Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
That Kotkaniemi kid...He's alright.

OfQXYpB_DYhfEqTDLmzZg-q9dSwfRH3rYVIRMq3YpL9ieaCbLszB4BIkg5QUXp0CKLLhpcIEityw8deqYmvYQ-nY2TGVuS1kw-8-2ME2e66haJSGGYntudESsCo1GeAdqFT1Tg

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
If you're new to the KK bandwagon, welcome to the basket of deplorables. Try the hot pockets. Perhaps now you'll believe me when I say he's just getting started.

You see a lot of the things he's being praised for now in this highlight video. He's always loved to get to the paint. You also see a lot of things yet to come.

Imagine being a fan of an organization that has been unable to acquire a 1st line center for decades, and passing up the opportunity to draft this kid because of his dumpster-fire skating.

I'm a KK fan but that Quinton Hughes fellow sure looks like the BPA for now. Not bummed out by our pick at all, I think KK has monster potential and I love his attitude. But I read this board everyday, and most draft junkies say BPA or nothing in the first round. I think you can love the pick and still be aware that Q Hughes is a phenomenal player and kinda better (for now and, imo, for the rest of their career) than KK.

Edit : I'm open to having my mind changed though, maybe he'll do that. But for now Q Hughes is the most valuable hockey player in the playoffs, an almost generational skater and the skill and IQ that rivals his brother's.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm a KK fan but that Quinton Hughes fellow sure looks like the BPA for now. Not bummed out by our pick at all, I think KK has monster potential and I love his attitude. But I read this board everyday, and most draft junkies say BPA or nothing in the first round. I think you can love the pick and still be aware that Q Hughes is a phenomenal player and kinda better (for now and, imo, for the rest of their career) than KK.

Quinn Hughes is ahead now, and could very well end up being the hindsight BPA. But if KK reaches what I think he will be, I will find it very difficult to care.

I'm not one of those BPA or bust people, incidentally. The positions have value and center is king. A lot of draft junkies don't want to admit it.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki

Edit : I'm open to having my mind changed though, maybe he'll do that. But for now Q Hughes is the most valuable hockey player in the playoffs, an almost generational skater and the skill and IQ that rivals his brother's.
Yeah yeah, here we go again.

Reactions: dralaf

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Quinn Hughes is ahead now, and could very well end up being the hindsight BPA. But if KK reaches what I think he will be, I will find it very difficult to care.

I'm not one of those BPA or bust people, incidentally. The positions have value and center is king. A lot of draft junkies don't want to admit it.
I believe the same. even if one is a tad better, if KK is a ppg center with a mean streak I'll be too busy creaming my finnish-flag themed undies.

But damn Hughes is gooooooooood. He's like Scott Niedermayer out there.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I believe the same. even if one is a tad better, if KK is a ppg center with a mean streak I'll be too busy creaming my finnish-flag themed undies.

But damn Hughes is gooooooooood. He's like Scott Niedermayer out there.

A big mean ice-tilting 200ft PPG centerman. When was the last time one was traded? KK still has to get there, but I feel pretty confident that after it's all said and done, KK will have been our only chance at one. Sometimes you just gotta take the swing.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Guys... this dude is a big game superstar in the making.

I love him but I'm not quite willing to go there yet. I mean this good at 20 and looking at his development curve over the last 2 years, it's definitely not impossible.

If Hart isn't lucky in game 1 off that KK tip, he has 5 goals in 6 games. Plus that screen on Tatar's 2nd goal. He's filling so many needs for us right now it's not even funny .

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
If you're new to the KK bandwagon, welcome to the basket of deplorables. Try the hot pockets. Perhaps now you'll believe me when I say he's just getting started.

You see a lot of the things he's being praised for now in this highlight video. He's always loved to get to the paint. You also see a lot of things yet to come.

Imagine being a fan of an organization that has been unable to acquire a 1st line center for decades, and passing up the opportunity to draft this kid because of his dumpster-fire skating.

I think I only watched the U18 highlights pre-draft. Man those hands on that play around 3:20 where he falls but still dekes the guy were nuts. Some of those snipes were beauties.

His floor is just so high to me that he's a key part of this team even worst case scenario development wise imo. The ceiling looks higher and higher all the time.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
it's perfectly fine for thinking Quinn Hughes is/was the better pick. What was silly however was when some people started thinking Zadina should have been picked instead during this season. :huh:
Nothing wrong with that opinion. Zadina might be the better goal scorer. Kotkaniemi plays the more valuable position though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
A big mean ice-tilting 200ft PPG centerman. When was the last time one was traded? KK still has to get there, but I feel pretty confident that after it's all said and done, KK will have been our only chance at one. Sometimes you just gotta take the swing.

Joseph Thornton is probably the last/only one?

Ryjo had that ceiling but hes a lazy f***

Reactions: NotProkofievian

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Muller-PressConference(20/08/14):Kotkaniemi
“All the kudos to KK. No one wants to go down, but he did and he learned from it. It’s a maturity level. This is a really tough league and when you’re young you have to learn some stuff. But you know what, it made him a better player and you can see it.”
“He’s faster, he’s stronger, he’s physical. His play shows itself. He took it and learned from it and got to be a better player. And he’s been a real big impact on our hockey team since we’ve come to Toronto.”

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010

Yep no doubt Hughes is looking like an amazing player already, but it does feel kinda good to be in a position to hunt for a defenseman like that rather than a Center like KK. 6'2 centres that can do it all is like trying to find a damn Unicorn.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Domi-PressConference(20/08/14):Kotkaniemi
“He’s a tough kid. He’s shown that, he’s fought a couple of times. He’s never been scared. But you can be tough by going to the hard areas and winning puck battles and he did that a lot tonight. He’s been doing that a lot lately and he’s got some swag to his game right now.”
“He knows where to go to score and his shot is elite already. So you get him the puck in the right spot and he’s going to put it in the back of the net and he did that tonight.”
“He’s playing with a lot of confidence. I think he’s starting to realize how big of a body he's and how effective he's around the net.”

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Let's calm down.

Until they can get 70 pts in the regular season they are not 1Cs.
I think all of this is way over the top right now.

We've been so deprived for so long...

I'm liking that our size is beating the Flyers', a very good team, size.

Many thought wise could still neutralize speed in the new NHL. I never bought onto that.

We have the speed and character. It remains to be seen if we have the skill.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So on one end have the people who loves seeing how great JK is doing right now and love to wonder who that Tkachuk guy was....on the other end you have the people who wonder how ''rushing'' JK was finally that harmful seeing how he looks now.....JK is a crowd pleaser. Something for everybody.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
So I guess people learnt their lesson, be patient with kids! Making the team in his post draft season was already a great achievement for KK considering he was obviously not physically ready and one of the youngest players in that draft...

I told you guys once he would mature physically and gain strength, his skills would start to show up and thats exactly whats happening...

KK still is one of the youngest players in the league, there will still be some inconsistency in his game at times, but kid is headed in the right direction and has made huge steps foward, all credit on him!

Reactions: KappoTheGoat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad