Player Discussion JESPERI KOTKANIEMI

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Hes really worked on his skating and he looks much improved. He's still awkward, but not nearly as unbalanced and he's really been able to throw his weight around.
JFresh just came out with an individual player skating profile. KK’s top speed, 18mph+, 20mph+ as a percent of shift has jumped up greatly 21-22 versus 22-23.

For forwards, Necas aho martinook Jarvis are
”faster/higher shift throughput” but KK is no longer a team laggard

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
JFresh just came out with an individual player skating profile. KK’s top speed, 18mph+, 20mph+ as a percent of shift has jumped up greatly 21-22 versus 22-23.

Free Tableau currently available to view.

What I find interesting is both Aho and Svech drop in top speed from 21-22 to 22-23 as well as in 18 MPH bursts per 60, while Kotkaniemi went up quite a bit. Before he was down with Neiderreiter and only ahead of Noesen, Stepan, Stastny, and 21-22 Teravainen. Now Kotkaniemi is close to the midpoint for NHL players.

If Kotkaniemi can be an average NHL skater, he's going to have a good career.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016

Great job KK. It would be easy to make it to the show and get your money and not give a crap about improving his skating. It takes a great dedication to being the best you can be and a desire to screw Montreal at every opportunity. The last part of that sentence may not be completely but we can never be 100% sure he doesn't want to screw the Canadiens.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Hockey reference now does nicknames.

Kotkaniemi’s are KK, Jeppu, and Moomin?

Alliteration, a gf pet name, and a cow joke?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Great game last night to bring him back up to ppg pace, nice assist and goal to tie it up

He's shown good vision so that pass to Orlov is stuff we've seen from him before, but that goal was impressive. He had to reach for the pass a bit. His ability to reach for it, corral it and shoot it quickly, smoothly and accurately was impressive. A common complaint in the past has been he takes too long to get his shot of, well, he didn't take long at all in that instance.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Hockey reference now does nicknames.

Kotkaniemi’s are KK, Jeppu, and Moomin?

Alliteration, a gf pet name, and a cow joke?

Occasionally offensive nickname for Finns, after the white, thick, loved characters in the classic children's books and comics by Tove Jansson. Big in Japan.

hqdefault.jpg

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Is this another Tulsky bullseye?

Was banging the drum for this guy on our boards pre-draft as a Dubas replacement.

Dubas wants to be Eric Tulsky when he grows up.

What a gem, Carolina.

Tulsky is undoubtedly a major contributor but it's hard to quantify the contributions of the different parts of the amalgamation we call The Borg. Dundon hit a home run when he put together a management team instead of the hierarchical structure used by the other NHL franchises. Waddell is of course a major contributor, Brind'Amour has said he has much more input than he's seen with most coaching positions, Dundon is himself active, and there are a bunch of other contributors.

Having said that, I've read several in depth interviews with Tulsky and he is a brilliant guy. It's not just his analytics that are so valuable but his general management skills and his recognition and ability to communicate how systems work. If he is hired by another team as a GM I'm sure he'll attempt to implement a similar structure to what the Canes have built. Hopefully that doesn't happen in the near future.

Last edited:

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Tulsky is undoubtedly a major contributor but it's hard to quantify the contributions of the different parts of the amalgamation we call The Borg. Dundon hit a home run when he put together a management team instead of the hierarchical structure used by the other NHL franchises. Waddell is of course a major contributor, Brind'Amour has said he has much more input than he's seen with most coaching positions, Dundon is himself active, and there are a bunch of other contributors.

Having said that, I've read several in depth interviews with Tulsky and he is a brilliant guy. It's not just his analytics that are so valuable but his general management skills and his recognition and ability to communicate how systems work. If he is hired by another team as a GM I'm sure he'll attempt to implement a similar structure to what the Canes have built. Hopefully that doesn't happen in the hear future.
Appreciate the rundown!

I did a modest analysis of Carolina’s assets pre-draft to outline why Tulsky is such an ideal candidate:

The war chest, the glut of picks, percentage of cap allocation at position that establishes an appropriate bar, depth everywhere, the Finals appearance, and a club poised to contend consistently in n the near long term because of that foundational aggregate.

And…zero drama?

Canes aren’t getting enough spotlight for what a tremendous job management has done.

Steward this uncommonly well run club and it’s future for the rare thing it is, Canes fans.

From Toronto with envy.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Having said that, I've read several in depth interviews with Tulsky and he is a brilliant guy. It's not just his analytics that are so valuable but his general management skills and his recognition and ability to communicate how systems work. If he is hired by another team as a GM I'm sure he'll attempt to implement a similar structure to what the Canes have built. Hopefully that doesn't happen in the near future.
Tulsky, Waddell and Brind'Amour are the 3 guys within the organization who truly have a blank check available to them whenever they want a contract extension. Dundon will let him look and interview wherever he wants, but at the end of the day, he's going to be willing to match or exceed any offer Tulsky gets elsewhere, and has been up front and public about his intentions to do so when asked.

Reactions: Unsustainable

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Appreciate the rundown!

I did a modest analysis of Carolina’s assets pre-draft to outline why Tulsky is such an ideal candidate:

The war chest, the glut of picks, percentage of cap allocation at position that establishes an appropriate bar, depth everywhere, the Finals appearance, and a club poised to contend consistently in n the near long term because of that foundational aggregate.

And…zero drama?

Canes aren’t getting enough spotlight for what a tremendous job management has done.

Steward this uncommonly well run club and it’s future for the rare thing it is, Canes fans.

From Toronto with envy.

I'd classify Tulsky as somewhat of a superstar in his role. But you've got to credit Dundon for creating an unconventional (maybe even revolutionary by old school NHL standards?) management team. My impression is that Dundon isn't the most well liked figure amongst the NHL old guard. I wonder if that might contribute to the lack of credit for the franchise's success since he took over? That, plus just the fact that Carolina isn't a Canadian or big market team.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I'd classify Tulsky as somewhat of a superstar in his role. But you've got to credit Dundon for creating an unconventional (maybe even revolutionary by old school NHL standards?) management team. My impression is that Dundon isn't the most well liked figure amongst the NHL old guard. I wonder if that might contribute to the lack of credit for the franchise's success since he took over?
Ownership with good will and clear goals is priceless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad