Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - (On Loan to Liiga)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
That while KK's playoff was promising, I'm not ready to give up on Max domi as an offensive center just yet. Danault's defence can be replaced more easily than Domi's offence.
The encouraging thing about Kotkaniemi was the physical play on top of the scoring, and he looked stronger on his skates as well as in absolute terms. I also liked how he scored in different ways. His first three goals were dirty, garbage type goals where it looked like he just got lucky. But then we saw the physical play and you realize he got those because he was using his body to battle in front of the net. He's not afraid to mix it up and get nasty in the dirty areas. Then he had that absolute laser goal he scored rushing into the offensive zone. He looks good. When was the last time we had a center doing these type of things? The Flyers were scared of a damn rookie lol.

Reactions: demetan33

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Belzile(HockeyLeMagazine-Podcast):Kotkaniemi
“Je n'ai pas jouer avec lui à Laval. C'est un jeune qui a vraiment beaucoup de talent et qui a déjà la grandeur. À son âge, moi j'étais au junior et je pesais à peu près 160 livres. Il va tellement être bon. Il a tellement un beau potentie . Il faut le laisser le temps de respirer. C'est sûr qu'il va avoir des petites lacunes ici et là mais pour un joueur de son âge de faire ce qu'il a fait. D'être dominant dans la ligue nationale des soirs, chapeau.”

“KK qu'on l'appelle, attendez qu'il a 22-23-24-25 ans là il va être solide. Je ne dis pas qu'il ne sera pas solide avant... On veut tout vraiment vite tout beau mais il ne faut pas oublier que c'est encore un jeune qui pourrait jouer junior.”

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
That's just a slogan.

The fact is that Kotkaniemi's effectiveness skyrocketed in the 12 games he played in Laval, we saw that during the span of thode 12 games that he was rapidly improving as a player.

And then during the playoffs he was allowed to play better. Nate Thompson was no longer in the team and so Kotkaniemi got decent ice time and linemates.

Moving forward, it is imperative that Kotkaniemi get a linemate or even two they can shoot the puck, otherwise his vision will stagnate. We've seen that before. Players without linemates that can shoot become "puck hogs".

I don't know what your obsession is with Nate Thompson, but KK wasn't replacing anyone on the 4th line in the playoffs. I think the point your making here is a stretch. KK was playing hurt most of the year, unless, of course, you think he got worse on his own as a 19 year old compared to an 18 year old, which frankly doesn't make sense. He was a step behind all year and there was a very valid reason for that. He didn't become a substantially better player in 12 AHL games, he was playing weaker competition where dealing with nagging injuries wasn't enough to hold him back like the NHL. He got his rest, put in his work and now he's back to where he was his rookie year. He's progressing fine and I think those 12 games means very little in the grand scheme of things. He put in the work, the COVID-19 break was likely a blessing for him.

I thought he shortened his stick when coming back?!

I think he did, I had been saying for over a year it would make a big difference. Just seemed to have better control in tight. Didn't bobble the puck nearly as much.

That while KK's playoff was promising, I'm not ready to give up on Max domi as an offensive center just yet. Danault's defence can be replaced more easily than Domi's offence.

Domi is a liability on the ice. He needs to go, his 70 points was an aberration. You need to project a bit here instead of watching the stats, even during his 70 point season I think it was pretty clear he had more lucky breaks than normal, and the numbers weren't sustainable. I think the Coyotes version is who Domi is. I am confident enough to say we don't really have a role for him anymore. He was never a legit center.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gael

Aug 21, 2020
I'm really hopeful for Kotkaniemi. He's got size, good vision and an elite shot. He still needs to gain some muscles and work on his stickhandling imo

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Kotka talked about how watching video with Bouchard something he wasn't able to do in the NHL, so there's no telling what impact that had on him or how much confidence he might have gained from being on the top line and PP right off the bat. Being the guy that was looked to carry the offense or set it up at least. That confidence boost from playing so well, getting the TOI vs Julien's usage maybe carried over to the off-season training he did. Either way it's nice to see prospects improve after spending time with Bouchard.

As for Leblanc if anyone says he didn't regress in his 2nd year then I would assume they did not watch him as he was the very definition of regressing. His play was night and day to what it was in his first year. McCarron 100% regressed as well. Scherbak was just flat out handled like shit and Tinordi like Beaulieu wasn't improving at all on his weaknesses, was just repeating mistakes or issues and nothing was being done to change. There were some suggestions that at least Tinordi and possibly Beaulieu were getting bad advice from their hockey dads but don't know if that was true or not. Either way I don't think they were handled very well either. But almost everything Lefebvre touched seem to turn to shit.

Wait, what?

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Can he have the potential to have the same impact of Sebastian Aho?
Imo he doesnt have as high IQ and dynamism, but has other qualities that could make him as good. His shot and his size would be among these traits. Very different players. Both have amazing sets of hands. Aho is so f***ing good, I'd stain my pants if Kotka would reach that level.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I know you like playing dumb, but I shouldn't have to repeat myself in every thread.

NO POLITICS

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
KK will never be a dynamic player....that’s not what he was drafted for anyway. I suspect he’ll be one of those under the radar solid types who at the end of the season will have people going “oh yeah another 30G 70+ point season”.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
KK will never be a dynamic player....that’s not what he was drafted for anyway. I suspect he’ll be one of those under the radar solid types who at the end of the season will have people going “oh yeah another 30G 70+ point season”.
Thats a lie. Hes the definition of dynamic, with an impact anywhere on the ice and in any situation. He was this was in Liiga, he was this way in the u18s and hes shown he can be like that in the NHL and AHL too.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Thats a lie. Hes the definition of dynamic, with an impact anywhere on the ice and in any situation. He was this was in Liiga, he was this way in the u18s and hes shown he can be like that in the NHL and AHL too.
He was never a WOW player and will never be...that doesn’t make it bad by any means. Bobby Smith has no WOW to his game and was an outstanding 1C...that’s who KKs game will look like IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad