Jeremy Roenick

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
Never a great player. Only 2x in the top 10 in points and 2x in goals. Very good player who hung on way too long.

It was harder to be on the top 20 in points in the 90's than it is today in the top 10...

If you are measuring his worth strictly by his goals and assists then you really don't understand what made him a great player in the first place.

Completely agree, not to mention that Roenick stats took a dive because he was not the same after his injury in the mid 90's...

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
If you are measuring his worth strictly by his goals and assists then you really don't understand what made him a great player in the first place.
Roenick at one time was a great player until 1993-94. He was an above average player until 2000. After that, he was becoming an average player to a player the last 3 seasons that simply hung on to get to 500 goals. His mouth kept him in the news more then his play did at times. If that makes him great, then Matthew Barnaby, Sean Avery, Ryan Kesler, Paul Bissonnette, IIya Bryzgalov were all great players as well. Also, if Roenick was so great, then where are his post season AS votes? Where are his Hart votes?

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
It was harder to be on the top 20 in points in the 90's than it is today in the top 10...

Completely agree, not to mention that Roenick stats took a dive because he was not the same after his injury in the mid 90's...

So you are using injuries as a excuse? That alone proves he wasn't a great player. Simply put, Roenick isn't a HOF.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011

That an interesting take, players like Tavares and Ovechkin has not made the top 10 in the last 5 season and without missing many games.

In the late 90s, Stumpel, Demitra made the top 10, a 35 year's old Steve Thomas could make the top 20, would a 35 year's old Steve Thomas make the top 10 today ?

Maybe that happened some season of the 90s versus some season of the 2010s, but has a general rules I really doubt it.

In the last 2 season very few over 30 are able to crack the top 10 (and they are Malkin-Ovechkin-Crosby-Kane type to do so) there is no sign that it is getting easier, like it could arguably look like from the early 90s versus the late 90s/early 2000s

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Early/prime Roenick was an absolute stud as a player, and I like his personality a lot. In the early-90's Roenick was as dynamic and exciting as any player in the NHL of his ilk, including Lindros, Clark, Neely, Tkachuk, Bure, Jagr, Sundin, Fedorov, Forsberg, etc. I loved watching young JR play the game--he could fly, score, hit, pass, and pull fans out of their seats. His goal scoring was top-notch and his bone-jarring hits were underrated. I know Modano is labelled the "Prince of USA Hockey" but to me, Roenick embodied the "dynamic, exciting, gritty American player" more than anyone, except maybe his teammate Chelios.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
Early/prime Roenick was an absolute stud as a player, and I like his personality a lot. In the early-90's Roenick was as dynamic and exciting as any player in the NHL of his ilk, including Lindros, Clark, Neely, Tkachuk, Bure, Jagr, Sundin, Fedorov, Forsberg, etc. I loved watching young JR play the game--he could fly, score, hit, pass, and pull fans out of their seats. His goal scoring was top-notch and his bone-jarring hits were underrated. I know Modano is labelled the "Prince of USA Hockey" but to me, Roenick embodied the "dynamic, exciting, gritty American player" more than anyone, except maybe his teammate Chelios.

I agree 100%, to me he was the face of American Hockey before his injury, he was also better than Modano before his injury...

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I agree 100%, to me he was the face of American Hockey before his injury, he was also better than Modano before his injury...

he absolutely was better than modano. but prime late 90s modano was so much better than young modano, and imo was also better than young peak roenick

that said, peak early 90s chelios, on the very same team as roenick, was far and away the actual best american player of our lifetimes

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
We could use his colour again in the NHL. Or a player like him. Whether it is social media, the lawyer invested NHL or whatever, the point is there is so much set up to discourage a personality like Roenick again.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
We could use his colour again in the NHL. Or a player like him. Whether it is social media, the lawyer invested NHL or whatever, the point is there is so much set up to discourage a personality like Roenick again.

Fundamentally personalities like Roenick's are too much of a distraction. It seems that being colorful and free-spirited often goes hand-in-hand with being an awful role model. If it hurts a team from winning, it just isn't going to fly.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Fundamentally personalities like Roenick's are too much of a distraction. It seems that being colorful and free-spirited often goes hand-in-hand with being an awful role model. If it hurts a team from winning, it just isn't going to fly.

I am not sure if the Hawks were ever hurt by Roenick though. I never felt "Oh, they'll never win with him on their roster" type of thing. His post Hawks career, maybe. But as a Hawk, I think it would have shocked no one if Roenick had helped carry the Hawks to the Cup.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I am not sure if the Hawks were ever hurt by Roenick though. I never felt "Oh, they'll never win with him on their roster" type of thing. His post Hawks career, maybe. But as a Hawk, I think it would have shocked no one if Roenick had helped carry the Hawks to the Cup.

Probably because Roenick was a youngster and there were veteran players who controlled the room. But I know in San Jose he spread a lot of unprofessionalism and bad habits around the locker room.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I always felt he was a surefire HHofer until his first knee injury, then he became just another 35-40 goal scorer. As for his attitude, I did not like it, but it also enabled to hit like a truck, play with a broken jaw etc. There is a certain similarity to Marchand in the attitude I think in that it was part of the package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad