Confirmed with Link: Jensen + 5th to WAS for Madison Bowey + 2020 2nd

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I'm really surprised $2.5m was a problem for Holland wrt re-signing Jensen. I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but I think that's a very fair amount. It's encouraging that the Wings seem to be looking to either spend bigger and go after a significant piece, or just lean on what's in house.
I'm surprised too. Holland said "there was a difference of opinion" at the presser, which could mean anything. Maybe parts were edited out that Kahn heard, Here is a video at FP
What went into the Detroit Red Wings' decision to trade Nick Jensen

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Glad to see him traded and not resigned honestly! I legit don't get all the "good" hype for Jensen, as to me all I see is a 6-8th D who skates well. Much better blueliners out there for 2.5ish money. 2nd round pick and a young defender is more than fine for Jensen.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Glad to see him traded and not resigned honestly! I legit don't get all the "good" hype for Jensen, as to me all I see is a 6-8th D who skates well. Much better blueliners out there for 2.5ish money. 2nd round pick and a young defender is more than fine for Jensen.

Sorry, but you’re just not correct. Jensen is a phenomenal defenseman at $2.5 million. Find a defenseman who signed a UFA contract for $2.5 million or less that is a better player than Jensen

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Sorry, but you’re just not correct. Jensen is a phenomenal defenseman at $2.5 million. Find a defenseman who signed a UFA contract for $2.5 million or less that is a better player than Jensen

11 points, isn't physical and does nothing other than skating particularly well.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
11 points, isn't physical and does nothing other than skating particularly well.

He is a shot suppression guy. He moves the puck in transition better than anyone on the roster. He has good sense on when to jump into the rush as support. He has good gap control. I'm not saying he’s phenomenal as in his overall skill level. I said at $2.5 million.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He is a shot suppression guy. He moves the puck in transition better than anyone on the roster. He has good sense on when to jump into the rush as support. He has good gap control. I'm not saying he’s phenomenal as in his overall skill level. I said at $2.5 million.

I am not saying he is terrible, but I don't see him doing much if anything on a good team. In my opinion he only plays on our team, because our defense is absolutely terrible, and at season start he wasn't even in the top 6 here. His play wasn't that much better from then to now, better but not much, other than that he didn't do terrible with the many extra minutes Blashill gave him. To me 2.5 million a season is a lot, for a bottom pair blueliner.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Jensen immediately signing that deal with the Caps is interesting to me. I figured it would take a bigger deal with longer term to bring him back. I have to assume if we really had interest in re-signing him, we could have made the same offer and he would have signed. I mean he basically agreed to that deal with the Caps sight and role unseen.

I have to think this may be the same scenario with Gus.
We're a really bad franchise with mediocre talent; the Caps are Cup champions and have elite talent. It's not hard to understand why Jensen would prefer playing there over Detroit.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm really surprised $2.5m was a problem for Holland wrt re-signing Jensen. I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but I think that's a very fair amount. It's encouraging that the Wings seem to be looking to either spend bigger and go after a significant piece, or just lean on what's in house.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a Brendan Smith situation where Jensen told Holland he was 100% going to free agency. I haven't followed the chatter so I could be wrong but it would fit given Washington got him at that AAV.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Or he is saving money to outbid himself with Nyquist and Howard.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a Brendan Smith situation where Jensen told Holland he was 100% going to free agency. I haven't followed the chatter so I could be wrong but it would fit given Washington got him at that AAV.

At that AAV and solidly behind two guys on the right side that I don't think he stands a chance to move ahead of. He locked into a third pairing spot, barring injuries to Carlson and Niskanen, for at least the next two years. Which may have been smart on his part. He's unlikely to be exposed there and will probably be able to maintain his value for another contract in four years.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
The 5th is the Buffalo 5th rounder we had.

So the 2nd of our 3 5th round picks.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Well played Kenny. Never if a million years did I actually expect to get a 2nd from Jensen. Bowey, warts and all, is exactly the type of reclamation-ish player we should be taking back. As others have mentioned, I wonder if taking back an NHL defensemen will nudge Kenny to move Daley. Monday can't come soon enough.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
I usually hate being the judgemental type, but if I had to pick one Red Wings player that occasionally indulges in the devils lettuce, it would be Bertuzzi...

I wouldn't be surprised if AA was a guy who was 'passionate' about CBD oils. The kind of passion where you just go 'yeah' 'cool' 'huh' to try to get through the conversation as quickly as possible because thats allllll they talk about.*

*This post is a joke and has ZERO supporting evidence. Picked AA simply becauses he's vegan (again just joking around)

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
So a meh player and what will likely amount to an early 3rd in 2020? For a guy people here were saying was a top 4 d-man? And signed for cheap? Its a fine return, but lets not get ahead of ourselves saying its an amazing return.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Ya okay the money is fine, but at best on a cup team, he’s 6-7-8 man.

He litteraly was just traded to a cup team and is likely being slotted into a 5-6 Dman role. A cup team close to the cap doesn’t pay 10 mil for 4 year for a guy they consider a 7-8 Dman.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
So a meh player and what will likely amount to an early 3rd in 2020? For a guy people here were saying was a top 4 d-man? And signed for cheap? Its a fine return, but lets not get ahead of ourselves saying its an amazing return.

So if we land a high 2nd. Do you consider that a low 1st?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
So if we land a high 2nd. Do you consider that a low 1st?

I think after about 25 its easier to see picks more in lots of picks, not as their individual position. So 26-36 are very similar, the same way the late 2nd and early 3rd (50-70) share a lot of similarities. Its also that around this point luck, good scouting, and need will determine more about actual success more than if you have 69 or 70.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If he was committed to hitting free agency rather than signing with Detroit it's a really good deal. Need to trade Howard and Nyquist and it will be a successful TDL for Holland.

jraj

Dec 2, 2018
I think $2.5 mil is fair price for Jensen, he has played well this year and $2.5 mil isn't that much for a defensemen, especially when considering that happened with Brendan Smith a few years ago... I bet the Rangers regret everything about trading for him...

The problem I have with Jensen is, what does 4 years/$10 mil for Jensen do for the Wings? He's not super young and they aren't close to contending... And this is the first season he looked as good as he has. Will Washington regret this? Doesn't seem like a big contact, but he will be 29 next season and he doesn't have a long track record of success in the NHL. I think the Wings need to play younger guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad