Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 20 - Second line centre edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The organization believes KK has one of the best shots on the team.

In practice with all the time and space in the world his shot is nasty. Unfortunately he takes a long time to set up for the shot and his release is way too long. He will need to learn to shoot the puck closer to his body from a more upright stance. Both KK and Anderson have very deliberate load ups and long releases where their sticks are easily checked because their shot path is too far from their body. As I have said previously, KK likely needs to play with a shorter stick in order to facilitate such a change in release points.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
In practice with all the time and space in the world his shot is nasty. Unfortunately he takes a long time to set up for the shot and his release is way too long. He will need to learn to shoot the puck closer to his body from a more upright stance. Both KK and Anderson have very deliberate load ups and long releases where their sticks are easily checked because their shot path is too far from their body. As I have said previously, KK likely needs to play with a shorter stick in order to facilitate such a change in release points.
Yes, he has a really heavy wrister but clearly takes way too much time to release it. Maybe he'll learn with time to be able to create himself enough space/separation for it to work or he'll need to learn to load/release much faster.

I think the reason he uses such a long stick is that he likes to be able to poke check loose pucks on the forecheck like his idol Armia does lol

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
KK's shot power is great. His release is really slow though. Goalies and dmen are gonna block or deflect it away when it takes that long. Most of his goals in the playoffs came from being close to the net.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
KK's shot power is great. His release is really slow though. Goalies and dmen are gonna block or deflect it away when it takes that long. Most of his goals in the playoffs came from being close to the net.
He should also cut to the middle when entering the zone on the right side more often IMO, his goal against the Flyers was a beauty! Elliott didn't see shit lol

kotkaSnipe.gif

Reactions: BLONG7

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yes, he has a really heavy wrister but clearly takes way too much time to release it. Maybe he'll learn with time to be able to create himself enough space/separation for it to work or he'll need to learn to load/release much faster.

I think the reason he uses such a long stick is that he likes to be able to poke check loose pucks on the forecheck like his idol Armia does lol

Yeah it is pretty evident that he values his reach, unfortunately it is creating the biggest roadblock in his development. It is absolutely vital that he learns to shoot off of either foot and to be able to shoot the puck from inside his own shoulders. He needs to watch the way Mathews creates his own shot by having multiple release points depending on the defenders body/stick position. I am not saying that he should be able to entirely emulate Mathews as nobody is at his level in that regard but he does need to understand what he needs to work towards. Having such a long stick makes it difficult to shoot the puck from a closed stance where the stick is so vertical, I really hope someone is in his ear about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19VJ17 and Ozmodiar

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He should also cut to the middle when entering the zone on the right side more often IMO, his goal against the Flyers was a beauty! Elliott didn't see shit lol

kotkaSnipe.gif
If KK's release isn't gonna improve, he needs to get MUCH bigger and faster to just bulldoze his way to the front of the net and score goals that way.

Reactions: shanewalsh

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

kotkaSnipe.gif

He actually tried this alot but had his stick checked almost every time. To be fair this was essentially a 3 on one where it is very easy to get the shot off.......even then he barely avoided being stick checked as he telegraphed the **** out of this shot. I remember this goal vividly and knew that he had not set up properly and was fortunate to get the puck on net. There is no doubt about the power on his wrister when he does get it off cleanly. The approach he took on this play was extremely flawed but it will work at a lower percentage than if he had dragged the puck inside 6-8 inches and rippied it.

This clip is just an example of his typical poor set up that actually worked at that perticular moment.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He actually tried this alot but had his stick checked almost every time. To be fair this was essentially a 3 on one where it is very easy to get the shot off.......even then he barely avoided being stick checked as he telegraphed the **** out of this shot. I remember this goal vividly and knew that he had not set up properly and was fortunate to get the puck on net. There is no doubt about the power on his wrister when he does get it off cleanly. The approach he took on this play was extremely flawed but it will work at a lower percentage than if he had dragged the puck inside 6-8 inches and rippied it.

This clip is just an example of his typical poor set up that actually worked at that perticular moment.
I think he did fine in that particular clip, it seems like he outwaited the D and took the shot when he saw an opening.

In real-time it really seemed like he tried to freeze the play and it was not a poor release/timing thing.

That's why I said he should try and cut to the middle more often maybe he'll get it right eventually with more experience.

But for sure we can agree that if he could release the puck a little faster and not take so much time to get his shot ready he could be a real menace out there.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Yeah it is pretty evident that he values his reach, unfortunately it is creating the biggest roadblock in his development. It is absolutely vital that he learns to shoot off of either foot and to be able to shoot the puck from inside his own shoulders. He needs to watch the way Mathews creates his own shot be having multiple release points depending on the defenders body/stick position. I am not saying that he should be able to entirely emulate Mathews as nobody is at his level in that regard but he does need to understand what he needs to work towards. Having such a long stick makes it difficult to shoot the puck from a closed stance where the stick is so vertical, I really hope someone is in his ear about this.
Yeah, I’m surprised it’s rarely mentioned here. Especially considering the number of pages in this thread. lol

Also, lots of talk of stick length but little about his footwork during the shot. The feet need to be quicker. Sometimes it appears he’s trying a back foot shot, but the feet aren’t set, the knee bend isn’t there, the balance … and it ends up being neither back nor front foot.

sure, trim the stick… but def work on the footwork.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

kotkaSnipe.gif
He will get his head taken off against a strong D core by cutting across the middle, cutting across is considered to be an insult to defensemen, come on man, wake up.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Have to ask...........649 numbers for the next draw would be awesome...
Thx in advance.

All jokes aside.....he will get better linemates, he will get more TOI.....he will have a more defined role....and it begs the question, why are you so sure?
I always tell folks I am an armchair expert...in other words my opinion is based on someone who is a fan who watches alot of games. We all have opinions and none of us really have the pedigree other than being hab fanatics.

Having watched 95% of KK's games I am simply of the mindset that he is nothing special.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
why, because so many posters will be stuck eating a bucket of crow :sarcasm:

seriously though... put your line in the sand... what's your productivity projection for him?

I'd say i'd expect something similar to Huberdeau's D+4 year...

pro-rated (in event of injury) to
15-20goals, 25-35 assists, 40-55pts... ,5-.65ppg while playing 15:30-16:30/night

if he's under that, i'd bet is tied to less ice time (and pro-rates to about that productivity) moreso than worse productivity.

what's the range you see for him?
My guess based on what I have seen is someone who was clearly rushed and that hurt him.

I would be surprised if he exceeds the 34 points he put up in his rookie year.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
My guess based on what I have seen is someone who was clearly rushed and that hurt him.

I would be surprised if he exceeds the 34 points he put up in his rookie year.

will be interesting to revisit these takes in 10 months time.

Reactions: BLONG7

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He will get his head taken off against a strong D core by cutting across the middle, cutting across is considered to be an insult to defensemen, come on man, wake up.
KK is a tough kid, he can handle himself...

And I'm not suggesting he just bulldozes his way to the middle of the crease but it can be done smartly, like show the D you're bringing the puck along the boards behind the net and then suddenly cut to the middle...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I would be extremely happy to be wrong. Kotkaniemi and Dahlin are both not looking like top 3 picks

do you happen to remember Hedman's first few seasons?

Dahlin will be just fine provided the Sabres don't keep imploding. Even last season he was much better later in the season after the Krueger disaster ended.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yeah, I’m surprised it’s rarely mentioned here. Especially considering the number of pages in this thread. lol

Also, lots of talk of stick length but little about his footwork during the shot. The feet need to be quicker. Sometimes it appears he’s trying a back foot shot, but the feet aren’t set, the knee bend isn’t there, the balance … and it ends up being neither back nor front foot.

sure, trim the stick… but def work on the footwork.

He can only shoot from one position and the reason his release is so long is due to how he loads and sets up to shoot. I believe the length of his stick plays a large role in how he sets his feet as it is too difficult to shoot from inside his shoulders and he is constantly looking for the limited comfort zone that such a long stick limits him to. My point is that if he shortens the stick it becomes much easier to find multiple release points that will open up the possibility of exploring more dynamic foot work.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I always tell folks I am an armchair expert...in other words my opinion is based on someone who is a fan who watches alot of games. We all have opinions and none of us really have the pedigree other than being hab fanatics.

Having watched 95% of KK's games I am simply of the mindset that he is nothing special.
Good points....I am of the opinion he has not been given much of a fair shake, but he is also only 21, so I will be patient....I think he has the tools, and will be a much much better player than yourself...
Stay tuned...we both want the habs to do well, so we can hope eh.....

Reactions: Tyson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad