Jersey toss in Ottawa last night

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
I really don’t gave a problem with it at all. Clearly Senators fans are a frustrated bunch. This isn’t about simply playing bad hockey. It’s a culmination of many things including their poor effort so don’t say “omg it’s only been 30 games blah blah blah”.

- A penny-pinching owner who has completely disconnected himself from the fan base.
- A horrible arena situation.
- An overall terrible team with no identity that seemed to have stopped trying.

As others have already mentioned there just doesn’t seem to be any light at the end of this tunnel.

What I don’t get is when people in here say something along the lines of “why not just give it to another fan and leave” or “people who do that aren’t fans and shouldn’t watch hockey”.

The person who threw their jersey was likely one of the most passionate fans they have. At the end of the day the throwing of the jersey gets talked about as it is right now in this thread. It gets media attention. The Ottawa situation has some light shined onto it and these discussions happen. People who aren’t privy to what’s going on see something like that and really say “wow it must be bad in Ottawa what the heck is going on”.

Does something like this mean anything in the long run? Probably not, but it gets people talking and if you want something to change, that alone is a good start. It sends a powerful message.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Ottawa's trade history is simply atrocious. Aside from Turris for Rundblad, all their trades the past few years have had a negative outcome.

Then include low-balling God so he left for Detroit.

Ottawa has the worst organisation in the NHL, perhaps along with Montreal and Buffalo.

The difference in Ottawa is that the owner basically is not committed to winning since he isn't willing to spend to cap and then interferes with management in making roster moves based on cash considerations.

In Montreal we went through that same thing with the Expos where excellent teams were broken up for cash considerations, it's absolutely miserable and how can you expect fans to come out and throw their hard earned money/support at a so called "major league" team that's not committed to actually winning? You can deal with a team that's bad but the owners/management have something of a plan and devote the resources to get better.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I guess it's frustrating seeing a team make a trade over $ and have it end thus far, in a complete disaster. Melnyk will always be hated there. time to sell.
Overall though, they haven't been through THAT much given what other fanbases have.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
That they do I'd also say they need a new coach something is stale and they have good talent.
It's really unfair to fire Boucher so soon. They looked great up until that trade. And he had nothing to do with that.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
when you are incredibly boring to watch, not winning and ownership is saying he won’t spend to the cap and may consider moving.... I can see why fans are pissed.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You never really see this much bad press and ill will towards a team coming off an ECF appearance.

Three things I hope happen to the Ottawa Senators. 1) Finally move out of Kanata and back to Ottawa. 2) Melnyk sells the team to an owner who doesn't cry about personal finances at the NHL centennial celebrations and 3) Go back to their 90s jerseys and logo.

Reactions: johnnyutah

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Seems to have worked for Leaf fans. Toss some jersey onto the ice, NHL starts thinking about jersey sales, and next thing you know they win the lottery the following year.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Jealous as a Habs fan.

It took us 6 years of garbage with Bergevin before we put paper bags on statues and T-shirt guy appeared behind the bench.

Wish our paying fans would show a bit more initiative.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
His jersey so he can do whatever he wants with it but it was a foolish thing to do. The team provided us with an exciting playoff run last year that went far longer than anyone expected. They are crap this year but all teams have ups and downs, it sucks but oh well.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Something I would never do, but don’t have a problem with it. The fans are clearly frustrated and the ownership of the team is making things a lot worse.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I feel for Ottawa fans. Melnyk is an atrocious owner who's shown time and again that he'd rather pinch pennies than do anything that might help the team. The product on the ice is terrible, and not only is there no apparent plan to make it better, but there's no apparent desire to. The Sabres went through something like that in the Rigas-Golisano eras, and it sucked ass. I don't like the Sens, but the fans deserve better. Throwing a jersey on the ice obviously doesn't fix anything, but it sure brings a media spotlight to the situation.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
The Sens need to get back to drafting and developing. They used to be amongst the best in the league at that until Dorion started trading all their picks and prospects away. Just look at where they stand in the weak Atlantic division going forward. In the last several years their division rivals have kept their picks and been drafting guys like Eichel, Middlestadt, Ristolainen, Nylanders, Matthews, Marner, Ekblad, Barkov all while the Sens, as good as Chabot looks, have been drafting lower quantity and quality of prospects. Dorion if he remains the GM must find away to bring some comparable young talent Into the organization otherwise they will likely remain below Tampa, Toronto, Buffalo, Boston and Florida in he Atlantic Division for years to come.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
The Sens need to get back to drafting and developing. They used to be amongst the best in the league at that until Dorion started trading all their picks and prospects away. Just look at where they stand in the weak Atlantic division going forward. In the last several years their division rivals have kept their picks and been drafting guys like Eichel, Middlestadt, Ristolainen, Nylanders, Matthews, Marner, Ekblad, Barkov all while the Sens, as good as Chabot looks, have been drafting lower quantity and quality of prospects. Dorion if he remains the GM must find away to bring some comparable young talent Into the organization otherwise they will likely remain below Tampa, Toronto, Buffalo, Boston and Florida in he Atlantic Division for years to come.

That's just it, we've been trading draft picks for money....added a second to zibby for brassard so we woudn't have to sign zibby or pay brassards signing bonus, extra first for duchene so we wouldn't have to pay Turris. It's all money moves, every single one of them and that's why fans are sick of the ownership.

What other team has never bought out a player in their history? What other team purposely takes on Phaneuf's contract to save cash? What other team wouldn't have just bought out or demoted the scrubs we traded for him? Why is Hoffman on the block (hint: his salary is higher than his cap hit)?

It's disgusting as fans to watch, I personally won't go to another game till Melnyk is gone. As a die hard fan that hurts....

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Similar to when Varlamov carried the Avalanche and they garbaged it up the year after. No one tossed a jersey at an Avs game last year either, did they?
That's only because no one owns one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad