Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'm confused, if Jordo became a 20-30 pt defensive 3C, that still has value to us. ALSO, while we might consider trading him (especially if Kotka and Tro work out), we'd probably have to pay for someone to take a 20-30 pt 3C making $6M...so no we wouldn't trade home then either.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
one of the major standout things you see when you look at kotkaniemi's numbers is that he doesn't shoot enough. his first season in the league was the only year he came close to doing so and it was his best season. whatever caused his confidence to crater between year 1 and year 2 never really wore off for the remainder of his entry level deal. it's funny to me how on draft night you draft a player as a project late-bloomer and play him in the league at 18. desperate GMs can be as bad as fans of the same variety sometimes. there probably would have been no harm allowing him to play his draft plus 1 season at home. kotkaniemi's development probably would have looked more like what was done with necas in an ideal world, but the top 3 pick pressure accelerated his timeline unnaturally. it's funny because i think you could say the same for kappo kakko and his development has gone a little sideways with the rangers. some enterprising team might be wise to note the success of the approach we took and try to pry him out of there. i think kotkaniemi will be able to just do his own part on a line here and be so much better for it. we'll be able to put him with guys that can carry play as he finds his legs.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
I Google'ed "Jesperi Kotkaniemi falling down" and got zero hits. What is all this talk about him "falling all the time?"

Reactions: Tryamw

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
I'm confused, if Jordo became a 20-30 pt defensive 3C, that still has value to us. ALSO, while we might consider trading him (especially if Kotka and Tro work out), we'd probably have to pay for someone to take a 20-30 pt 3C making $6M...so no we wouldn't trade home then either.
Why trade him when we can kill him?

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
The Canes first round pick might be as late as 30th even without Jesperi. Kotkaniemi is a young NHL player that is going to be in the line up this season. A 30th and a 90th pick or wherever those picks actually fall are gambles.

True, but Montreal is trying to follow the Carolina model and is salivating at the chance to pick 47th, 59th, 104th, 112th, and 158th in the 2023 draft.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
as far as nickname stuff goes, it seems he was called "Jepu" back home? i'll defer to what aho and teuvo end up calling him.

it's interesting also to think about how turbo is going to be able to help him. his experience in chicago has some similarities in terms of high expectations and how the jump has been a little overwhelming with the high pick and the hype. aho was the antidote for turbo. watching him come in and play the assertive and cheeky style he plays was so good for bringing out turbo's competitive drive and swagger. get the kid over here and let him have fun again. kick to the wing for a less intense defensive responsibility and just fall in love with doing cool shit because your linemates are really good. it's like watching a boxer that won't let his hands go when kids this talented start playing grinder hockey.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
as far as nickname stuff goes, it seems he was called "Jepu" back home? i'll defer to what aho and teuvo end up calling him.
Yes. Confirming of which reminded me:

It made into headlines in the old country when a fan noticed Jepu's stick being ink-marked "Get angry already you f***ing asshole".

Armia and Lehkonen were suspected.

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
Haha watched Bergevin press conference and read what habs are saying (french), Hilarious , saying things like every team would have traded KK and a 2nd for Dvorak and a 3rd ,Bergevin saying it would be illegal for the canes to sign KK for less than 6.1 , i could see habs fan wearing those Make Habs Great Again lol

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
Speaking of names, and based on these threads and mentions elsewhere, "Kotkaniemi" seems to be a magical combination of letters that is immune to misspelling in North America. Compare that to poor Antti Niemi who was "Neimi" half the time.

Reactions: Vagrant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad