Player Discussion JESPERI KOTKANIEMI

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Man if he had scored on the lacrosse move yesterday, HFB would have been extra spicy today in the main forum

Shame
was so happy to see him have the confidence to go for it, and it wasn't a bad attempt at all. I think Svech coming back to Koko's line will only help his production too, Turbo has been great but just not as good of a fit w/ Koko/Necas as Svech is.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
*attempt at* Moving Koko discussion into designated Koko thread.

Look I’m one of the guys saying we need production from him. I think it’s great we’re getting it. The whole adding pts from the previous season and acting like it’s all one big season is kind of ridiculous.

If he keeps it up, yes he’s there. Even the strongest voices were hoping it worked out. It’s been completely fair to reserve judgement.
I generally agree that taking random samples across seasons is silly, but that said the eye test matches those stats -- he really started looking like a different (better) player midway through last year with noticeably better skating (biggest and most impactful improvement), a bit quicker release and decision making, etc. I think it's encouraging that he's carried that over into this year and the production has come along with it so far. It's not just stats being skewed by handpicked sample sizes but he genuinely has looked much better on the ice in that time period and keeps trending up. He very much has looked the part of a legit all around Cup-winning caliber 2C. Needs to keep it up of course but considering his age and what we've seen from his development as a Cane, I feel good about those odds.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
*attempt at* Moving Koko discussion into designated Koko thread.

I generally agree that taking random samples across seasons is silly, but that said the eye test matches those stats -- he really started looking like a different (better) player midway through last year with noticeably better skating (biggest and most impactful improvement), a bit quicker release and decision making, etc. I think it's encouraging that he's carried that over into this year and the production has come along with it so far. It's not just stats being skewed by handpicked sample sizes but he genuinely has looked much better on the ice in that time period and keeps trending up. He very much has looked the part of a legit all around Cup-winning caliber 2C. Needs to keep it up of course but considering his age and what we've seen from his development as a Cane, I feel good about those odds.
This man speaks the truth!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Those charts don't seem very "flex" worthy to me.

If I read them right, while KK is on the ice, the Canes have an expected GF of just over 2, and an expected GA of just better than -2. Per NST, his 5v5 xGF% is 50.83%. His GF% is 55.56%.

Suzuki has an xGF of just over zero (maybe .2?) and an xGA of just over zero (maybe + .3). Per NST, his 5v5 xGF% is 50.93%. His 5v5 GF% is 66.67%

With the goal being to score more than your opponent while you are on the ice, it seems like the two of them are about the same in that regards, no?

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
20231030_232615.jpg
20231030_232615.jpg

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Those charts don't seem very "flex" worthy to me.

If I read them right, while KK is on the ice, the Canes have an expected GF of just over 2, and an expected GA of just better than -2. Per NST, his 5v5 xGF% is 50.83%. His GF% is 55.56%.

Suzuki has an xGF of just over zero (maybe .2?) and an xGA of just over zero (maybe + .3). Per NST, his 5v5 xGF% is 50.93%. His 5v5 GF% is 66.67%

With the goal being to score more than your opponent while you are on the ice, it seems like the two of them are about the same in that regards, no?
It’s hard to flex with any start this early.

I figured that KK’s defensive numbers is being saddled with the Orlov-TDA pair early one. I went to investigate.

KK with that pair, 0GFs 2GAs, 47% expected
KK with Orlov w/o TDA, 1GF 0GA, 65% expected
KK with TDA w/o Orlov, 1GF 1GA, 44% expected
KK w/o both, 8GF 5GA, 48% expected

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It’s hard to flex with any start this early.
I agree. Especially when you also consider, as a team, Carolina is in the top 10 of the NHL for xGF% and MTL is in the bottom 10.

Just a really weird, and petty tweet to make in the first place.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Nah, you should dunk on Montreal, whether it makes sense or not, whenever you can.
Sure, that would make sense if it was indeed a dunk. This was more like a guy going for a dunk and not being able to jump high enough to pull it off so he just jams the ball against the rim.

Anyhow, I'm glad KK is producing at the level he is. I was skeptical of his offensive prowess so if he keeps it up, I'll be happy to have been wrong about it.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Sure, that would make sense if it was indeed a dunk. This was more like a guy going for a dunk and not being able to jump high enough to pull it off so he just jams the ball against the rim.

Anyhow, I'm glad KK is producing at the level he is. I was skeptical of his offensive prowess so if he keeps it up, I'll be happy to have been wrong about it.
if Suzuki and Koko are the same though as your interpretation of that stat suggests, then that is a dunk as they view him as a legit 1C so by transitive property Koko must be as well, in which case slam dunk bithces, game blouses

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Perhaps not sustainable but right now at 1C production/play.

We need it with Aho’s injury.
it seems like KK's line is set so Svech moves up to 1st line LW when ready. Personally, I loved the SAT line given TT's play on his off wing. if this line is reunited, Jarvis could move to Staal's line and Fast goes to the 4th line with drury and Noesen.

jarvis can hound the puck knowing staal and marty are supporting him. Good problem to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad