Player Discussion JESPERI KOTKANIEMI

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Sure, that would make sense if it was indeed a dunk. This was more like a guy going for a dunk and not being able to jump high enough to pull it off so he just jams the ball against the rim.

Anyhow, I'm glad KK is producing at the level he is. I was skeptical of his offensive prowess so if he keeps it up, I'll be happy to have been wrong about it.

I don't want to put any bad juju on Jesperi...but this is a dunkable situation.

1. Mtl says the offre hostile was just out of spite
2. Mtl claim JK is overpaid
3. Mtl claim Dvorak is > JK. Habs win again!
4. Mtl claim Jesperi is a bust at 21?
5. bambi on skates yada yada yada
6. Jesperi now...may have a case he would be Mtl's best player (Caufield/Suzuki scoring as well...but are they as good defensively? They're also getting 4-6 more mins toi/gm.)
7. Jesperi has been showing good vision, good 2 way play, a little physicality, improved skating, and an improved release...all nice signs of growth.

I don't think Jesperi would develop like he has here if he were still in Mtl but Carolina couldn't be happier with how this played out. This is a big W for the Canes.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Sure, that would make sense if it was indeed a dunk. This was more like a guy going for a dunk and not being able to jump high enough to pull it off so he just jams the ball against the rim.

Anyhow, I'm glad KK is producing at the level he is. I was skeptical of his offensive prowess so if he keeps it up, I'll be happy to have been wrong about it.
I’m a big KK fan. I think he has the skills, definitely the size, but I don’t know if he has the “smarts” to get to that next level of sustained success. Maybe that will come with time.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't want to put any bad juju on Jesperi...but this is a dunkable situation.
1. Mtl says the offre hostile was just out of spite: There's some truth to that.
2. Mtl claim JK is overpaid: Year 1, he certainly was. Current contract, he's not
3. Mtl claim Dvorak is > JK. Habs win again!: Yep, that's dunk worthy.
4. Mtl claim Jesperi is a bust at 21?: Some definitely did. A bunch didn't as well and were upset that MTL let him go. Like anything, the more vocal ones get the attention.
5. bambi on skates yada yada yada: In fairness, when he first got here, he was Bambi on skates. He's gotten better but he's still gangly in his stride and not a great skater. He's definitely gotten stronger on his skates year over year.
6. Jesperi now...may have a case he would be Mtl's best player (Caufield/Suzuki scoring as well...but are they as good defensively? They're also getting 4-6 more mins toi/gm.). Assuming KK will be producing in the same manner on MTL is faulty reasoning. He has adapted and fits the Canes system well and has developed some chemistry and is overall, playing with better players. Canes arguably have 5 or even 6 defensemen better than MTL's best defenseman.
7. Jesperi has been showing good vision, good 2 way play, a little physicality, improved skating, and an improved release...all nice signs of growth. Yep, I agree. I think his "2 way play" is overrated a bit by Canes fans, but he's solid.

I don't think Jesperi would develop like he has here if he were still in Mtl: Agree but Carolina couldn't be happier with how this played out. Agree
This is a big W for the Canes. Agree

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Would you call that a....slam dunk?
Sure, but that's not what I was responding to. The tweet referenced showed xGF numbers of KK vs. Suzuki and the fan was trying to dunk on it.

1) It's 10 games
2) The xGF% wasn't any better (in fact, Suzuki's 5v5 xGF% is better than KK while playing with worse players).
3) Suzuki has 61 and 66 point season under his belt on bad MTL teams.
4) Suzuki really has nothing to do with KK. Dvorak, sure.

My point is, there's plenty to dunk on (or at least an easy lay up) given the Canes are happy with KK. Going out of the way to try and make up stuff on top of that makes the fan look bad, petty and a bit uniformed IMO.

Reactions: geehaad and DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Take the L, dude.
Huh? I'm happy with KK right now and it looks to be a good move for the Canes. I just thought the specific thing that tweeter was doing was dumb for the reasons I stated. If you don't agree, that's fine.

EDIT: It's also probably why I don't follow many people nor participate in discussions on twitter as this sort of stuff isn't my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
KK is scoring like a top line guy but is 9th in competition playing percentage. Add in we thought so highly of him playing center that we promoted Turbo to 1C.

He is also the third line of ice time too.

Scoring ppg is fun but he isn’t playing like a 1C

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Is anyone saying otherwise?
(*whispers*) I don’t know I can’t be expected to read all this but I’m gathering some people are mad that others are dunking on Montreal about KK and at this point I think the case is open and shut we can dunk any time we want. Also the word “1C” is on this page of this thread like 18 times so I figure someone’s talking about it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I mean, I like KK as much as the next Canes fan. But I'm not sure if I'd take him over Suzuki. I definitely wouldn't take him over Caulfield.

But regardless of all that, he's signed to a great long-term deal, he's effective even when he's not putting up points (and very effective now that he is), and any Montreal fans that still try to make it seem like the offer sheet was anything but a success for Carolina are simply wrong (though to be fair, there's not a lot left.)

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I mean, I like KK as much as the next Canes fan. But I'm not sure if I'd take him over Suzuki. I definitely wouldn't take him over Caulfield.

But regardless of all that, he's signed to a great long-term deal, he's effective even when he's not putting up points (and very effective now that he is), and any Montreal fans that still try to make it seem like the offer sheet was anything but a success for Carolina are simply wrong (though to be fair, there's not a lot left.)
Agree. And frankly there wouldn’t be much dunking if we didn’t hear for 2 years how it was a dumbass offer sheet only made to spite the Habs for the Aho OS. Of course it’s become clear that we just really liked the player (even tried to trade for him first) and felt we could develop him better than MTL had. Which we have.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
You don’t need a larger sample size to dunk on Habs fans on the main board.

You just need a larger sample size to use Kotkaniemi to do so.
Idk about that. At first it was he is a bust and its a dumb move, well then he played well enough to be a solid player. Next time was we paid him too much which of course we replied with they won't pay him that much on the next contract. So we hear he won't take less now that he's making 6+. Well he did, for long term, and so far he is earning what the Canes are paying him if not more.

Do I say backboard breaking dunk on those Habs clowns all day long. Redneck NASCAR hockey at its finest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad