Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I don't see anyone hating on KK. It's true, when he was on the ice, he was the best forward on the ice. An inspiring performance for sure. That said, Blueger, Tanev and Aston Reece are not first ballot Hall of Fame players and you can't expect a first year rookie to put up big numbers against 2 of the best to ever play.

You can like both Suzuki and KK but it is pretty clear which one is the more complete player today. Will it stay that way? I have no clue. Reverse the roles and we get crushed though. Philly is much more balanced and we should see vastly different results.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Really? That seems weird, because Timmins would have been responsible for pushing Bergevin to acquire Suzuki.

Sadly this logic does not work with simple minds. Read the Timmins thread.

I don't see anyone hating on KK. It's true, when he was on the ice, he was the best forward on the ice. An inspiring performance for sure. That said, Blueger, Tanev and Aston Reece are not first ballot Hall of Fame players and you can't expect a first year rookie to put up big numbers against 2 of the best to ever play.

You can like both Suzuki and KK but it is pretty clear which one is the more complete player today. Will it stay that way? I have no clue. Reverse the roles and we get crushed though. Philly is much more balanced and we should see vastly different results.

You cant just extrapolate that KK would've gotten wrecked without "sheltering." He had shifts against the top two lines, hockey is a fluid sport its impossible to completely be sheletered and the fact is, he did not allow a goal and allowed the least high danger chances of all.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Sadly this logic does not work with simple minds. Read the Timmins thread.

You cant just extrapolate that KK would've gotten wrecked without "sheltering." He had shifts against the top two lines, hockey is a fluid sport its impossible to completely be sheletered and the fact is, he did not allow a goal and allowed the least high danger chances of all.

There's no certainty in life

But I think it's likely that Kotkaniemi would have been less effective had he played a larger fraction of his minutes against Crosby.

Regardless, Price is the MVP of that series by an overwhelming margin.

Reactions: philipsson

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There's no certainty in life

But I think it's likely that Kotkaniemi would have been less effective had he played a larger fraction of his minutes against Crosby.

Regardless, Price is the MVP of that series by an overwhelming margin.
Both statements are obvious.

Somehow it doesnt equate to "Wed get crushed if we reversed the roles."

It probably just means that KK goes from the elite output hes put out to more normal output, like say... Suzukis...

Lets also not discount the fact that Gally/Tatar @ -100% are still far superior to Drouin/Armia.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Both statements are obvious.

Somehow it doesnt equate to "Wed get crushed if we reversed the roles."

It probably just means that KK goes from the elite output hes put out to more normal output, like say... Suzukis...

Lets also not discount the fact that Gally/Tatar @ -100% are still far superior to Drouin/Armia.
Gally was the worst player on the ice for both teams. Even worst than Drouin. Guy needs to rest up cause his leg is clearly f***ed.

Our only good wingers that series were Lehky and Byron tbh. The rest need to wake up or we're done.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Gally was the worst player on the ice for both teams. Even worst than Drouin. Guy needs to rest up cause his leg is clearly f***ed.

Our only good wingers that series were Lehky and Byron tbh. The rest need to wake up or we're done.

Even on one leg Gallagher is more useful than Drouin and Armia. Its not cause he disappointed offensively and he wasnt his elite self, that he cant help drive play or keep possession

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

What? I have no idea what you were watching, but Gallagher was still effective. He led the forwards in ixGF. He's clearly playing hurt and isn't 100%, but it is ridiculous hyperbole to say he was the worst player on the ice for both teams.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
What? I have no idea what you were watching, but Gallagher was still effective. He led the forwards in ixGF. He's clearly playing hurt and isn't 100%, but it is ridiculous hyperbole to say he was the worst player on the ice for both teams.
The amount of plays that died on his stick when he was entering the zone is mind boggling. Quite literally a black hole offensively. He was slightly better in game 4.

I was zoning in on him because my friend who hates him kept texting me saying he's Terri. He was in fact junk this series and I'm certainly not one of his detractors. I'm not the only person on here who noticed it either. Just look at the Gally thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldCraig71

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
The amount of plays that died on his stick when he was entering the zone is mind boggling. Quite literally a black hole offensively. He was slightly better in game 4.

I was zoning in on him because my friend who hates him kept texting me saying he's Terri. He was in fact junk this series and I'm certainly not one of his detractors. I'm not the only person on here who noticed it either. Just look at the Gally thread.

I'm not arguing that he didn't look himself, I'm saying its insane to argue he was the worst player on the ice. Ignoring the fact that he was still pretty damn effective, you're saying he was worse than:

Johnson
Schultz
Everyone in Pittsburgh's bottom 6
Montreal's 4th line
Mete
Ouellet

I'm sorry, but if that's a real argument, I don't believe you actually watched any of the games.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Danault-Conférencedepresse(20/08/10):Kotkaniemi
«J'ai aimé comment Kotkaniemi est arrivé ici: confiant, en bataillant plus fort. Il a compris beaucoup de choses dans la AHL la saison dernière. Et il est confiant maintenant.»

Reactions: Gravity and Redux91

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'm not arguing that he didn't look himself, I'm saying its insane to argue he was the worst player on the ice. Ignoring the fact that he was still pretty damn effective, you're saying he was worse than:

Johnson
Schultz
Montreal's 4th line
Mete
Ouellet

I'm sorry, but if that's a real argument, I don't believe you actually watched any of the games.
Maybe better than Weal and Schultz. Not saying much. He was junk. Only drank game 1 too. He's the main reason our PP can't establish themselves and I'm sorry but who the f*** takes a clapper on a breakaway? I recommend you watch the games again and you'll realize he was the one killing the offense on the first line. Not Tatar. Not Suzuki. Not Danault

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Maybe better than Weal and Schultz. Not saying much. He was junk. Only drank game 1 too. He's the main reason our PP can't establish themselves and I'm sorry but who the f*** takes a clapper on a breakaway? I recommend you watch the games again and you'll realize he was the one killing the offense on the first line. Not Tatar. Not Suzuki. Not Danault

Dude, you're out to lunch:laugh:

Reactions: Habby4Life

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Dumont-Instagramlive(canadiensmtl)-20/08/10:Kotkaniemi
«Je dirais à part toutes les statistiques, il était dominant dans cette série là. Mais le fait qu'il était agressif, il gagnait toutes ses batailles en 1 contre 1. Et il a frappé plus que n'importe quels autres joueurs du Canadien dans cette série là. Moi j'adore le côté agressif de Kotkaniemi. Il sourit un peu moins. Mais il domine un peu plus.»

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don’t think he is better than Danault anywhere on the ice and he doesn’t think the game anywhere near Danault’s level. In order to make up for difference I think he needs some some A plus tools and I don’t think he has any.

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010
I think KK's increase in strength and physical play will go a long way against Philly. I think that he and Armia may be the guys to win this series for us by giving us some pushback physically.

The fact that he improved this much in areas like strength during the 4 months off is really encouraging. He has a strong work ethic and has been developing in huge spurts with some setbacks. I can't wait to see the finished result after he works on his skating and keeps getting stronger.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I saw exactly the same thing from Gallagher, trying to force a shot from everwhere while there were better pass options available, it became very predictable actually. His compete level is off the charts but his skill level leaves something to be desired.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Do you guys think he'll keep the same wingers as in game 4 for game 1 against Philly?

Would love to see the PP play through him so we can see that fabled hyper shot in action. Problem is, he also was the best player in front of the net

KK's physicality was one of the reasons Johnson looked so brutal, guy has a mean streak. In game 4 he recognized they weren't getting anywhere offensively so he layed some massive hits. The Pens were scared in the end. Someone mentionned Getzlaf earlier, I see a little of him

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Unfortunately I’ve seen enough of KK to know he won’t be a Barkov type but could be a good two way center like Sean Couturier.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Unfortunately I’ve seen enough of KK to know he won’t be a Barkov type but could be a good two way center like Sean Couturier.
Barkov is overrated and boring imho you couldn't be more wrong and right at the same time, Barkov is the second coming of Kopitar, he's a very good 2 way forward yes but a boring one, he might pot a highlight goal here and there but it ain't often, and he makes up for it in shootouts, KK on the other hand is also a 2 way center but has also only just turned 20 and has improved amazingly well in so many areas even with going through like 4 injuries in a one year span, so who are you to say what he will and wont be?

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Barkov is overrated and boring imho you couldn't be more wrong and right at the same time, Barkov is the second coming of Kopitar, he's a very good 2 way forward yes but a boring one, he might pot a highlight goal here and there but it ain't often, and he makes up for it in shootouts, KK on the other hand is also a 2 way center but has also only just turned 20 and has improved amazingly well in so many areas even with going through like 4 injuries in a one year span, so who are you to say what he will and wont be?

We don’t have the same definition of boring.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Johnson
Schultz
Montreal's 4th line
Mete
Ouellet

Mete was playing on his offside (right side) because Clode put Ouellet on his side. You do realize he's rarely played on the right? And despite the one bad goal which was on him, he played well overall, having to carry Ouellet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad