Jeremy Colliton thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Thought Keith kind of eluded to their different philosophies in an interview. Suggesting Q allowed them to play more instinctual and with freedom. JC on the other hand, is more detailed, more situationally structured. So it's entirely possible that JC being slightly more structured than Q has caused some small friction, even a year later.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Toews is a 13 year vet with 128 playoff games, turning 32 this season. He probably should have been better a few seasons ago, but at this point, it is not at all out of the ordinary for him to have declined.

The guy gave up his body to win as much as anyone else. Not every player is going have a slow burn in their 30’s.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Because it’s as close to a singular reason this team sucks as you can find in a team sport. It’s a very big deal. What Q did two years ago isn’t.
the coaching problem may be as big of a problem as toews playing crappy.

toews being the singlular reason this team sucks and comparing to every team sport is just NONSENSE. they are like setting records for shots against lol.

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

toews being the singlular reason this team sucks and comparing to every team sport is just NONSENSE. they are like setting records for shots against lol.

I'm not arguing for Colliton, I'm saying whining about Q isn't the issue here.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Because it’s as close to a singular reason this team sucks as you can find in a team sport. It’s a very big deal. What Q did two years ago isn’t.
No it's not. Teams go without their top C even playing and do fine. (Crosby and the Pens for example) The team should still be able to play competitive hockey without their top player, but the Hawks can't even do it with Toews acting as a #3C) Blaming Toews for this teams issues is just looking for a scapegoat, and dumb.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Toews' defensive stats haven't been this bad since his rookie year. They're 5-6 percentage points below his career average. This is a very big reason why the team defense sucks. Toews can't match up against other team's top lines... The effects of that trickle down through the rest of the lineup. You really can't see that as being a major problem?

If Toews can't match up against top lines, someone else's line has to do it. Say... Kampf's. That creates terrible match up mismatches, because his line can't do it, either. Him sucking ass has an effect on the entire rest of the roster and team defense... If his line is getting steamrolled by the opposing top line, you can never get any quality matchups for your other lines. It puts you at a constant disadvantage.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
No it's not. Teams go without their top C even playing and do fine. (Crosby and the Pens for example) The team should still be able to play competitive hockey without their top player, but the Hawks can't even do it with Toews acting as a #3C) Blaming Toews for this teams issues is just looking for a scapegoat, and dumb.

Malkin, Evgeni. #71

Also, the Hawks have always and will always live and die with the play of their 1C and 1D.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
On pace for 48 points and 16 goals. Captain of the team, 1C, one of the highest cap hits in the league. Has looked good at best this season while spending most of it playing disinterested/inneffective hockey. Why wouldn't we complain about Toews?
Yes, you can complain about Toews, I don't have much of an issue with that. It's the blaming him for this teams problems that is the problem. How does the team look when Toews is on the bench and not playing? Like garbage.

Also, this is a real question, is there any other #1Cs that are playing very well, whose best linemate is of the ilk of Brandon Saad, and then straddled with a 3rd line winger on the other side? I can't think of many.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yes, you can complain about Toews, I don't have much of an issue with that. It's the blaming him for this teams problems that is the problem. How does the team look when Toews is on the bench and not playing? Like garbage.

Also, this is a real question, is there any other #1Cs that are playing very well, whose best linemate is of the ilk of Brandon Saad, and then straddled with a 3rd line winger on the other side? I can't think of many.

His cap hit makes the second part of your post nearly irrelevant. But for discussion's sake, Toews has not been producing with any and all linemates this year. Seems like a very week excuse to me, like something i'd find on the Maple Leafs board

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Malkin, Evgeni. #71

Also, the Hawks have always and will always live and die with the play of their 1C and 1D.
That the GMs problem for not having the depth to make up for a decline in play of their top guys, or injuries, no? What about Bergeron being out? Bruins went on a 8 game winning streak without him. What about the teams that are in the playoffs that don't even have a legit top 1C? (Arizona) etc. Blaming it on Toews is dumb.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
His cap hit makes the second part of your post nearly irrelevant. But for discussion's sake, Toews has not been producing with any and all linemates this year. Seems like a very week excuse to me, like something i'd find on the Maple Leafs board
He hasn't had more than a game or two with Kane on his wing permanently. Look at other Cs around the league and find one making big money that isn't playing with more skilled players than Toews.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
He hasn't had more than a game or two with Kane on his wing permanently. Look at other Cs around the league and find one making big money that isn't playing with more skilled players than Toews.

Saad isn’t a legitimate 1st line support player? Again, Toews’ cap hit is high enough to where he simply needs to be producing regardless. That’s what goes along with having one of the highest AAV’s in the league

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Saad isn’t a legitimate 1st line support player? Again, Toews’ cap hit is high enough to where he simply needs to be producing regardless. That’s what goes along with having one of the highest AAV’s in the league
Not compared to what most other #1Cs are playing with on a nightly basis.
Monahan - Gaudreau
Aho - Teravainen
Begeron - Marchand/Pastrnak
MacKinnon - Landeskog/Raantanen
McDavid - Draisatil
Barkov - Huberdeau
OReilly - Perron
Matthews - Nylander
Tavares - Marner
Backstrom - Ovechkin
Scheifele - Connor/Laine
etc

Yes, he should produce on his own based off of his AAV, but when has he ever done that? Why do we expect it now? Because Bowman gave him 10.5mil? Sounds like the GM gave him too much money, surprise.

Last edited:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
On pace for 48 points and 16 goals. Captain of the team, 1C, one of the highest cap hits in the league. Has looked good at best this season while spending most of it playing disinterested/inneffective hockey. Why wouldn't we complain about Toews?
EVERYONE IS IN AGREEMENT

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Exactly. We know Toews can still produce offensively with talent on his wings. There just isn’t enough to go around right now so the spotlight goes to him. Put a guy like TT or even Zuccarello with him and he’d be producing more.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Toews is a 13 year vet with 128 playoff games, turning 32 this season. He probably should have been better a few seasons ago, but at this point, it is not at all out of the ordinary for him to have declined.

The guy gave up his body to win as much as anyone else. Not every player is going have a slow burn in their 30’s.
He's been bad 3 of the last 4 seasons.

Reactions: ColdSteel2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad