Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - (On Loan to Liiga)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
I hope that he gains another 10-15 lbs over the next 2 years and turns into a mean sob that crushes other players and that he contributes 50-60 points a year. I want him to be the guy that is hated in Boston and Toronto and I want to see him love being that guy.

Hate this guy, who could ever hate this guy? One thing though he sure opened my eyes when he beat up Hagg. :eek2:
montreal-canadiens-center-jesperi-kotkaniemi-smiles-at-warmup-before-picture-id1192776286

Reactions: OldCraig71

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Nope. Even Weber said it himself... He will get what he puts into it. The organization's responsibility is to facilitate and that is a small fraction of what it takes for those prospect to overcome the pro challenges. The work and focus the player puts into it is the larger factor

That's just a slogan.

The fact is that Kotkaniemi's effectiveness skyrocketed in the 12 games he played in Laval, we saw that during the span of thode 12 games that he was rapidly improving as a player.

And then during the playoffs he was allowed to play better. Nate Thompson was no longer in the team and so Kotkaniemi got decent ice time and linemates.

Moving forward, it is imperative that Kotkaniemi get a linemate or even two they can shoot the puck, otherwise his vision will stagnate. We've seen that before. Players without linemates that can shoot become "puck hogs".

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's a slogan.

The fact is that Kotkaniemi's effectiveness skyrocketed in the 12 games he played in Laval, and during those 12 games he was rapidly improving as a player.

And then during the playoffs he was allowed to play better. Nate Thompson was no longer in the team and so Kotkaniemi got decent ice time and linemates.

Moving forward, it is imperative that Kotkaniemi get a linemate or even two they can shoot the puck, otherwise his vision will stagnate. We've seen that before. Played without linemates that can shoot become "puck hogs".

I agree we need to manage the winger mix around KK, Suzuki, and Danault. Habs need some shooters!

Reactions: DAChampion

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Kotka is a full year younger and a year development wise behind Suzuki. The confidence gained from these playoffs for both players was amazing. We have seen that Suzuki can b a #1C in this league. Kotka may also become that as well. His development as far as I am concerned has been on the same curve as Barkov. I hope he adds some lower body and core strength, he could be nasty out there. I am so excited to see what these two guys can do.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kotkaniemi met with media today.

Translation: When asked to explain his intense physical play during the playoffs. Kotkaniemi answered simply: It's fun. I love it!

Hmmm I hope he's careful dropping the gloves. Many good players got career ending concussions doing so.

Anyways, I like his rough side. Just hope he's good at keeping his head up, unlike Lindros and Latendresse to name a couple players.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I still think KK will top out even higher than Suzuki. He's just so young and weak right now, far from a finished product. Either great 1-2 punch in the future and I hope he continues to work this off season.

He'll only get bigger and stronger,his bones are not finished growing yet, adding a bit more quickness and overall speed would really make him lethal.

Reactions: Gravity

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

Jesperi Kotkaniemi addresses the media via conference call to look back on the 2019-20 season on Thursday (20/08/27).

“I just needed a little reset after the season and I got that with a little rest. I just had the mindset that I was going to work as hard as I could and go back when I was ready... I wanted to feel good when it was time to step on the ice again and I think I did. There's now time again to grow more and get even stronger for when I go back next year.”

“Playing a physical game is pretty much just for fun. I think that's part of the game. It keeps me awake all the time. It's fun sometimes.”

“I need to improve everything. I'm still a young guy... I just turned turned 20 and there are still many areas I need to improve in. I just want to get better in every area and be an even better player when I go back...”

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

“I just needed a little reset after the season and I got that with a little rest. I just had the mindset that I was going to work as hard as I could and go back when I was ready... I wanted to feel good when it was time to step on the ice again and I think I did. There's now time again to grow more and get even stronger for when I go back next year.

“Playing a physical game is pretty much just for fun. I think that's part of the game. It keeps me awake all the time. It's fun sometimes.”

“I need to improve everything. I'm still a young guy... I just turned turned 20 and there are still many areas I need to improve in. I just want to get better in every area and be an even better player when I go back...”

Ha, exactly what I said yesterday.

I expect him to start off strong next season. Pool pick for sure.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That while KK's playoff was promising, I'm not ready to give up on Max domi as an offensive center just yet. Danault's defence can be replaced more easily than Domi's offence.

He's almost certainly gone. I'm just hoping we get a good return.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He's almost certainly gone. I'm just hoping we get a good return.
This is risky.

Suppose Suzuki can hit 70 points within 2 years. So we'll have a 70 point center again. Well, we HAD one in 18-19 and it was not enough. We need MORE talent, not to tread water.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This is risky.

Suppose Suzuki can hit 70 points within 2 years. So we'll have a 70 point center again. Well, we HAD one in 18-19 and it was not enough. We need MORE talent, not to tread water.

Julien doesn't trust Domi defensively. It's not about the offensive side. So he will be dealt, it seems.

So I'm just hoping we get a really good winger in return. I don't think MB will rush a trade. He'll bring Domi back before getting a bad deal.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Julien doesn't trust Domi defensively. It's not about the offensive side. So he will be dealt, it seems.

So I'm just hoping we get a really good winger in return. I don't think MB will rush a trade. He'll bring Domi back before getting a bad deal.
LOL, Domi did a fine job against Crosby!

Reactions: Toene

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
LOL, Domi did a fine job against Crosby!

I'm disappointed we're trading him at the end of a year in which he played with Lehkonen and Byron and Cousins such a percentage of the time.

Would have liked to have seen what he can do with a full season playing with 2 offensive players before we trade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad