Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Thought he was better then last game but still not very good. He's not bad but it's more like he's just holding on, just getting by.
I have missed much of the last 3 games but I definitely value anything that you say about any player. As soon as I read your post the thing that I thought of was how free and creative Kotka looked in the preseason and his first 2-3 regular season games and then it hit me.
877270960.jpg

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I dont think hes there yet. He isnt costing us but he isnt producimg either.

Thing is, his issue is the speed the game is being played at but going to Laval or even worse,Finland,ismt going to help that.

He needs to stick around to get used to it
Going to have to disagree here. Most people don't learn well by starting at the most difficult level. The smaller ice and speed of the game are new to him. He would likely be best served by figuring out the nuances of the NA game at a lower level then coming back with a revised and honed approach at a later date. Just hanging on for dear life and not trying new things for fear of failing doesn't exactly provide a fertile environment for him to grow his game.

Ultimately he may surprise and blossom quickly by staying in the NHL, but I feel that is a risky approach. If he struggles for the rest of the season then we have squandered away an immensely valuable year of ELC affordability for nothing.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I have missed much of the last 3 games but I definitely value anything that you say about any player. As soon as I read your post the thing that I thought of was how free and creative Kotka looked in the preseason and his first 2-3 regular season games and then it hit me.
877270960.jpg
Kotka is not being used properly, he’s always playing with Armia, Benn, Ouellet, gets no PP time, still creates chances, could easily of had a few more points and be PPG right now, but passenger man golden boy Danault has 3 points playing with Tatar and Gally... Danault would have zero points if you switched their situation around,and Kotka who knows what he would have, and people would be freaking out that he’s producing. @montreal is not being fair here.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I disagree. He's playing, he's learning.

If we weren't winning, sure. If he wasn't getting ice time, sure. But he's adapting. He's getting icetime. We're winning.

Even last year, Kotkaniemi had a slow start and once he adapted fully, he went on fire.

This isn't your typical prospect. He's smart. That puts him above most highly skilled prospects who have huge defensive problems.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Imo
Pretty hard to break Danault or Domi's line right now, i'm sure the kid will have his chance.....long season, injury, slump....line changes all the time, but dont expect any changes for the next game that's for sure, and he is here to stay, just too good already
He's definitely one of out top 9 nine forwards already and even higher on the depth chart. The question is, as someone who just turned 18, would he develop more offensively by being a first line dominant center in the AHL or Finland or as 3rd line center in the NHL. Confidence is huge for a hockey player.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If his linemates continue to play like they did last night then I'd send him to AHL to play with the best wingers of that team.

It was 1 pass and lost possession for the line, really tough to make anything happen.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He made an objective observation and one that most of us would agree with. What is your point and why even ask such a question? If he doesn't care for the player then he will say as much.
It's not the only post I've noticed, he generally seems unenthused from what I've seen - which is why i asked the question. Maybe he never liked the pick?

Hope this helps you understand

Reactions: teamfirst

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Imo

He's definitely one of out top 9 nine forwards already and even higher on the depth chart. The question is, as someone who just turned 18, would he develop more offensively by being a first line dominant center in the AHL or Finland or as 3rd line center in the NHL. Confidence is huge for a hockey player.

He is learning how to play the grind game as our 3rd line center. If he stays, we are hoping he learns to do the little things right before he learns how to be a more offensive player?

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Imo

Fair enough, but IMO smiley already has plenty of that confidence, it shows just by the way he is carrying himself both on and off the ice, maybe im wrong but to me he is the kind of player that cannot be ruined.....cool and collected as we say

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
There's confidence, and then there's retaining an offence first mindset. That's the only thing I'm worried about, as much as Kotkaniemi has 2 way ability, we didn't draft him to be a two way guy. We want him to be that point/game #1C. I don't know if he has it in him, but I want him to at least try and be that guy. As long as he's getting consistant minutes at C (he is), he's got quality linemates (he does), and he's taking chances offensively, I'm happy for him to stick around. The last thing is the one to watch the most though. If he starts playing "safe", you send him to Laval.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I disagree. He's playing, he's learning.

If we weren't winning, sure. If he wasn't getting ice time, sure. But he's adapting. He's getting icetime. We're winning.

Even last year, Kotkaniemi had a slow start and once he adapted fully, he went on fire.

This isn't your typical prospect. He's smart. That puts him above most highly skilled prospects who have huge defensive problems.

You have some point but he’s currently learning to play without the puck, we aleady know he exels in defensive situation with his positioning, i’m not worry one bit in that aspect of his game, he’ll be even better as he get stronger. When he has the puck on his tape he’s always creating and making good plays, problem with now is he’s playing down low without the puck to make sure he hs his cover and don’t cheat and he plays with people who sucks at puck possession, so the result is he barely ever has the puck because the play dies before he can put himself in it. The development curve at that age is crucial and we are currently focusing on a aspect we shouldn’t be worried about. Play him with offensive puck possession player at even strengh AND powerplay or send him back to Laval where he will play top minute and be the TO GO guy in every situation and drive the play constantly. Claude Julien is freaking me out right now. Yes he’s playing 15mins a match but i’m not feeling these are quality minutes offense wise.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Imo

Being demoted after playing 14-15 minutes a night in the NHL, putting up some points, and being fairly responsible could give poor confidence as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Drebin

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Thought he was better then last game but still not very good. He's not bad but it's more like he's just holding on, just getting by.
Pretty much. No one can say that he's had more impact/played better than Peca/Domi/Danault. He's basically a lower end bottom 6 C at the moment with lot of room to grow his game offensively/defensively/strength wise. He's not out of place on the ice but not really making an impact unless you solely focus on him and ignore that other players on the team also have nice plays here and there. I'm not sure as many people will be as keen to keep him on the roster if he was a 3rd round pick vs 3rd overall.

Reactions: montreal

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Kotka is not being used properly, he’s always playing with Armia, Benn, Ouellet, gets no PP time, still creates chances, could easily of had a few more points and be PPG right now, but passenger man golden boy Danault has 3 points playing with Tatar and Gally... Danault would have zero points if you switched their situation around,and Kotka who knows what he would have, and people would be freaking out that he’s producing. @montreal is not being fair here.

Gets no PP time?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think Kotka eventually ends up with Tatar and Gallagher, but let him continue getting his feet wet before we heap the pressure on him.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
You have some point but he’s currently learning to play without the puck, we aleady know he exels in defensive situation with his positioning, i’m not worry one bit in that aspect of his game, he’ll be even better as he get stronger. When he has the puck on his tape he’s always creating and making good plays, problem with now is he’s playing down low without the puck to make sure he hs his cover and don’t cheat and he plays with people who sucks at puck possession, so the result is he barely ever has the puck because the play dies before he can put himself in it. The development curve at that age is crucial and we are currently focusing on a aspect we shouldn’t be worried about. Play him with offensive puck possession player at even strengh AND powerplay or send him back to Laval where he will play top minute and be the TO GO guy in every situation and drive the play constantly. Claude Julien is freaking me out right now. Yes he’s playing 15mins a match but i’m not feeling these are quality minutes offense wise.
Why does he need quality offensive minutes right away? Why can't he adapt to the NHL slowly, and get offensive minutes after he's proven he's too good for anything less? It didn't seem to hurt him in Finland where he started from the bottom and worked his way up.

This isn't a mentally fragile prospect like we've had previously. You can see it in his eyes and the way he plays the game. He's ready to be here. And soon enough, he'll be ready to produce offensively.

Personally, I think the AHL would do nothing for Kotkaniemi. I think he's too good already for that.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
There's confidence, and then there's retaining an offence first mindset. That's the only thing I'm worried about, as much as Kotkaniemi has 2 way ability, we didn't draft him to be a two way guy. We want him to be that point/game #1C. I don't know if he has it in him, but I want him to at least try and be that guy. As long as he's getting consistant minutes at C (he is), he's got quality linemates (he does), and he's taking chances offensively, I'm happy for him to stick around. The last thing is the one to watch the most though. If he starts playing "safe", you send him to Laval.
If he's not a 2-way guy, I don't want him on my 1st line anyway.

The best players can be depended on regardless of the situation.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Kadri wasn't stymied playing with Colton Orr and McLaren, but apparently Armia and Byron are bums and not good enough for Kotka lol

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
If he's not a 2-way guy, I don't want him on my 1st line anyway.

The best players can be depended on regardless of the situation.
Ya I'm not saying I don't want him playing D, but we also don't want him playing conservatively when he has the puck.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
He's not going to be a calder candidate that's for sure. But he needs this level and I'm assuming that they will ramp up his responsibilities as people get hurt etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad