Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
They will not give him 20 minutes a night and live with his errors because this team is trying to get results and are not in the full rebuild phase.
I don't think anyone wants him or expects him to be playing 20 mins a game.

But his avg icetime is the same as it was his rookie year.

It's fine...Danault and Suzuki are ahead in the depth chart and there's not a huge difference.

But that pendulum eventually needs start swinging the other way. Especially in games where the guys ahead of him, aren't playing well, I don't see why Kotkaniemi wouldn't get more icetime in those circumstances.

Like is there a particular reason why Danault needed to play 21 mins last night?

Jets had 4 PPs...so it's def not Danault being used on the PK.

It wasn't for shutdown purposes since the Jets top line ran over the Habs all night.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The biggest thing Kotkaniemi needs is confidence. When he has it he can be one of the better players on the Habs. Last Saturday against Toronto he played great after his goal, same with his bubble play. But when he loses his confidence his game takes an obvious turn for the worse. Hopefully Ducharme can help him get that back.

Reactions: demetan33

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
I've watched every single game of the Rocket since the beginning of the season.

Ylonen will be the perfect winger for KK. Will provide speed on the wing for KK.

Ylonen seems ready for the NHL IMO.

He has scoring chances almost every shift... And he provides A LOT of chances for his linemates

Jonathan Drouin with more speed and a dual treat (not only assists). With Caufield to complete the scoring chances, he will get his fair share of points in the league.

Caufield - KK - Ylonen
or
Caufield - Suzuki - Ylonen

Mark my words: Ylonen and Caufield will be perfect for each other

Last edited:

Aces on the road

Oct 27, 2020

Ylonen will be the perfect winger for KK. Will provide speed on the wing for KK.

He has scoring chances almost every shift... And he provides A LOT of chances for his linemates

Jonathan Drouin with more speed and a dual treat (not only assists). With Caufield to complete the scoring chances, he will get his fair share of points in the league.

Caufield - KK - Ylonen
or

Hockey romantic, unfortunately you are wrong. NHL dream is very far from him, probably never as regular.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
We need to unleash KK and live with the faults. His underlying numbers are excellent. I think he will outperform Suzuki who looks to be struggling lately. We need a balance here, the PD line is still looking good possession wise, but 21 mins is too much for him. Some of NZ/PD TOI has to be transferred to KK. He's already the best of the 3 imo.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Hockey romantic, unfortunately you are wrong. NHL dream is very far from him, probably never as regular.

It seems he wasn't putting 100% effort in his season in the Liiga. I don't know if you watched the AHL games but he is a whole other beast here. He leads the Rocket with 6 points in 7 games right now and he sure as hell passes the eye test. He's playing better than Weal atm

This is propbably a hot stretch by him, but from looking at him, he looks like he could be a middle 6 winger

habsfan9779

Feb 27, 2021
One of the reason KK doesn't get more ice time is matchups.

He is not strong enough in the Dzone and not responsible enough defensively to play against guys like Matthews, McD, Scheiffele, etc.
Danault is our shutdown C that plays against other teams 1st lines. So, let's say Matthews plays 20mins, Danault will also get a lot of ice time in that game

Then, we have Suzuki who is already our proven 1st line center and produces at a good rate. He deserves to get the minutes of a 1st line C.

What is left for KK then? I think he can't be playing more than 13-15 mins until he proves he can hold is own against the top guns

Aces on the road

Oct 27, 2020
It seems he wasn't putting 100% effort in his season in the Liiga. I don't know if you watched the AHL games but he is a whole other beast here. He leads the Rocket with 6 points in 7 games right now and he sure as hell passes the eye test. He's playing better than Weal atm

This is propbably a hot stretch by him, but from looking at him, he looks like he could be a middle 6 winger
Never watched AHL games, seen him in Liiga and Finland junior games. His dad was better.

habsfan9779

Feb 27, 2021
I don't think anyone wants him or expects him to be playing 20 mins a game.

But his avg icetime is the same as it was his rookie year.

It's fine...Danault and Suzuki are ahead in the depth chart and there's not a huge difference.

But that pendulum eventually needs start swinging the other way. Especially in games where the guys ahead of him, aren't playing well, I don't see why Kotkaniemi wouldn't get more icetime in those circumstances.

Like is there a particular reason why Danault needed to play 21 mins last night?

Jets had 4 PPs...so it's def not Danault being used on the PK.

It wasn't for shutdown purposes since the Jets top line ran over the Habs all night.

I think the pendulum will swing when KK proves he is a better option than Danault. Right now, he only has 2 goals and 1 point more than Danault despite playing regularly on the PP. I just think he needs to prove more to get ahead of Danault on the depth chart

Reactions: ItzaGreat

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
We need to unleash KK and live with the faults. His underlying numbers are excellent. I think he will outperform Suzuki who looks to be struggling lately. We need a balance here, the PD line is still looking good possession wise, but 21 mins is too much for him. Some of NZ/PD TOI has to be transferred to KK. He's already the best of the 3 imo.

Ehh, he maybe the best of the 3. They're all pretty flawed atm. Right now Nick is lagging in terms of underlying numbers but he's likely the most offensively skilled of the 3. Jesperi's underlying numbers are better than Nick but not necessarily Phil, Phil's underlying numbers are always great but watching Phil he just doesn't look right and he has one foot out the door. The question is can Jesperi replicate those underlying numbers with true #1 C matchups? I would love to find out but most NHL coaches are going to be hesitant.

Jesperi, I don't know what the deal is there. It seems like a perfect time for him to be elevated but he's playing probably his worst hockey of the year right now. He has 1 shot in his last 4 games and given his shooting ability I'm sure that's part of what's irked both coaches. He hasn't looked right for a few games, once he gets going again I hope Ducharme properly elevates him. The gap in TOI between PD and JK got larger in game 1 of Ducharme than it was under Julien.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ehh, he maybe the best of the 3. They're all pretty flawed atm. Right now Nick is lagging in terms of underlying numbers but he's likely the most offensively skilled of the 3. Jesperi's underlying numbers are better than Nick but not necessarily Phil, Phil's underlying numbers are always great but watching Phil he just doesn't look right and he has one foot out the door. The question is can Jesperi replicate those underlying numbers with true #1 C matchups? I would love to find out but most NHL coaches are going to be hesitant.

Jesperi, I don't know what the deal is there. It seems like a perfect time for him to be elevated but he's playing probably his worst hockey of the year right now. He has 1 shot in his last 4 games and given his shooting ability I'm sure that's part of what's irked both coaches. He hasn't looked right for a few games, once he gets going again I hope Ducharme properly elevates him. The gap in TOI between PD and JK got larger in game 1 of Ducharme than it was under Julien.
You know, theres something between true #1C matchups and 4th line C matchups ? How about he gets 14 ? 15, maybe even 16 minutes ?

Reactions: Habano

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
You know, theres something between true #1C matchups and 4th line C matchups ? How about he gets 14 ? 15, maybe even 16 minutes ?

Well the last 6-7 games under Julien he was well over 14 minutes per game, close to 15. He backslid last game but it was trending up. I agree he should play more, I was talking specifically about flipping his and Danault's role. I would do it but I get that most coaches just won't so it's not happening overnight.

Honestly, given how all 3 have struggled of late I'd basically give them even up ice time and let Danault play the grunt minutes and see if anyone can separate themselves into the number 1 role.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Caufield - KK - Ylonen
or

Which means if he’s still around and re-signed to his $30m deal, we found Danault’s new wingers.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well the last 6-7 games under Julien he was well over 14 minutes per game, close to 15. He backslid last game but it was trending up. I agree he should play more, I was talking specifically about flipping his and Danault's role. I would do it but I get that most coaches just won't so it's not happening overnight.

Honestly, given how all 3 have struggled of late I'd basically give them even up ice time and let Danault play the grunt minutes and see if anyone can separate themselves into the number 1 role.
Its not about flipping both roles, its never been. Its about redefining their roles. Theres no reasons Danault should be taking offensive faceoffs, absolutely none. The guy hasn't produced anything in half a decade as the 1C of the habs, why would it change today ? Let Suzuki and Kotkaniemi take those faceoffs and let Danault take the defensive zone ones, even if he's not very good at taking them, lets be honest. There's a world where you can actually manipulate your players ice time and it doesn't have to be written in stone, you have a bench and you don't have to roll the four lines over and over, or have your first line, thats actually probably a third line, play every 3 shifts (Thats what Ducharme did last game.)

Also your statement on TOI is wrong as in the last 6 and 7 games he's posted a 14:20 average in TOI. Thats ugly minutes.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Don’t know if anyone caught this but the Athletic put it out yesterday

Basu and Godin: Canadiens mismanaging expectations, Alex Burrows arrives, KK gets mad

Perhaps Kotkaniemi found that chip on his shoulder again.

Finnish hockey Twitter was abuzz Sunday when television cameras caught a shot of Kotkaniemi’s stick while he was sitting on the bench. More specifically, the cameras caught the knob of his stick, where there was a message written in black marker on Kotkaniemi’s tape.

As it turns out, “Suutu jo! Vitu kusipää” roughly translated to English means “Get mad already, you f***ing asshole.”

When asked via text message to clarify why he would have this written on his stick, Kotkaniemi preferred not to comment. He simply replied with a YouTube link and wrote, “That should tell you everything.”

Indeed, it does.

That is Icelandic strongman Hafthor Björnsson — perhaps better known as the man who played Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane for five seasons on “Game of Thrones” — setting the world deadlift record of 501 kilograms at his gym in Iceland. Off camera, we hear someone yelling at Björnsson in Finnish, “Noni kusipää, suutu jo!” — which means roughly the same thing as what’s written on Kotkaniemi’s stick, “Let’s go f***er, get mad already!”

KK’s showing a lot more f***ing passion than guys like Danault who complain.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Its not about flipping both roles, its never been. Its about redefining their roles. Theres no reasons Danault should be taking offensive faceoffs, absolutely none. The guy hasn't produced anything in half a decade as the 1C of the habs, why would it change today ? Let Suzuki and Kotkaniemi take those faceoffs and let Danault take the defensive zone ones, even if he's not very good at taking them, lets be honest. There's a world where you can actually manipulate your players ice time and it doesn't have to be written in stone, you have a bench and you don't have to roll the four lines over and over, or have your first line, thats actually probably a third line, play every 3 shifts (Thats what Ducharme did last game.)

Also your statement on TOI is wrong as in the last 6 and 7 games he's posted a 14:20 average in TOI. Thats ugly minutes.

First part I agree, that's what I said.

Second part, his last 6 games under Julien was 14:45/game with 3 of the 6 being over 15 minutes. You said play him 14-15 even 16 minutes, all I was saying is he was trending in that direction before the coaching switch and he backslid. Hopefully it was just 1 game from Ducharme and it gets better.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think the pendulum will swing when KK proves he is a better option than Danault. Right now, he only has 2 goals and 1 point more than Danault despite playing regularly on the PP. I just think he needs to prove more to get ahead of Danault on the depth chart
You think Danault has been better then Kotkaniemi this year?

He hasn't scored a goal, the line he centers had been dismantled cause it was so bad and he hasn't been as solid defensively.

So basically...for Kotkaniemi to get more of an opportunity, he has to be a PPG player, averaging 13 mins a game?

Seems about right with how the Habs have operated the last 25yrs.

Young players have to be perfect

Veterans can shit the bed every night and it's ok.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Don’t know if anyone caught this but the Athletic put it out yesterday

Basu and Godin: Canadiens mismanaging expectations, Alex Burrows arrives, KK gets mad

Perhaps Kotkaniemi found that chip on his shoulder again.

Finnish hockey Twitter was abuzz Sunday when television cameras caught a shot of Kotkaniemi’s stick while he was sitting on the bench. More specifically, the cameras caught the knob of his stick, where there was a message written in black marker on Kotkaniemi’s tape.

As it turns out, “Suutu jo! Vitu kusipää” roughly translated to English means “Get mad already, you f***ing asshole.”

When asked via text message to clarify why he would have this written on his stick, Kotkaniemi preferred not to comment. He simply replied with a YouTube link and wrote, “That should tell you everything.”

Indeed, it does.

That is Icelandic strongman Hafthor Björnsson — perhaps better known as the man who played Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane for five seasons on “Game of Thrones” — setting the world deadlift record of 501 kilograms at his gym in Iceland. Off camera, we hear someone yelling at Björnsson in Finnish, “Noni kusipää, suutu jo!” — which means roughly the same thing as what’s written on Kotkaniemi’s stick, “Let’s go f***er, get mad already!”

KK’s showing a lot more f***ing passion than guys like Danault who complain.

KKs a strongman fan? f*** he really is my son.

Reactions: Saxon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad