Player Discussion Jesper Boqvist

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Totally get that but as sweeeny and company are the reason for their own cap issues, I do not accept their excuses for why they did what they did. Sweeney created this mess. Either figure out how to fix it or f*** off. Using your own f*** ups as an excuse? Hard pass.

Yeah but your initial comment isn’t talking about what they’ve done. It’s entirely about their “plan” this offseason.

Not trying to let Sweeney or anyone else off the hook or anything. But in regards to what’s going on this offseason, they’ve done what they’ve had to do given what they have to work with.

Does this still mean the roster is full of flaws? You bet. Does this still mean this situation, beyond the struggles that emerge with a flat cap, are on the FO? Yes. But I can’t see doing any better this offseason given the limited options.

Last edited:

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
. Monty's going to have his work cut out getting regular production out of this roster. He's pulled a rabbit out of his hat once already, can he do it again?
Did he though? Very flukey year last year was. Pulling out games they should have lost or getting insane goaltending to hold a lead. None of that translated to playoff play though.

So even if the same squad returned I’d have expected a less impressive regular season if only for the elimination of breaks and a normalization of goaltending. Coupled with a weaker roster…. by design…I think expectations all around have to be much lower and I think FO expectations and actions reflect their anticipation/high probability of a rough year….the accepted outcome of the climb out of cap hell.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Come in peace but if its his shot you are hoping for, dont. One of the worst shots on the team and doesnt use it enough if barely ever. When he does its weak, not much there.

Fantastic skater, good playmaking and good puck handling. Good forechecker too, speed helps. Not good enough defensively to play the PK, not a good enough faceoff guy to take them alot. I believe there is a player there somewhere, but we had no room for him.
Good to see bruins addressing speed deficiency.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
It certainly feels like a lot of dough going to depth players - all the bits and pieces and minimum contracts do add up. The Bruins currently have 4 legit top 6 forwards signed. Then they have a former top 6 player in van Riemsdyk who's probably no longer at that level but I guess one can hope, a potential top 6 prospect in Lysell who may make the big step up at some point in the season, and a lingering question mark around Bergeron. That's a pretty shallow list of top talent.

I get why things are tough, and I don't know exactly how the math would work out, but it at least feels like it would sure be nice if less depth guys were signed and some of that money instead went towards one more top 6-calibre player. There's still time, of course, but it's not looking very likely. Monty's going to have his work cut out getting regular production out of this roster. He's pulled a rabbit out of his hat once already, can he do it again?
Monty pulled the rabbit out of his hat and then beat it to death with the hat.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Yeah, fine by me. But sounds like a 4th liner at best and not really someone we should be that excited about.

Hopefully he can be much more than that, though. Would be fantastic.
Scepticism warranted. Although again I think he's on a scoring line or not playing. I think he's really ill-fit for a grinder kind of role.

I like it because to me, I'm more excited about Jesper Boqvist than I am about James Van Riemsdyk. There were a ton of these castaway young players available who had shown something that I wish we had gone that route over plugs like JVR, Brown and Shattenkirk. The Kraken had a team full of them and they were entertaining to watch and (considering roster makeup) wildly successful.

Give me potential over has-beens and never-was's. It probably won't work, but at least it gives you a shot and is interesting to watch.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
It certainly feels like a lot of dough going to depth players - all the bits and pieces and minimum contracts do add up. The Bruins currently have 4 legit top 6 forwards signed. Then they have a former top 6 player in van Riemsdyk who's probably no longer at that level but I guess one can hope, a potential top 6 prospect in Lysell who may make the big step up at some point in the season, and a lingering question mark around Bergeron. That's a pretty shallow list of top talent.

I get why things are tough, and I don't know exactly how the math would work out, but it at least feels like it would sure be nice if less depth guys were signed and some of that money instead went towards one more top 6-calibre player. There's still time, of course, but it's not looking very likely. Monty's going to have his work cut out getting regular production out of this roster.
JVR+ Geekie\Boqvist overachieving + 37\46 white knighting is about as much as your getting this year.

I can't see #37 coming back and being effective. Any injuries to even Coyle and Zacha never mind 63,74 and 88 and they are in trouble.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Did he though? Very flukey year last year was. Pulling out games they should have lost or getting insane goaltending to hold a lead. None of that translated to playoff play though.

So even if the same squad returned I’d have expected a less impressive regular season if only for the elimination of breaks and a normalization of goaltending. Coupled with a weaker roster…. by design…I think expectations all around have to be much lower and I think FO expectations and actions reflect their anticipation/high probability of a rough year….the accepted outcome of the climb out of cap hell.

However much you ascribe the Bruins' success to skill or luck on Monty's part, there's no denying that their record was wildly beyond what anyone expected. The coach gets his share of the credit for that, just as he cops blame for the subsequent failure in the playoffs. In the regular season he had the team playing above itself, and he'll need to repeat that trick to get this new group into a secure seat at the postseason table.

For sure, there's no matching last year, no matter who's on the roster, and especially with the changes we've seen then as you say expectations must be tempered. But there's no rebuild, and instead there are guys like Boqvist being thrown into the mix with the hope that enough stick to make the team consistently competitive. So for the coach the challenge is still very much there in terms of taking a compromised and in some ways quite different roster and making it effective. While the bar for Monty is lower in terms of what's expected/acceptable, it will probably still be tougher to clear than last year's, at least as far as the regular season is concerned. I think it's going to be an interesting year behind the bench.

Camille the Eel

Boqvist is an exceptional skater who can make a zone entry or zone exit by himself. He's good at carrying the puck through center ice; when there's nothing there he'll gain the zone and stop and circle back up high. A creative player who sees the ice very well. Has decent hands but has lacked confidence. It seemed like he was starting to break out in the last portion of the season. He struggled to find consistent playing time in Jersey, where he would play very well for stretches and then sit in order that they could find playing time for the likes of Miles Wood. I don't know exactly why they gave up on him, the staff never seemed to have complete confidence in him and that made it hard for him to have confidence in himself. I do think they felt he could battle more heavily along the boards. Mostly they need room to see what they have in Alex Holtz and some other youngsters. Someone needed to go and he was it. Boston is a great opportunity for him. What I'd like to convey however is that he isn't a reclamation project. He's been developing nicely.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Yeah but your initial comment isn’t talking about what they’ve done. It’s entirely about their “plan” this offseason.

Not trying to let Sweeney or anyone else off the hook or anything. But in regards to what’s going on this offseason, they’ve done what they’ve have to do given what they have to work with.

Does this still mean the roster is full of flaws? You bet. Does this still mean this situation, beyond the struggles that emerge with a flat cap, are on the FO? Yes. But I can’t see doing any better this offseason given the limited options.
I think it appears they opted to sacrifice a top six forward in Hall instead of trading
one of 35\1 plus Gryz. Now its been stated they don't like what they have been offered for Gryz and I guess given what they lost in 37\46 are saving everything defensively
they have.

Reactions: Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
JVR+ Geekie\Boqvist overachieving + 37\46 white knighting is about as much as your getting this year.

I can't see #37 coming back and being effective. Any injuries to even Coyle and Zacha never mind 63,74 and 88 and they are in trouble.

It would certainly seem so. And yep there is zero depth in this squad in terms of being able to effectively fill any gaps that emerge in the top 6 or even the top 9, as must be the case with the cap situation I suppose. No doubt depth is a luxury, and covering injuries is a challenge for every team. But even so I think the Bruins' margin for error is going to be razor-thin and certainly narrower than that of the best teams. We're going to need some luck in being able to keep our top guys on the ice.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Not trying to let Sweeney or anyone else off the hook or anything. But in regards to what’s going on this offseason, they’ve done what they’ve have to do given what they have to work with.

Yes, because their plan was to win it all last year but they choked in the playoffs, leaving them literally with their dicks in their hands because they didn't actually have a plan. Get it? What we're seeing now is full panic mode, which does not actually constitute a plan.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Scepticism warranted. Although again I think he's on a scoring line or not playing. I think he's really ill-fit for a grinder kind of role.

I like it because to me, I'm more excited about Jesper Boqvist than I am about James Van Riemsdyk. There were a ton of these castaway young players available who had shown something that I wish we had gone that route over plugs like JVR, Brown and Shattenkirk. The Kraken had a team full of them and they were entertaining to watch and (considering roster makeup) wildly successful.

Give me potential over has-beens and never-was's. It probably won't work, but at least it gives you a shot and is interesting to watch.

This is a skilled scoring winger. He's not a center, and he's not a 4th liner. Lousy on face-offs. Doesn't kill penalties.

Whichever of the 4 lines is getting the softest defensive match-ups, that's the line he'll likely be on.

Same as Lucic. If your a coach and your using your 4th line for tough defensive match-ups, than your not putting Lucic on your 4th line either.

I like both signings but the only way either is on the 4th line is if the coaching staff have decided to not use the 4th line for defensive match-ups that particular night.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I look at it as they aren't keen on Beecher and McLaughlin, not a speed deficiency.
Beecher was never in the plans for this year. He has to become a good, top half of the roster AHL player before he becomes an NHL player. He was better in the 2nd half of the season after a disastorous 1st half. Let him build on that and earn a spot.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Beecher was never in the plans for this year. He has to become a good, top half of the roster AHL player before he becomes an NHL player. He was better in the 2nd half of the season after a disastorous 1st half. Let him build on that and earn a spot.
Well never being in the plans for this year is even worse than not being keen...lol.

Its pretty sad a teams 1st round pick, after his D+4 season isn't in any plans, especially with the openings they should have.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
We all had high hopes for Beecher...perhaps he's over the the peer competition anxiety? pro level? whatever? adjustment.

Has all the tools...needs to pull it together.

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Did something happen between his Selkie win and now that makes you think he can't play in the NHL effectively anymore?

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Reading some comments from NJD fans on what he brings, he sounds kind of like Danton Heinen
I had the same initial thought. Perimeter player soft shows flashes of skill good skater.

Still I don’t mine taking chances on the younger guys.

Did something happen between his Selkie win and now that makes you think he can't play in the NHL effectively anymore?

I personally still hope and think he can be effective but he did have a herniated disk and is another year older.

Reactions: Gordoff and ON3M4N

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Danton a speedster ? guess my tv was on slow mo

they’re kinda the opposite one is lighter and high octane that’s not good along the boards or defensively enough to trust on PK yet..

the other is slow good along the boards and drifts into shooting spots uses body to his advantage and can be trusted on PK cause of his positional play.

Lighter wingers whose game is better suited for a finesse style of hockey. Shows flashes of skill, but doesn't do it consistently. Good underlying numbers, but it hasn't really translate to the scoresheet. Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for the kid to be successful and if Monty is as good with youngster as we think, then I like the chance of him improving. I was a fan of Heinen when he was here too and was even labeled as a "Heinen Fanboy" by those who hated him.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Disagree.

Bruins dominated the regular season, as all the numbers show.

To imply they somehow were fortunate, as if they didn't earn it, just isn't right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad