Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part 11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
But Petry is not only a more productive defenseman, he's a better defenseman than he was 3-4 seasons ago. Or do you disagree with that?
He's been similar for 10 years. Better defensively now for sure. Looks great at times, looks bad at times, never truly consistent and why he's never been a true #1 D man

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Speaking of Petry, he was essentially a 5-7 Goal, 15-25 point defender for the first seven years of being a pro. His minutes from the day he entered the league have averaged around 20-22.

How does one explain the sudden rise in production and for lack of a better word, improvement in his game that occurred right around his 30th birthday?
Well apparently, it can't be development.

Players only develop in the AHL apparently.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
But Petry is not only a more productive defenseman, he's a better defenseman than he was 3-4 seasons ago. Or do you disagree with that?

Offensively? Maybe a bit. But I've been a Petry booster for years. So I wouldn't say he's that much of a better defenseman than he was 3-4 years ago. A bit better, but I think that its more that he's being recognized as a high end defender more by fans.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Jul 6, 2016
Six games into a new season and the panic mode is totally pushed on this board... Come on. Dallas and NJ which wre jusged on thais board better , way better than the habs are craling in the basement. St Louis was dead last at Christmas last year.... Habs were shining at the beginning of last season and fell short.

KK will be more productive soon. And Suzuki should be sent down to Laval.

My Lines

Domi-Danault-Gally
Drouin-KK- Armia
Tatar- Weal- Lekkonen or Byron
Cousins-Thompson- Lehkonen or Byron.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Offensively? Maybe a bit. But I've been a Petry booster for years. So I wouldn't say he's that much of a better defenseman than he was 3-4 years ago. A bit better, but I think that its more that he's being recognized as a high end defender more by fans.

I think his decision making has improved through experience and his physical skills have yet to diminish.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Six games into a new season and the panic mode is totally pushed on this board... Come on. Dallas and NJ which wre jusged on thais board better , way better than the habs are craling in the basement. St Louis was dead last at Christmas last year.... Habs were shining at the beginning of last season and fell short.

KK will be more productive soon. And Suzuki should be sent down to Laval.

My Lines

Domi-Danault-Gally
Drouin-KK- Armia
Tatar- Weal- Lekkonen or Byron
Cousins-Thompson- Lehkonen or Byron.
Panic for what exactly? Look at the lineup in your post... really think people are expecting playoffs or a deep run?

Expectations among the fanbase couldn't be any lower these days so I don't get how anyone would be panicking. More like business as usual.

Reactions: habsfan891

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
So true the last 2 games have been nothing but blaming players.
the GM said it, Habs are about youth and speed (or should at least)
the Owner said it too : in -> 3 years

so why the f*** is this bozo panicking because Habs are not winning NOW ?? and why the f*** this bozo aint trying to develop the kids so they're ready in 3+ years ??

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
the GM said it, Habs are about youth and speed (or should at least)
the Owner said it too : in -> 3 years

so why the **** is this bozo panicking because Habs are not winning NOW ?? and why the **** this bozo aint trying to develop the kids so they're ready in 3+ years ??
Great question there's obviously quite a large disconnect somewhere in our management.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Comes down to risk management towards the positive development curve you want them on. Good development is letting them work on the parts of their game that got them to this point and to teach them how to adjust to the pro game.

Leafs were quick to send Sandin down. That was a smart move IMO.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

So basically, players like Kotkaniemi and Eller can still develop into a top 6 Cs. Just need a sprinkle of patience and luck.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Comes down to risk management towards the positive development curve you want them on. Good development is letting them work on the parts of their game that got them to this point and to teach them how to adjust to the pro game.

Leafs were quick to send Sandin down. That was a smart move IMO.
Overcoming adversity is a part of development

We can't always default to demotions the second a player struggles.

As for Sandin....what's good for him is good for him, can't apply it like a blanket to all players.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Overcoming adversity is a part of development

We can't always default to demotions the second a player struggles.

There is no right answer. All I am talking about is the conservative approach towards the positive development progression. I think it has less development risks and allows the kid to gain momentum from where they were before they turned pro.

It's possible he can overcome it in the NHL. But I think it comes with risks in the confidence of their game.

Reactions: 417

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
That's quite the leap.
Well Eller's on pace for 50 points and seems to be getting better as he gets older. Was a fairly high pick and prior to making the NHL at 21, was producing good offensive numbers. Seems to fall well in line with the Petry's "developed in NHL" thought process that's being applied to Kotkaniemi.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And sometimes development happens organically with really no external forces - players mature/come into their own at different times
Absolutely, and other times the player busts or other time the player develops with the help of coaching.

Petry is a great example of playing minutes being actually great for development ... he never played under 20 minutes in his career.

Reactions: sandviper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad