Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi | His Mouth Contain His Tongue Only When He Eats Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I shouldn't dignify this with a reply. NHL scouting makes no such differentiation, neither should you. Do you think it would really be difficult to find 5 examples of Euro players that hit the NHL much better than Puljo. No, it wouldn't at all. Which is why I stated anecdotal examples are essentially meaningless. ACTUAL stats on NHL impacting Euro forward production adversely would be interesting. No search on Google revealed that kind of data being collected. Maybe its out there, it would be substantiation, that you think 5 examples proves your point is laughable.
Go find out how many FINNISH players made it as 18 or 19 year olds.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Or that were far better than Pulju in recent draft years and at similar age?

Laine, Barkov, Rantanen, Aho.

Is this a trick question? That's just off the top of my head.

its weird that nobody took aho higher....

did he just explode out of the smeeeliga or did everyone assume JP was the driver?

when was the last time scouts were that wrong? Oh right.....Barzal....in the same draft......what an awful draft for scouts....strome....hanifin, zacha, zboril, debrusk...meier, crouse, gurianov, senysyhn should all be at least 10 spots lower at this point.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
its weird that nobody took aho higher....

did he just explode out of the smeeeliga or did everyone assume JP was the driver?

when was the last time scouts were that wrong? Oh right.....Barzal....in the same draft......what an awful draft for scouts....strome....hanifin, zacha, zboril, debrusk...meier, crouse, gurianov, senysyhn should all be at least 10 spots lower at this point.
I mean, Strome went PPG last season in the AHL. I think he'll break trough big next season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Rantanen was 20. Other than that you've pretty much listed all of them. Ever.

I highly doubt that and already rebuked whatever point you thought you had. btw Rantanen turned 20 DURING the season in which he first had considerable success. Really we're playing BD games with some of that. Rantanen was only about 5 mths older while having that successful season.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I highly doubt that and already rebuked whatever point you thought you had. btw Rantanen turned 20 DURING the season in which he first had considerable success. Really we're playing BD games with some of that. Rantanen was only about 5 mths older while having that successful season.
Rantanen's birthday is in October. Whether he played some games before that is irrelevant. And no you didn't rebuke anything. Out of hundreds of Finnish players you can't even name a handful who made it at 18-19.

Also a 20 year old Rantanen didn't score at a much higher pace than Jesse last season.

Reactions: Ippenator

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Rantanen's birthday is in October. Whether he played some games before that is irrelevant. And no you didn't rebuke anything. Out of hundreds of Finnish players you can't even name a handful who made it at 18-19.

btw

I took a printscreen of your comment before edit including you posting "and no you didn't you dummy". For posterity and that you are visiting this board and saying crap like that.

Lets me know what nature of poster I'm interacting with. I won't waste further time.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I think Mikko Rantanen is a very comparable player, although id argue JP has higher upside.

MR played 9 games and got sent to the AHL, (which could have happened with JP just later)
Then he put up 38pts in 75 games which is respectable but he did get to play most of the season.
after that he put up 80+ pts in his true 2nd season, which this season will be for JP.

Oilers are in such a shitty position really with how piss poor wing depth we got. Kind of hard to shelter and develop at the same time. I mean, if JP doesn't knock everyones' socks off, do you send him down to the AHL to play primo minutes or let him 'marinate' bottom 6?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
maybe because scratched and benched much of the season and only ever got 56mins with Drasaitl this season. could be something to do with that.
50 games, 12 points.
65 games, 20 points.

Why are you defending a player who put up less points while playing essentially the same deployment and minutes, yet bashing the player who is 4 years younger and already better.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So just as addendum to the thread, and McCupofOil assertion that young Euros struggle and that few ever produce better than Pulju at this time I offer the following just found in the two last NHL seasons that Euros of same age have been better;

Bratt
Serkachyov
Laine
Rantenen
Aho
Provorov
Pastrnak
Nylander
Burakowsky
Zacha
Ehlers

According to others I wasn't supposed to be able to find such a list of young Euros doing very well in the NHL. All of whom have also shown much more rounded NHL play and/or have even driven NHL play.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
50 games, 12 points.
65 games, 20 points.

Why are you defending a player who put up less points while playing essentially the same deployment and minutes, yet bashing the player who is 4 years younger and already better.

One player gets the out of having been ruined by Eakins. That's my basis. I think there WAS a player there. That's all. I'm not the one usually bringing it up. People often say "why did you like Gagner, Yakupov, etc" and I offer response. Maybe I shouldn't. ;)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
One player gets the out of having been ruined by Eakins. That's my basis. I think there WAS a player there. That's all. I'm not the one usually bringing it up. People often say "why did you like Gagner, Yakupov, etc" and I offer response. Maybe I shouldn't. ;)
Impressive that one of them was ruined by eakins when he was playing all the way in Russia still.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
?

I have no idea what you mean by this. Eakins was Yakupovs coach here of longest duration. Am I missing some reference in your post?
I was referencing how you say Slepyshev wasn't given a chance, and then when people wonder why Puljujarvi doesnt get a chance, you shut them down and say he doesn't deserve one.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
btw

I took a printscreen of your comment before edit including you posting "and no you didn't you dummy". For posterity and that you are visiting this board and saying crap like that.

Lets me know what nature of poster I'm interacting with. I won't waste further time.
Yes, i edited it out because i didn't want to insult you. Shame on me?

Mods remove both posts if you're going to remove this one.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes, i edited it out because i didn't want to insult you. Shame on me?

Mods remove both posts if you're going to remove this one.
You referred to me as "a dummy" twice for the record the latest of which was already deleted by a mod, not you.

Not that I intend to have any other dialog with somebody with that interactional leaning. Just to point it out to the thread. You are also a visitor to this board, and as such should probably limit your flaming.

In contrast my posting on this topic is regarding an Oiler player and on an Oiler board, as an Oiler poster. Why are you here? (rhetorical question)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I was referencing how you say Slepyshev wasn't given a chance, and then when people wonder why Puljujarvi doesnt get a chance, you shut them down and say he doesn't deserve one.

Thanks, didn't know you were speaking of Slepy. It wasn't the "Eakins ruined" player I was referencing.

ftr I don't really feel Pulju is not deserving of a chance. A top prospect deserves that chance. What I stated is more in line with "earning your quality minutes" which is a McLellan hallmark albeit he is inconsistent with it. FTR I would have Pulju up topsix for more minutes and on PP for more minutes. As stated its not like the other options are at all wonderful. ;)

My own strategy would be to experiment every so often to see how a player does with better minutes and rotate them in there. McLellan does that, but I would do it more regularly and possibly more extended periods. Especially in a season in which the club wasn't making the playoffs.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I mean, Strome went PPG last season in the AHL. I think he'll break trough big next season.

It’s almost like it’s foolish to write off players because of what they do at 18/19 years of age. Yet because there have been 3 better Finnish teenagers in the last 20 years than Puljujarvi he should be considered a bust according to some who dedicate half their life to this thread.

Reactions: TB12

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Slepy was gifted top 6 minutes all year long this season and repeatedly earned time in the press box for lack of effort. Shame as he had the skill to be good if only he tried.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Slepy was gifted top 6 minutes all year long this season and repeatedly earned time in the press box for lack of effort. Shame as he had the skill to be good if only he tried.

Slepy had 56mins with Draisaitl all season and few minutes with McD. Sorry, this is inaccurate.

Reactions: Aerrol

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Oilers are in such a ****ty position really with how piss poor wing depth we got. Kind of hard to shelter and develop at the same time. I mean, if JP doesn't knock everyones' socks off, do you send him down to the AHL to play primo minutes or let him 'marinate' bottom 6?

I agree with you...

but you'd be hard pressed to argue that rantanen was sheltered playing in that dumpster fire Colorado his first full year. In fact id even argue that if JP was gifted the same opportunity aka 3/4 of a season with offensive players hes got 50 pts and we are arguing about how many he gets next year 70-80.

Rantanen also got reasonable PP time, something we barely say for Jesse. I still think he will blow up and be the star he was in Jr

Reactions: PGW and PulYou

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
You referred to me as "a dummy" twice for the record the latest of which was already deleted by a mod, not you.

Not that I intend to have any other dialog with somebody with that interactional leaning. Just to point it out to the thread. You are also a visitor to this board, and as such should probably limit your flaming.

In contrast my posting on this topic is regarding an Oiler player and on an Oiler board, as an Oiler poster. Why are you here? (rhetorical question)
I am on here because I'm interested in Jesse and his development. As far as i know there are no entry requirements to any of these forums. So i'll post wherever i please.

Reactions: TB12 and nabob

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017

I read one page of this thread and now ignoring you. Well done.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I am on here because I'm interested in Jesse and his development. As far as i know there are no entry requirements to any of these forums. So i'll post wherever i please.

Anybody can post here, within forum rules. The rhetorical question had to do with why a visitor would post here and proceed to flame here. That rarely goes very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad