Jeremy Colliton Thread 2

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Anyone catch Burish on Carmine and Jurko?

Thought Colliton's demeanor and method of communicating is exactly what is needed in today's NHL.

He also thought it's too early to blow it up. Jurko pushed back with a Red Wings comparison, holding Dats and Zetterburg too long.
Then Burish said it's too soon to blow it up because the Hawks still have a good Cup capable core!

Yeah, we still have Keith, Crow, Kane and Toews but who is the next prime Seabs, Ladd, Sharp, Campbell, Hossa, KVS, Brouwer, KVS?

I'd like to see K&T retire as Hawks but this is not Stan Mikita;s NHL anymore. We need to start over, selling anyone over 25/26 to anyone that makes a fair offer.

Reactions: BrianE and d rake

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Thought Colliton's demeanor and method of communicating is exactly what is needed in today's NHL.

He also thought it's too early to blow it up. Jurko pushed back with a Red Wings comparison, holding Dats and Zetterburg too long.
Then Burish said it's too soon to blow it up because the Hawks still have a good Cup capable core!

Yeah, we still have Keith, Crow, Kane and Toews but who is the next prime Seabs, Ladd, Sharp, Campbell, Hossa, KVS, Brouwer, KVS?

I'd like to see K&T retire as Hawks but this is not Stan Mikita;s NHL anymore. We need to start over, selling anyone over 25/26 to anyone that makes a fair offer.

Yeah, Burish is a smart guy but he's more of a fan than an analyst when it comes to Hawks. As for K/T being traded, when I see it I'll believe it. I reckon it won't happen if McD has his way.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Yeah, Burish is a smart guy but he's more of a fan than an analyst when it comes to Hawks. As for K/T being traded, when I see it I'll believe it. I reckon it won't happen if McD has his way.

Guess he has to be with his position and mingling with the fans, i like him though and he's alot of fun.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI

Agree with the bolded. If we keep K & T don't they still have nearly a quarter of cap tied up? Time to start over and get picks and move cap space just like uncle Dale and whomever picked our present stars.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yes because their players are better, defensively and offensively and have much more depth. Now for you on paper it might not look that great but actual real performance wise they are better than Hawks forwards collectively in every aspect especially in their own zone.

Ya, I agree. That was pretty much the point I was making but maybe didn’t make as clear. They have supporting cast guys performing better than you’d expect, Hawks have the opposite.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Ya, I agree. That was pretty much the point I was making but maybe didn’t make as clear. They have supporting cast guys performing better than you’d expect, Hawks have the opposite.

Hawks used to be like that, when they had a performing core all these young guys would pop up feed off the winning environment and perform, now it’s just meh players coming up and doing nothing and there is literally not one player in the A that can come up and help the team and it has been that way for 3 years.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hawks used to be like that, when they had a performing core all these young guys would pop up feed off the winning environment and perform, now it’s just meh players coming up and doing nothing and there is literally not one player in the A that can come up and help the team and it has been that way for 3 years.

And yet Stan is a great GM according to some of the die-hard.. :sarcasm: Malarkey.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Ya, that pretty much sums up what I was getting at.

Pens are just a great example of how good teams can make it work even when things look bad on paper, especially when your three best players miss significant time.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
And yet Stan is a great GM according to some of the die-hard.. :sarcasm: Malarkey.

Yes he’s an excellent GM, it’s been 5 years since the last cup win, we just need to miss the playoffs for another 3 years for the die hards to realize that what’s happening now is not a byproduct of winning but a byproduct of Stan the Man

Reactions: BobbyJet

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Ya, that pretty much sums up what I was getting at.

Pens are just a great example of how good teams can make it work even when things look bad on paper, especially when your three best players miss significant time.

That’s why I get annoyed when the whole we suck now because we were so good narrative is brought up so often, there are many examples in the league that show otherwise and also many pieces that were traded away if had not been this team would have kept contending.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
This team was done contending after 2017. They should have completely started the rebuild after the loss to Nashville. Yes this is on Bowman for not doing it.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
That’s why I get annoyed when the whole we suck now because we were so good narrative is brought up so often, there are many examples in the league that show otherwise and also many pieces that were traded away if had not been this team would have kept contending.

Yeah, must be you're spoiled if you think Hawks can win anymore after team success 5 years ago. :sarcasm:
The spin that Hawks are terrible mainly being a product of past success is hilarious but it keeps being used. If his dad wasn't Scotty Bowman, Stan would have been gone years ago.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The detroit comp is not that accurate...they need a boston type retool...that team hit on pasta, mcavoy and carlo and made a coach/gm switch and things turned a corner for them but it was their old core that led the charge

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The detroit comp is not that accurate...they need a boston type retool...that team hit on pasta, mcavoy and carlo and made a coach/gm switch and things turned a corner for them but it was their old core that led the charge

Is it too much of a stretch to think the hawks are on track to follow that Boston model?

Pasta - Dach
McAvoy - Boqvist
Carlo - Mitchell

they’re definitely not carbon copies or equal style comps, but in terms of potential impact young players those sort of track.

Maybe Hawks should load up a top line too, Dach-Toews-Kane and let the depth sort out from there.

Last edited:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

Let's be fair and look at the league since 2009 when Pens won their 1st recent Cup. They have won 2 more, the Hawks have won 3. Bruins won 1 and lost in 2 finals, Kings won 2 Cups. Those are your powerhouse teams of the recent past. Pens and Bruins are still competing.
Hawks are struggling, Kings suck.

The following teams have had 1 Cup final appearance each since 2009. Flyers, Canucks, Rangers, Sharks, Blues, Devils, Preds, VGK Caps and Lightning.

That's 14 teams out of 31 over 10 seasons worth of time.

In order to win those last 2 Cups we gave up some draft picks that are haunting us now.

I think a total rebuild is necessary because of those "lost" drafts. Nobody on the team currently will supplant Toews and Kane while T&K are still able to be significant contributors for 82 games and a playoff grind. Trade for assets, hit on a couple of draft picks, sign a key free agent or two will be what is needed to return to Cup conversation.

Other than that happening, one may as well watch the condensed game on NHL.com over your morning coffee.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Is it too much of a stretch to think the hawks are on track to follow that Boston model?

Pasta - Dach
McAvoy - Boqvist
Carlo - Mitchell

they’re definitely not carbon copies or equal style comps, but in terms of potential impact young players those sort of track.

Maybe Hawks should load up a top line too, Dach-Toews-Kane and let the depth sort out from there.

The biggest threat to a boston style retool is the ltir dollars situation...if seabrook tries to come back it will set them back a lot...they already have to figure out the de haan/maatta/shaw situation plus kubalik and strome

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I can't think of many posters who care if Bowman is still here next year.

Would be an interesting poll question after the trade deadline passes. “Do you want Bowman to return?” And nobody gets to see who voted which way.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The biggest threat to a boston style retool is the ltir dollars situation...if seabrook tries to come back it will set them back a lot...they already have to figure out the de haan/maatta/shaw situation plus kubalik and strome

They just need to ignore the fact that Toews, Kane and Keith are getting older. Build the team and when the young guys bring the team back to contention, the older guys will add whatever they can to the team.

These next 2 seasons should be all about rebuilding and waiting out the bad contracts IMO.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
This team was done contending after 2017. They should have completely started the rebuild after the loss to Nashville. Yes this is on Bowman for not doing it.

Actually this team was done contending as a result of the mistakes by Stanley which included

- Signing Seabrook
- Giving away TT and Danault
- Giving away Panarin and Hjalmarsson (After Stanley threw hissy fit after Preds loss)
- Firing Q

There is more but in end Stanley is reason Hawks are the mess they currently are

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Actually this team was done contending as a result of the mistakes by Stanley which included

- Signing Seabrook
- Giving away Panarin and Hjalmarsson (After Stanley threw hissy fit after Preds loss)
- Firing Q

There is more but in end Stanley is reason Hawks are the mess they currently are

The team was done contending after 2017. Nothing you posted argued otherwise.

This is all hindsight though. No one was going to rebuild then.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

- Signing Seabrook
- Firing Q

Amen to that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad