Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Alright so all your Finns are belong to us.

But for real, what are our expectations/hopes for the young man we just picked up? Whats his ceiling, what line/line-mates works best for him? Etc.

Let's discuss! :laugh:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Alright so all your Finns are belong to us.

But for real, what are our expectations/hopes for the young man we just picked up? Whats his ceiling, what line/line-mates works best for him? Etc.

Let's discuss! :laugh:
I expect this year he'll be around 45-50 points as a second line wing getting looks at C as needed since injuries happen. Long term he moves to 2C following Trochek having another big year and cashing in for something unpalatable for us long term like Dougie did this off-season. Following that he rounds out to be a 60-70 point 2C with say Necas and Jarvis on his wing being the kids line here.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I expect this year he'll be around 45-50 points as a second line wing getting looks at C as needed since injuries happen. Long term he moves to 2C following Trochek having another big year and cashing in for something unpalatable for us long term like Dougie did this off-season. Following that he rounds out to be a 60-70 point 2C with say Necas and Jarvis on his wing being the kids line here.
You and you serious replys

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Take care of him, he's a good kid and once he figures out what type of player he wants to be (with proper guidance), he'll be a force to be wreckin with...

I can see him as a 60-70 pts guy with strong 2-way game and solid physicality (he enjoys the big hits).

He needs to work on his balance , his skating in general and his release but he's only just turned 21 and the potential is there (imo). Hope it works out for him moving forward!

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I would hate to be a Montreal fan who changed their username to something around Kotkaniemi during the playoff run

Also can we just move over their prospect thread from 2018 and merge it into here?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
To be real, his draft season and subsequent NHL career reminds me a lot of Lindholm. Both put up extremely respectable stats for draft eligible players playing professionally in Europe, then both proceeded to put up pretty underwhelming numbers their first few years in the NHL while still showing some promise. Do I necessarily think Kotkaniemi will be another Lindholm? Truthfully not really, but I still there's a lot more Kotkaniemi can give as he gets older and gains more experience.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Excited to see what this kid can do for the Canes. I think this was an excellent move that will pay big dividends in the future.

You are 100% correct and your opinions are 100% true and accurate every single time. Everyone should have to pay to read your thoughts. I cannot believe The Athletic haven't picked you up yet. Better yet, Dundon needs to give you a front office job.

Not a smart move. This kid is overpaid isn’t worth what they gave up to get him. Strongly disagree with this move.

Unbelievable, once again your negativity reeks into a serious debate thread and causes nothing but bitterness, friction, anger, and just flat out dumbassery. You should be ashamed of yourself and I for one want you forever banned from HfCanes. You can go hang out in the BoH and main board instead, they'll like your scorching hot-takes.

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
His ceiling is probably serviceable 2C. Much of the Habs fanbase overrates him due to his draft pedigree (should have gone more like 10 even then but Habs drafted for organizational need) but if you watch him play with a critical eye over 3 years as I did you know the only way he becomes a 60-70 point player is if he ends up on a line with McDavid or plays very sheltered minutes. His greatest issue is his balance and his skating overall is middling. His passing skills are good but his hockey IQ is far from exceptional so his playmaking is frustratingly inconsistent. His shot is heavy and quite accurate but his release is slow and therefore he has difficultly beating goalies in games. Hence his goal totals over the past 2 seasons. Overall I think he's a $2.5-3M player right now and when the offer sheet was announced I was hoping the Habs would not match because he's now going to be overpaid by a factor of at least 2. I wanted to be wrong about him while he was a Hab but had a large degree of confidence in my evaluation, now I'm happy to see him go for a couple picks. Good luck with him in any case, he seems like a decent person and I'd like to see him succeed.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
If this kid comes through and proves he should be playing Center, would the Canes even entertain, moving Jordon Staal, either at the trade deadline, or after the season, especially if he slides back to a 20 to low 30 point player this year?

It would put the "C" on Aho which he would carry 2 years before he becomes eligible to be an unrestricted FA

Reactions: WreckingCrew

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If this kid comes through and proves he should be playing Center, would the Canes even entertain, moving Jordon Staal, either at the trade deadline, or after the season, especially if he slides back to a 20 to low 30 point player this year?

It would put the "C" on Aho which he would carry 2 years before he becomes eligible to be an unrestricted FA

No, that’s dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad