Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
And what's not pointed out is whether KK was a driver or a passenger with those 5 points.

luckily, since you don't watch the games, others have and kindly took the time to answer the question for you...

The maturation of Jesperi Kotkaniemi

"Then, Kotkaniemi’s vision opened the scoring for Montreal, as his partnership with Artturi Lehkonen paid off. While in full stride through the neutral zone Kotkaniemi took a feed from Jeff Petry, blew by Jesse Puljujarvi and entered the Oilers zone with ease. From there he didn’t hold up and try to find a seam, Kotkaniemi pulled the puck back as he drifted across the slot, drawing an Oilers defender out of position. Once he read that he fed a pass to Lehkonen who easily flicked the puck over Mike Smith’s shoulder to open the scoring."

Reactions: Habs178

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
How is it laughable? His skating has barely improved and he takes too long to make decisions with the puck on his stick. His shot is hard but he can’t release it before a defender gets a stick on the puck or telegraph it so much the goalie has no trouble saving it. I expect the strength to increase and not to fall over all the time, but the other two are not going to get much better if at all. To me it indicates a flawed 2nd line centre. If you’re happy with that, fine. To me it’s two disappointments by Timmins at 3rd overall. It’s inexcusable, combined with the constant 1st round failures from 2010-2017.

Can't like this post enough!

Reactions: Habby4Life

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
luckily, since you don't watch the games, others have and kindly took the time to answer the question for you...

The maturation of Jesperi Kotkaniemi

"Then, Kotkaniemi’s vision opened the scoring for Montreal, as his partnership with Artturi Lehkonen paid off. While in full stride through the neutral zone Kotkaniemi took a feed from Jeff Petry, blew by Jesse Puljujarvi and entered the Oilers zone with ease. From there he didn’t hold up and try to find a seam, Kotkaniemi pulled the puck back as he drifted across the slot, drawing an Oilers defender out of position. Once he read that he fed a pass to Lehkonen who easily flicked the puck over Mike Smith’s shoulder to open the scoring."
Lol. One example. 6 pts in 24 and you show one bloody good play. Lol. Show me Byrons highlights as well. Since he has more points in the last 17

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
20 years old.

Yet you seem to think 2 areas of improvement that are extremely elastic are somehow set in stone for him... & ground your criticism and frustration in that poor assessment.

That's what's laughable

Name me players that were bad skaters that became good ones. People have this idea that every single aspect of a player’s game can improve. It’s not the case. Skating is the most difficult part after decision-making. And the improvement is more about technique and not expending more energy rather than actual acceleration and top speed. They are not elastic whatsoever, to claim them as such is ridiculous.

Look at Gallagher. You don’t think he would have improved his skating by now? It’s the same as it always has been. Countless examples. Galchenyuk too. His biggest flaw, along with not moving his feet when stick handling. Hasn’t improved whatsoever. Do you think he’s unaware that it needs to improve? That he’s oblivious? Or is it more likely that he’s incapable?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Lol. One example. 6 pts in 24 and you show one bloody good play. Lol. Show me Byrons highlights as well. Since he has more points in the last 17

well, if you can read, the post i replied to asked the question as to wether the 5 points in question were JKO as "driver or passenger". I simply provide some evidence to help out a poster who clearly doesn't watch the games.

Posting a reply without reading or understanding the post you are replying to is not something i can help you with...

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
well, if you can read, the post i replied to asked the question as to wether the 5 points in question were JKO as "driver or passenger". I simply provide some evidence to help out a poster who clearly doesn't watch the games.

Posting a reply without reading or understanding the post you are replying to is not something i can help you with...
He was a driver once. Lol. You literally post the only good thing he’s done. Wow. Nice set up to leks. Oh then disappeared in Calgary and last night was on his ass more than he was upright

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Can see why Columbus wanted Suzuki in the PLD deal now.

Everybody was outraged at the price to pay for Dubois. But I, for one, didn't see the reason. It was a pretty fair price to pay, and to this day, I can't say I wouldn't have done it. Can't say I would have done it neither though.

But a 6'3, 220 pound C with elite two-way abilities could certainly help us right about now.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Name me players that were bad skaters that became good ones. People have this idea that every single aspect of a player’s game can improve. It’s not the case. Skating is the most difficult part after decision-making. And the improvement is more about technique and not expending more energy rather than actual acceleration and top speed. They are not elastic whatsoever, to claim them as such is ridiculous.

Look at Gallagher. You don’t think he would have improved his skating by now? It’s the same as it always has been. Countless examples. Galchenyuk too. His biggest flaw, along with not moving his feet when stick handling. Hasn’t improved whatsoever. Do you think he’s unaware that it needs to improve? That he’s oblivious? Or is it more likely that he’s incapable?

Figure skating coaches helping NHL players improve

In today’s NHL, skating is king. And Dawn Braid is a kingmaker. | Sportsnet

'A victim of his own talent': Golden Knights grateful for Misha Donskov's quiet but big contributions

Still underappreciated around the NHL, Mikko Rantanen has grown his game to an elite level

my favorite... "Having his skating style once described as “Bambi on ice,” Rantanen spent the last few seasons transforming himself from an awkward, lanky teenager into a dominant offensive force who is now one of the best two-way forwards in all of hockey."

look, i get it... taking the time to actually understand what you are posting about is not as fun as just spouting off groundless takes that suit a pre-conceived narrative...

but if you have no experience or understanding of athlete development, than at the bare minimum, take a minute or two to let google answer your questions before posting silly nonensense. Just makes the takes look that much more laughable,

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Nope. That's not fine. If he's the best of what we have in the young players/prospects pool and that he turns out to be a Plekanec, we're in for years of mediocrity. And I'm being generous.

But that was the deal, the expectations of Suzuki is a comparable to Plecky.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Everybody was outraged at the price to pay for Dubois. But I, for one, didn't see the reason. It was a pretty fair price to pay, and to this day, I can't say I wouldn't have done it. Can't say I would have done it neither though.

But a 6'3, 220 pound C with elite two-way abilities could certainly help us right about now.
He’s no better than suzuki. We’d still only have one centre. You wanted a one, two of pld and Suzuki. Nkt pld and kk. Would still be shit now

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He was a driver once. Lol. You literally post the only good thing he’s done. Wow. Nice set up to leks. Oh then disappeared in Calgary and last night was on his ass more than he was upright

well, actually he would have "disappeared" in ~12 of those 17 games... try to keep up will ya

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Brayden Point...which is why he fell to the 3rd round. Right after being drafted he was sent to work with Barb Underhill to improve overall skating - edgework + acceleration. Points skating from his rookie year to now has jumped leaps & bounds - Underhill reinvented his entire stride.

Having said that, can KKs skating make such a significant improvement? Not sure..

I’m more concerned about his shot (or lack thereof), starting to look to me like it’s only there for practice when he has all the time & space needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad