Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Dom making me look like a fool pretty quickly.

Sticking with Danualt and Webrot...
We should probably give him a week as head coach before being upset. Maybe he wants to give the vets a couple games before doing his thing...at least I hope.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
We should probably give him a week as head coach before being upset. Maybe he wants to give the vets a couple games before doing his thing...at least I hope.

It's not like he wasn't on the bench watching this all unfold prior to getting the head gig, the fact that he gave Danault his season high in ice isn't inspiring lol.

I think people underrate how almost all hockey coaches are like this, it was the same thing with Therrien/Galchenyuk. Everyone thought Claude f***ing Julien would come in and save the day and obviously Galchenyuk was beyond repair but if anyone was going to fix the situation it wasn't likely Claude.

To fans, tie goes to the young player since he could use the minutes to grow and get better, to coaches (it seems) tie goes to the veteran. I don't think any of our Cs have been good enough to differentiate themselves this year, especially lately so you'd figure the ice time would be pretty even until that happens but Danault played 22 mins last game and Jesperi 13.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
To fans, tie goes to the young player since he could use the minutes to grow and get better, to coaches (it seems) tie goes to the veteran. I don't think any of our Cs have been good enough to differentiate themselves this year, especially lately so you'd figure the ice time would be pretty even until that happens but Danault played 22 mins last game and Jesperi 13.

It's because the coaches right now want to win. Bergy is going all in on a run with Price and Weber. For Julien and Ducharme, it's probably not worth balancing the ice time and potentially dropping points during the season while guys like KK make mistakes and learn.

If you're going to cut Danault's ice time, you're going to be playing one of Suzuki, Evans and KK against the top lines of other teams occasionally, and if that translates to GA and losses, it could result in missed playoffs and, most likely, Ducharme's job.

The young guys are going to get the short end of the stick in this org until they blow the whole thing up and accept losing. It was never Julien's or Ducharme's fault, they're just trying to fulfill impossible expectations in a crappy situation and keep their job.

Reactions: Walrus26 and cphabs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's because the coaches right now want to win. Bergy is going all in on a run with Price and Weber. For Julien and Ducharme, it's probably not worth balancing the ice time and potentially dropping points during the season while guys like KK make mistakes and learn.

If you're going to cut Danault's ice time, you're going to be playing one of Suzuki, Evans and KK against the top lines of other teams occasionally, and if that translates to GA and losses, it could result in missed playoffs and, most likely, Ducharme's job.

The young guys are going to get the short end of the stick in this org until they blow the whole thing up and accept losing. It was never Julien's or Ducharme's fault, they're just trying to fulfill impossible expectations in a crappy situation and keep their job.
Been hearing this shit for twenty yeafs now and Ive still yet to see a winning team. Funny how that works.

Reactions: Habs178

habsfan9779

Feb 27, 2021
You think Danault has been better then Kotkaniemi this year?

He hasn't scored a goal, the line he centers had been dismantled cause it was so bad and he hasn't been as solid defensively.

So basically...for Kotkaniemi to get more of an opportunity, he has to be a PPG player, averaging 13 mins a game?

Seems about right with how the Habs have operated the last 25yrs.

Young players have to be perfect

Veterans can shit the bed every night and it's ok.[/QUOTE

Danault can be a lot better I agree. I just think for the moment KK hasn't proved he can take the tough matchups like Danault or Suzuki. Once he proves he can hold is own against top guys, the pendulum will swing and we will see him in the top six.

KK is not ready to play on a nightly basis against Matthews, Marner, McD, Drai...

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He must still do some things right since he was #5 in selke voting last year
He does, like play for the Habs and have a QC name while having very limited offensive output but still playing on the first line.

Plekanec is twenty times the defensive player Danault is and never even got in the top 6, I wonder why.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
You think Danault has been better then Kotkaniemi this year?

He hasn't scored a goal, the line he centers had been dismantled cause it was so bad and he hasn't been as solid defensively.

So basically...for Kotkaniemi to get more of an opportunity, he has to be a PPG player, averaging 13 mins a game?

Seems about right with how the Habs have operated the last 25yrs.

Young players have to be perfect

Veterans can shit the bed every night and it's ok.

KK has been inconsistent, which is expected from young players but when that kid is on, he is and had been way more dominant than Danault.

Sure, string more good games together, but anyone who doesn’t recognize KK is actually a better player than Danault, well, dunno what to tell them.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

My thoughts exactly

Also, Dano's and Chiarot's TOI might also indicate they're being showcased.

If MB canned his coach, there's probably other moves incoming.

Jul 6, 2016
Koko needs more icetime,, hopfully DD can see that.

KK needs to learn how to skate and stay on his feet. He needs to learn how to shoot faster... He needs lo learn how to win faceoffs. He needs a lot of training to get more ice time....

Jul 6, 2016
KK has been inconsistent, which is expected from young players but when that kid is on, he is and had been way more dominant than Danault.

Sure, string more good games together, but anyone who doesn’t recognize KK is actually a better player than Danault, well, dunno what to tell them.

Right now.... he is not.

I was hoping he would be better this season after what he showed in the last (July) Playoffs.... But it seems he needs more seasoning.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Let's get real, I want JK to step up and take the bull by it's horn. He has the skills, size, hockey IQ....just grow. As for Danault, I have less of a problem if he played more like last year and this could help the team but he plays like a player sobbing.
He's been soft and terrible since the PO.
Back to JK, my hopes is that he gets stronger and plays with an edge while bringing in a offensive flair and touch.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
It's not like he wasn't on the bench watching this all unfold prior to getting the head gig, the fact that he gave Danault his season high in ice isn't inspiring lol.

I think people underrate how almost all hockey coaches are like this, it was the same thing with Therrien/Galchenyuk. Everyone thought Claude f***ing Julien would come in and save the day and obviously Galchenyuk was beyond repair but if anyone was going to fix the situation it wasn't likely Claude.

I wasn't happy with evans seeing the pine either, unless we had been using a prospect in that spot "for a looksie"

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
KK needs to learn how to skate and stay on his feet. He needs to learn how to shoot faster... He needs lo learn how to win faceoffs. He needs a lot of training to get more ice time....
Hes been much improved on FOs though, some nights hes come out at 80%. Its always "he needs to be better" but never Im willing to give him a chance.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
My thoughts exactly

Also, Dano's and Chiarot's TOI might also indicate they're being showcased.

If MB canned his coach, there's probably other moves incoming.
The best solution to showcase those 2 players would be for them to play less.
When you play 22min of hockey and produces absolutely nothing offensively says it all.
Also who was hot in the last 2 years? Tatar and Gallagher. Who is putrid since covid bubbles , Tatar and Gallagher and who stopped being relevant since ? Danault.
What a crazy coincidence.

Reactions: Habs178 and Mrb1p

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Skating? Sure. Needs work.

faceoffs? Doing well for a young player.

shooting? Good release. Needs to make quicker decisions, generally speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->