Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Guy Carbonneau, one of the best defensive forward in the history of the NHL, always had the shortest stick he could.
I'm 6'4 and preferred a shorter stick than my height suggested. It allows you to stickhandle better and gave me a better slouch in my skating.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I'm a big fan, both my parents are from Finland and I have almost all my hundreds of relatives there. I speak the language, go to Finland and love it. I'm not a KK hater. Kid has the Finnish trait Sisu in spades.

but I'm also realistic. He sat the first playoff game after over a week of rest. The organization decided he wasnt good enought to play on a marginal team. The kid is in his third year and it's time to start to show up or go home. He's been put in every situation to succeed. Good linemates, PP time etc. But you cant keep putting a player out there who simply isnt producing. Easy to blame EVERYONE else. It's not like his career is over. He's a big lanky kid who will improve with more strength , but he has no elite skills. After next year the young age excuse will be gone. He has to start to show.

confused.gif

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
KK the time is now, to prove you belong.... don't have to score 3 goals tonight... but you do need to contribute in all areas.
faceoffs, hitting, fore check and hitting

time for the big boy pants on tonight

Time for Bubble KK to arrive !

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Big game for KK. Him stepping up and delivering would bode well for his future big time. No excuses.

I just hope he plays with some confidence. A lil swagger. Mistakes will happen but he has to stay out of his head. Finish ;) checks when he can, even on draws at least, stay above the puck, low n dzone, no cross ice passes, good dump ins.....
Just play simple n hard.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
:laugh: I can see how that particular statement can be misconstrued. KK should never have seen the NHL at 18. Probably Finland in year one, and AHL in year two. That's water under the bridge. Year three he's had good line mates, earlier someone posted a chart that showed he got a lot of Anderson , Toffoli etc. He's had some stints on PP (and shown nothing). You cant keep feeding more minutes to a guy who shows little in the minutes you give him. Not fair to other players on team who are producing or play better all around games (Danault). That's just how it goes and should be understood unless your his dad or a super fan.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Big game for him, personally, after getting bumped out of the lineup. ... to prove he belongs.

hope he comes out with lots of (controlled) energy. His line should certainly get the better of the Leafs 3rd and 4th lines.

Reactions: azcanuck

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
:laugh: I can see how that particular statement can be misconstrued. KK should never have seen the NHL at 18. Probably Finland in year one, and AHL in year two. That's water under the bridge. Year three he's had good line mates, earlier someone posted a chart that showed he got a lot of Anderson , Toffoli etc. He's had some stints on PP (and shown nothing). You cant keep feeding more minutes to a guy who shows little in the minutes you give him. Not fair to other players on team who are producing or play better all around games (Danault). That's just how it goes and should be understood unless your his dad or a super fan.

The thing is if you're going to bring a fairly raw 18 year old in the NHL. You need to be committed to his development, because no one else can do it for you. And that's really where the Habs dropped the ball, everything that needed to be done but wasn't done in year #1 & #2 don't just go away because it's year #3.

They really need to pick a lane and stick to it when it come to this guy.

Last edited:

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
The extent of my hopes for him this game: just don't make any costly mistakes, and maybe get a solid hit or two on a Leafs skill player without taking a penalty. He does that, I'll be satisfied.

Reactions: aresknights

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
It's almost like playing 24 games in 42 days wore him out mentally and or physically. Gets 10 days off and gets as many points in one period as he had in the last 19 games.
This is truth. The folk going on about his line mates blah blah blah were full of it, but the idea that he wore down mentally and physically is one that actually holds water.

Hope we get this KK from now on.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
So...he was saving it for the playoffs? LOL...ok. If he turns out to be a very meh reg season player, but magically elevates into a high scoring impact player every single playoffs (Claude Lemieux style), that would make losing out out Tkachuk easier to take.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
Just like that, he erases his goal with an idiotic penalty that leads to a Leafs goal.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Strarts good, scores and just when you think this is his game, he disappears only to reappear with that stupidity which handed the game to Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad