Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi | His Mouth Contain His Tongue Only When He Eats Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He could have been looking at the monitor for what happened rather than just hanging his head

Look at the play again. Yotes are shorthanded. At one instant you can see all 4 yotes within 20 feet of each other all converged on side boards. Pulju didn't work open, he was left open by a country mile.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I hate to say it, but I agree in theory. JP isn't QBing anything at his current level. He's still far too clumsy to move the puck quickly enough to effectively force the opposition to make errors. He's fine as a trigger on that left side, but I'm leaving him on that second unit until he forces their hand.

Reactions: frag2

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Look at the play again. Yotes are shorthanded. At one instant you can see all 4 yotes within 20 feet of each other all converged on side boards. Pulju didn't work open, he was left open by a country mile.

If they had had time to set up the Powerplay formation they were coached to, Jesse would have been standing around in the high slot, not at the shooter spot. I believe the idea is to pass the puck to an open man and get a shot on net. This was executed.

I did not post the video to argue whether the Coyotes made a mistake or not - Yes they did. I post the video to showcase where Pulju would be useful on the powerplay.

And to underline it, this is a position where he has been used prior to McLelland. To me he could shoot the puck eyes shut from this position and score, to exaggerate a bit... :laugh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If they had had time to set up the Powerplay formation they were coached to, Jesse would have been standing around in the high slot, not at the shooter spot. I believe the idea is to pass the puck to an open man and get a shot on net. This was executed.

I did not post the video to argue whether the Coyotes made a mistake or not - Yes they did. I post the video to showcase where Pulju would be useful on the powerplay.

And to underline it, this is a position where he has been used prior to McLelland. To me he could shoot the puck eyes shut from this position and score, to exaggerate a bit... :laugh:

The thing that needs to be considered is that even shorthanded most NHL clubs are competent enough to cover lanes and to limit time and space. You rarely get that open in the NHL, even on the PP. You don't get a ton of "gimme goals" production in the NHL. Most of it you have to work for it.

The reply I made was not to you, it was to suggestions that most goals are scored through egregious opponent breakdowns. Just not the case.

Although I can see that an Oilers fanbase that saw two seasons of Eakins hockey might think NHL hockey is commonly played this poorly..

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
lmao at "Pulju finds open ice" The 4 yotes players, all of them, on a pk, were drawn to puck, all left everything else wide open. Most of the ice was wide open. Merely on the basis of being a winger Pulju is wide open on that play

Are these serious replies? Players that only score or produce on MAJOR defensive breakdowns don't score an awful lot. Players that can CAUSE breakdowns in D through driving offence and exploiting the D even in coversage situations score a lot.

The former would be passive production. Taking what is glaringly left open. The latter is shaping results, games, outcomes.

Heres the clue though. Pulju had 20pts on the season. Yeah, wasn't curing cancer out there..

Well since you started your response off with a "lmao" I guess Pulju did nothing of value on that play - whatever you say.

Keep the condescending replies coming though! We are not worthy of your great hockey mind.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
exactly, this is why things like the cycle actually exist

Yep. Every goal scored on an odd man rush is because of a breakdown. Most penalties are the result of a breakdown in coverage as well which lead to PP goals.

For a poster to be grasping at straws to try and discredit Puljujarvi for finding an open space in the ice to release a wicked shot is ridiculous. Sad that he can’t enjoy good hockey plays.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well since you started your response off with a "lmao" I guess Pulju did nothing of value on that play - whatever you say.

Keep the condescending replies coming though! We are not worthy of your great hockey mind.

Maybe you missed your original response was condescending. I responded merely in kind. I will be entirely respectful to posts that choose that manner in reply. But when you start making comments that Pulju could cure cancer and I wouldn't appreciate it, its hard to take as sincere reply.

thanks

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

I wonder if we should discredit Draisaitl for all the gimmie goals he has scored in the last three years while being set up by two different Hart trophy winners?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^Here we go again with silly season.

Maybe, just maybe, there is a difference between a player getting 7opts vs a player getting 20.

What absolutely inane comparisons.

Again, and its not complex. Pulju's play suggests a player just picking up the rare production crumbs that are left out there through egregious opponent D errors. Again, not unreasonable view as 20 pts easily suggests a forward that has not yet found a way to earn an NHL production living.

It might come with time. But he's sure not there.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
^Here we go again with silly season.

Maybe, just maybe, there is a difference between a player getting 7opts vs a player getting 20.

What absolutely inane comparisons.

Again, and its not complex. Pulju's play suggests a player just picking up the rare production crumbs that are left out there through egregious opponent D errors. Again, not unreasonable view as 20 pts easily suggests a forward that has not yet found a way to earn an NHL production living.

It might come with time. But he's sure not there.

Your reading comprehension is failing as usual. You’re making it extremely easy to pick apart your arguments and make you look silly in this thread. The fact that you have dedicated so many hours to trying to discredit a teenager playing limited minutes in the NHL really says a lot about you and your bias against Puljujarvi.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Your reading comprehension is failing as usual. You’re making it extremely easy to pick apart your arguments and make you look silly in this thread. The fact that you have dedicated so many hours to trying to discredit a teenager playing limited minutes in the NHL really says a lot about you and your bias against Puljujarvi.

Pulju's play last season discredited itself. I'm describing the water. 20pts for a top pick teen is scraping bottom.

Sure he'll be better, but by how much.

My tendency is to be critical of underperformance. So that Lucic, Kass, Pulju, get most of that, and on that basis.

The reality is this club needs a lot more than it is getting from its wingers. Lucic and Pulju are the two wingers we have with the most expectation of performance. With Pulju he has an out in that he is young. I grant that, I make no conclusion on the player. Hopefully he does much better this season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Do other teams boards eat their young like this, too?

No wonder Patty Maroon said it sucked here.

Blanket statement. Not sure if directed at me but I'll respond.

On the same board I am effusive with praise for the efforts of young players like Nurse or Bear. Or Drasaitl or McD who are almost just as young as Pulju.

Give me a player, any player that tries consistently and works hard constantly and I will be a fan. Give me a player that is easily thrown off their game for a 45 game period and I'm going to cite issues.

Basically some hockey players don't like playing in Canada. Due to passion. But passion has two sides. The playoff fervor and excitement being another side. Players love passionate markets when the team is faring better.

Also Patty Maroon did not say it sucked here. That is disservice to a player I loved here and that worked hard here to put smiles on peoples faces and deserved every credit he got.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Do I have 55? ;)

WE can all hope.

But the player on the ice has to be activated. Has to be intense. Its no secret. Aho is creating production because he plays every shift like his life depends on it. Impressive kid, easy to like. He's pintsized, has none of the physical size gift that Pulju has, but knocks over the NHL for fun. He's a real sparkplug. I'm still waiting for Pulju ignition.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Apparently Jesse has switched to using a shorter stick. Good news

Source? Great to hear either way. I think it'd really help with his stick handling and he's still got a great wingspan.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Do other teams boards eat their young like this, too?

No wonder Patty Maroon said it sucked here.

He didn't say it sucked here, he said it sucked losing. Big difference. Maron loved it here. For the Oilers to move forward, Speed is in Need so choices had to be made. I was a big Maroon supporter but I'm an Oiler fan not a critic. We need to get faster and that means opening some spots up. For once, we are starting to gather some depth in our prospect pool. It has been pretty bleak

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The problem with Puljujaarvi is that we rushed him. He should have played his first season in the FEL, then all of last season in the AHL. He should have won another WJC MVP.

He should be a raw rookie entering the NHL this fall.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record over this crap, but no good has EVER come from the Oilers rushing any prospect.

McDavid and Hall were the only 2 that were truly ready to play the year they were drafted.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The problem with Puljujaarvi is that we rushed him. He should have played his first season in the FEL, then all of last season in the AHL. He should have won another WJC MVP.

He should be a raw rookie entering the NHL this fall.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record over this crap, but no good has EVER come from the Oilers rushing any prospect.

McDavid and Hall were the only 2 that were truly ready to play the year they were drafted.
Draisaitl?

RNH put up 52 points in 62 games and had a better rookie season than Hall, he was definitely ready, as are almost every 1st overall pick, look at the past, it's not just an oiler thing to play them.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Apparently Jesse has switched to using a shorter stick. Good news

About damn time.

I recently cut my stick about an inch shorter than I've ever played with before. Took a few games to fully grasp it but once I did I questioned how I played with the longer stick for so long. Was night and day for me.
Hopefully it's the same for Jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad