Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
He was actually better last year when expectations were low. He was fun to watch Saturday but difficult to watch on Sunday. His fancy "how did he do that?" plays from last year have somewhat disappeared, or at least they're there one game and the puck's a hand grenade for him the next. It has to be a confidence issue.

Reactions: DangerDave

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
A very real risk that he doesnt score 2 goals per game :sarcasm:, but seriously im very confident that his scoring translates well to the nhl his release is phenomenal
He has an awesome shot no doubt. Hes not the guy to drive the offense though. He'll need to be insulated with guys who can retrieve the puck and make room for him. Maybe Poehling and Armia would make for good linemates.

Sorry, in completely detailing this thread now. KK needs PP time and theirs no issue with his usage imo

Reactions: habsfan891

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
He was actually better last year when expectations were low. He was fun to watch Saturday but difficult to watch on Sunday. His fancy "how did he do that?" plays from last year have somewhat disappeared, or at least they're there one game and the puck's a hand grenade for him the next. It has to be a confidence issue.
Nope, its only a matter of reaching his physical maturity, he still has games where he looks too weak trying to play a strong 200 ft. game, what is energetically very demanding for a kid who just started to fill his frame... Once KK reaches his full physical maturity, you will see him do some Barkov like moves and plays while being solid on 200 ft., its only a matter of growing and he is on the right track, Julien handles his ice time and bring him alomg nicely, consistency will come on time...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm not convinced. Rooting for him but I think theirs a very real risk or he wouldn't have slid to 15

Not convinced because you haven't watched him and you don't know much about him, your posts in this thread indicate that.

I have flashbacks of Galchenyuk. Loads of talent, but yet another coach/management that will play so many head games with him, he's probably going to fail.

Same old same old. Soon enough there's gonna be the "He was never good" comments.

Idk about that. You don't need to be big but you do need balance. Their are some things that are just easier when you're a big dude like battling in the corners and protecting the puck. Have Caufield and Armia retrieve the puck in the corner and Armia will win that 99 times out of 100

Who gives a flying f*** about retrieving a puck when you can score 50 goals and be one of the best passers this team has had in years ?

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Not convinced because you haven't watched him and you don't know much about him, your posts in this thread indicate that.

Same old same old. Soon enough there's gonna be the "He was never good" comments.

Who gives a flying **** about retrieving a puck when you can score 50 goals and be one of the best passers this team has had in years ?
Do you watch him? Genuinely curious because he's not at all known for his playmaking. And come on dude, you absolutely need guys that can retrieve the puck. You know that. This is almost as bad as the hype RP was getting after a single game

Reactions: HallOfGreatness4

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Do you watch him? Genuinely curious because he's not at all known for his playmaking. And come on dude, you absolutely need guys that can retrieve the puck. You know that. This is almost as bad as the hype RP was getting after a single game
Obviously Ive watched him. He's not known for his playmaking skills because his goal scoring is second to none in the last decade. His playmaking is as good as any passer on this team, though.

Yeah, and you know what you need to actually win games? To score goals. It's not Joel Armia who's gonna do that shit.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Obviously Ive watched him. He's not known for his playmaking skills because his goal scoring is second to none in the last decade. His playmaking is as good as any passer on this team, though.

Yeah, and you know what you need to actually win games? To score goals. It's not Joel Armia who's gonna do that ****.
So basically you're just making an assumption because at no point has he ever proven he's got the talent to be an elite playmaker at the NHL level.

And have fun getting hemmed in your zone all game.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So basically you're just making an assumption because at no point has he ever proven he's got the talent to be an elite playmaker at the NHL level.

And have fun getting hemmed in your zone all game.
Yeah, Ovi gets hemmed in his zone a lot, right ?

Im not making an assumption, Ive seen him play, evaluated his abilities, and Im telling you you are out of line with the opinion that he doesn't drive the play or he's just there to score goals.

Reactions: Justin11

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Lol ovi is the worst possible example you could have used. Ovi plays a 200 foot game. He's big, physical and is a beast in the corners. He also plays with a big dude who wins battles and plays excellent D as well as basically a Gallagher.

And to be clear, I know he has some ability playmaking as well as good hands and edges. It doesn't change the fact that he won't win puck battles and be shaky on the breakouts and in his end

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
KK has excellent vision , passing skill and can put the puck in the net when given the opportunity. He's not being destroyed in terms of development but one can argue that perhaps he should be playing more while living with his mistakes/growing pains , rather than trying to learn to be offensively capable with lesser wingers and less opportunity to find consistent offensive game. He's still way too young to be worried , he literally just turned 19 , if we see more of this pattern where his ice-time doesn't reach the 17+ minutes threshold (which I would expect from a 3rd overall pick and a mark already reached by the other members of the top 4 from 2018) , I'd start getting legitimately concerned. He's still maturing physically over the next couple of seasons he will keep filling out and then he will discover how to use that size to his advantage.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
KK has excellent vision , passing skill and can put the puck in the net when given the opportunity. He's not being destroyed in terms of development but one can argue that perhaps he should be playing more while living with his mistakes/growing pains , rather than trying to learn to be offensively capable with lesser wingers and less opportunity to find consistent offensive game. He's still way too young to be worried , he literally just turned 19 , if we see more of this pattern where his ice-time doesn't reach the 17+ minutes threshold (which I would expect from a 3rd overall pick and a mark already reached by the other members of the top 4 from 2018) , I'd start getting legitimately concerned. He's still maturing physically over the next couple of seasons he will keep filling out and then he will discover how to use that size to his advantage.

KK has 2 problems

1. Clod
2. His linemates (see #1)

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Don't think his linemates are a problem at all, as long as he stays with Drouin, Im fine with it. He needs more ice-time is the though.

I just don't know how you can watch him and think he needs more overall ice-time. His first step and balance are very much still a work in progress, and the last thing he needs is to sink further into mud as the game goes on. He's getting regular PP time now over the last 3 games. It's all good for KK. The idea that Julien doesn't like this kid's game is just asinine to me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I just don't know how you can watch him and think he needs more overall ice-time. His first step and balance are very much still a work in progress, and the last thing he needs is to sink further into mud as the game goes on. He's getting regular PP time now over the last 3 games. It's all good for KK. The idea that Julien doesn't like this kid's game is just asinine to me.
Growing pains are to be expected with a young player. If you don't want to deal with them, leave the kid in a lower level to develop while playing huge minutes.

The Habs decided it was a good PR move to have him on the team last year and now they have to develop him by playing him more than 12 minutes a night. He may fall and his first step may be bad, but its not by sitting on the bench that its going to get better.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Im not even asking for 17 minutes, to be fair. Just like 14-15 would be fine. None of that 12 minutes crap.

And more importantly, when he dominates like he did against the Blues, give him leash, give him ice-time, make him confident in his ability.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

You can't know that , perhaps the prudent approach is wise for KK but maybe by not giving him more opportunity to build his offensive confidence/prowess he will never reach his true offensive potential. In a few years he may produce 60-70 points with the current developmental track and then you'd be confident in saying "see this was the right approach" but perhaps he'd be a ppg+ player with the added confidence and ice-time. Playing safe has it's own inherent risks that I think way too many ignore. Pacioretty said it himself , if you're not going to play me , send me back to the AHL. He was one of the best prospects we've produced in decades and it seems to ring true with KK today.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Don't think his linemates are a problem at all, as long as he stays with Drouin, Im fine with it. He needs more ice-time is the though.

When Drouin's on fire, sure... no issues. WHen Drouin goes... Drouin then that's a problem for any center. Not just KK.

HallOfGreatness4

Best NHL gambler around
Dec 29, 2010
itshockeynight.com
Honestly its gonna happen. Hes such an antiquated coach.

At the draft table this year he looked displeased with the Caufield pick, Bergy tells him "C'tun goalscorer" and he doesnt look convinced at all. Then Timmins barges in and tells Clod "Dont worry, we'll get you some beef later Claude"

Disgusting.

wait.

you really think they would deal KK?

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I'm not convinced. Rooting for him but I think theirs a very real risk or he wouldn't have slid to 15
DeBrincat fell to 39th just 3 drafts ago, and in a redraft today he could go as high as 6th or 5th (Matthews, Tkachuk, McAvoy, Laine ahead of him IMO and possibly Dubois). He fell despite ridiculous OHL scoring numbers because there were concerns about his 5'7" frame paired with mediocre to average skating, and that he played on a stacked team with a 1st and 3rd overall pick at center. Sound familiar?

Reactions: Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad