One can take that as a negative sign or as a sign that he's done something right and with better confidence and luck things can change quickly. I believe in the latter option, partly because I've seen him finish succesfully throughout his career except for the NHL (the beginning of this season was good, though) and that one WJC tournament.

I believe some more work with practising puck handling etc., more NHL experience in those situations, more trust from the coaches and better confidence can work wonders.
Too many games of posts at the ODR

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
A bad choice of words from my side. I should've at least said "unused potential" or something. I meant to say I believe there's plenty of goal scoring potential in Puljujarvi once him and TM get the pieces together.

Yeah that makes more sense. I think the reason we didn't try trading for any top six wingers is because we want to give Jesse and Yam a chance. Hopefully both, or one of them, makes it through

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
He punishes himself through not being engaged and ready to go. Its quite clearly an attitude or preparation problem. A few posts above the hilites of the Vancouver game was shown. This being one of 93GP by Pulju. In his whole sample there are maybe 2-3other games where he was even close to being engaged on this level.

What is a coaching staff supposed to really do with such a player. Ask them if theres any chance they can be on this game, this week, this month?

Theres three players on this team last season that were grossly inconsistent. They are Lucic, Pulju, Kassian. Of these Lucic has a longterm contract, will survive this. Kassian has found some other priorities in life (not blaming him, he's not the same person now, he's a better person, but no longer as good an antagonizer). For Pulju though, trying to establish, the impetus should be on him to at least carve out a niche in the NHL. Its not enough to have played 3 games really well out of 93. Not in pro sports it isn't.

We will get nothing for Puju in a trade. It is a make or break season with him. He seems to take to long to get that wicked wrist shot off. With Kassian, he is a shell of a player he was in the playoff run. Hopefully he is engaged this year. He looked pretty good running the stairs (I think it was Greece). Kassian has wheels and good hands. I feel Chiarelli gave him too much (sound familiar?). With Lucic, I don't have any answer. Hopefully he has a pride issue and will come back determined.

When Jarmo Kekalainen passed on Puju in draft, I was very suspicious. A Finn GM passing on a Finn player. Hmmmm. Hopefully, Puju comes ready this year. If not, stay away from the foreigners in the draft. Yak, Puju, Paajarvi have been busts

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I appreciate the effort, I do. But the Arizona goal is in the toilet bowl with Arizona looking for ways to ensure losing the game. They very clearly adopt the Eakins TM SWARM D on that setup. lol they have 4 skaters on ice and immediately prior to the goal they all converge to one side spot. This is relevant as I'm saying all along Jesse, at this level, tends to have those moments only on complete opponent breakdowns. Watch the play over. 4 Keystone Yotes cops with whistles wondering what to do..The only thing missing being Charlie Chaplin skating around in a tophat.

I actually feel sorry for Rick Tocchet, Arizona coach just with head down after that goal. A week later he stepped down due to family problems.
He could have been looking at the monitor for what happened rather than just hanging his head

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

You do realize that most goals are scored because of a breakdown by the other team...

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley

Pulju finds a great shooting position in open space, uses the screen effectively and goes to the high glove with a nice wrister and you want to discredit the goal because the Yotes d coverage brokedown?

How many goal's in the NHL are scored due to defensive breakdowns? Are you taking those away from every player?

Honestly, we could show you a clip of Pulju curing cancer and you would be up here talking about how he is only curing the easy cancers........

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
When Jarmo Kekalainen passed on Puju in draft, I was very suspicious. A Finn GM passing on a Finn player. Hmmmm. Hopefully, Puju comes ready this year. If not, stay away from the foreigners in the draft. Yak, Puju, Paajarvi have been busts

Jarmo has stated before that he purposely tries to avoid drafting Finns (atleast early), something about avoiding being seen as a homer.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pulju finds a great shooting position in open space, uses the screen effectively and goes to the high glove with a nice wrister and you want to discredit the goal because the Yotes d coverage brokedown?

How many goal's in the NHL are scored due to defensive breakdowns? Are you taking those away from every player?

Honestly, we could show you a clip of Pulju curing cancer and you would be up here talking about how he is only curing the easy cancers........

lmao at "Pulju finds open ice" The 4 yotes players, all of them, on a pk, were drawn to puck, all left everything else wide open. Most of the ice was wide open. Merely on the basis of being a winger Pulju is wide open on that play

Are these serious replies? Players that only score or produce on MAJOR defensive breakdowns don't score an awful lot. Players that can CAUSE breakdowns in D through driving offence and exploiting the D even in coversage situations score a lot.

The former would be passive production. Taking what is glaringly left open. The latter is shaping results, games, outcomes.

Heres the clue though. Pulju had 20pts on the season. Yeah, wasn't curing cancer out there..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad