Jeremy Roenick

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
Jeremy Roenick was a great player, but what I love about him is his personality, to me Roenick is what is missing today not just in the NHL but on sports in general, We don't have many great personalities like in the past, maybe because today players agents tell them not to do this, not to do that, not say this and that, and that to me blows a big part of the show.

What are your toughts on Roenick? I love him, he was a great player with great personality, funny and quick in his lines, he is perfect to comment on the NHL.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
very good player who gets underrated because of his final 5 seasons being weak.

although his "hanging on" seasons are no worse than what Marleau has put up

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Skilled player. Maybe should have been able to make a little more out of his talent than he did. A major injury hurt his cause.

Not a good analyst...also not his job, he's just there to stir the pot, but he does so hamhandedly...doesn't have a great feel for the game itself, but like Don Cherry, does hit on some interesting points from time to time despite obviously not having a great mind for the tactical nuance of the game or the evaluation of players on the whole...

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
By my count, he's the last player (until McDavid likely does it this year) to have three consecutive 100 point seasons.

At the end of 93-94, I'm fairly confident that most people would have said that Roenick would have the better career than Sakic. JR leveled off after that (albeit as a very good 1C), and Sakic took the next step.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The fact that Roenick and Turgeon have 1200+ and 1300+ pts respectively and aren't in the HHOF is one of hockey's greatest mysteries. Mike Modano is in and he has 1374. Does he get special treatment because he's American? Is there any American player that has more points than Roenick and fewer than Modano?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The fact that Roenick and Turgeon have 1200+ and 1300+ pts respectively and aren't in the HHOF is one of hockey's greatest mysteries. Mike Modano is in and he has 1374. Does he get special treatment because he's American? Is there any American player that has more points than Roenick and fewer than Modano?

Both Roenick and Modano are american in this example, making it a bit hard to follow.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Both Roenick and Modano are american in this example, making it a bit hard to follow.
Yes. I was talking about Modano having roughly 50 more points than Turgeon. Why does Modano get in and Turgeon doesn't?
Also I was wondering if Roenick is 2nd on the All-Time American-born scoring list.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Yes. I was talking about Modano having roughly 50 more points than Turgeon. Why does Modano get in and Turgeon doesn't?
Also I was wondering if Roenick is 2nd on the All-Time American-born scoring list.

NHL.com let you filter by nationality;

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...r=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists

It depend if you consider Brett Hull American or Canadian, but it seem to be

Hull
Modano (first US born)
Housley

Then Roenick.

has for Modano in versus Turgeon, highest US born scorer is a nice trivia that go to is favor for sure, but also
  • Cup
  • First team all star
  • International play
  • More Selke and Hart vote than Turgeon
  • Face of a Franchise

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Jeremy Roenick was a great player, but what I love about him is his personality, to me Roenick is what is missing today not just in the NHL but on sports in general, We don't have many great personalities like in the past, maybe because today players agents tell them not to do this, not to do that, not say this and that, and that to me blows a big part of the show.

What are your toughts on Roenick? I love him, he was a great player with great personality, funny and quick in his lines, he is perfect to comment on the NHL.

I loved Roenick in EA Sports' NHLPA '93 and NHL '94 games. :D

Reactions: Incubation

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
That "face of a franchise" aspect is meaningful, to me, when looking at potential Hall of Famers. That's one reason (not the only reason) that guys like Mats Sundin and probably Alfredsson are clear Hall of Famers to me, whereas guys like Roenick and Lecavalier are not.

To be fair, Roenick had kind of bad-luck in terms of his profile. His youthful scoring peak was on an "O6" franchise that was peaking at the time, and then he sort of played out the rest of his prime in obscurity in Phoenix. And by the time he got to Philly he had maybe lost a step, and put in only three years there. It creates this collective memory that he crashed and burned quickly from his young days in Chicago, but really the "Phoenix obscurity" + "Dead-puck era" kind of did the job for him.

All the same, he was not (to my memory) ever the "face of a franchise" after about 1996 at the latest, when he was just 26 (and in '95 and '96 he missed some games and was outscored by old-men like Nicholls and Chelios).

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj

I don't think any of the 3 are HOF worthy.

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
I have both Roenick and Turgeon in my Hall of Fame, and I think Roenick definitely has the Fane aspect nailed down, plus 500 goals.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I feel like if he just stayed in one place for an extended period of time, he'd be better remembered and perhaps a HOFer.

In the second half of his career, he hopped around from team to team. Phoenix, Philly, LA, Phoenix again, finally SJ. The deepest he ever took any of those teams was Philly's 2004 run.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
A very good regular season player. Narcissist in every shape and form. Never his fault. Always found someone to blame losses on. Didn't score a point in a philly playoff run and blamed the goalie. Overrated by a few. Never really elite. Mostly a leader for underachieving teams. Has never won anything. He has no awards, no championships, no cups, nothing.

Thats Roenick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad