Confirmed with Link: Jensen + 5th to WAS for Madison Bowey + 2020 2nd

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Smith is offensively gifted

Wings already robbed NYR, no need to keep the party line lie. Smith will never score 25 points in a season. His “gifts” don’t amount to anything tangible and never will. Jensen is an overall better Dman than Smith. Always has been, even when Jensen was in the AHL, and if you switched their draft/initial signing scenarios, this would be widely accepted.

That said, Bowey is intriguing. For a milish a year as a 6th, he’s a fine add in. Low risk potentially decent reward

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
For those who know Madison Bowey's game/potential what's the difference between him and Dylan Mcilrath? He was actually a first round pick and hasn't even played for Detroit yet if ever if I'm not mistaken?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
For those who know Madison Bowey's game/potential what's the difference between him and Dylan Mcilrath? He was actually a first round pick and hasn't even played for Detroit yet if ever if I'm not mistaken?

McIlrath is simply born in the wrong era in my opinion. Guy would be a NHL regular in the 90s but he just doesn't skate well enough for the modern game. I love having him in GR protecting our young guys, I would hope the Ilitch family puts a decent AHL salary together for him and retains him as long as he remains interested but I don't think he can really change his fate with NHL teams.

Bowey is a bit like a right-handed Smith thus far. All tool box kind of player that plays physical but has questionable decision making in all three zones to date. It is a flier that he can get this righted, we essential traded Jensen for two fliers in the second round pick and Bowey finally meeting his ridiculous potential. But it is getting late in the game for him even as a D-man, still he has the qualities NHL teams look for, he just needs to play with a bit more pace in his decision making. The Caps are a very good team, they weren't really ideal for him to work through his mistakes on. I think it is a smart gamble, I was high on Bowey in his draft year, he has things to work with, but his struggles are with the mental aspects and game processing, maybe it clicks here maybe not. If it doesn't with us Bowey is likely bound for Europe or McIlrath's standing currently in the AHL in terms of a good player that just cannot keep up with the NHL for a different reason but a problem none the less.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
McIlrath is simply born in the wrong era in my opinion. Guy would be a NHL regular in the 90s but he just doesn't skate well enough for the modern game. I love having him in GR protecting our young guys, I would hope the Ilitch family puts a decent AHL salary together for him and retains him as long as he remains interested but I don't think he can really change his fate with NHL teams.

Bowey is a bit like a right-handed Smith thus far. All tool box kind of player that plays physical but has questionable decision making in all three zones to date. It is a flier that he can get this righted, we essential traded Jensen for two fliers in the second round pick and Bowey finally meeting his ridiculous potential. But it is getting late in the game for him even as a D-man, still he has the qualities NHL teams look for, he just needs to play with a bit more pace in his decision making. The Caps are a very good team, they weren't really ideal for him to work through his mistakes on. I think it is a smart gamble, I was high on Bowey in his draft year, he has things to work with, but his struggles are with the mental aspects and game processing, maybe it clicks here maybe not. If it doesn't with us Bowey is likely bound for Europe or McIlrath's standing currently in the AHL in terms of a good player that just cannot keep up with the NHL for a different reason but a problem none the less.

Is it that late in the game though? Hes 23. Foryears no one came up to Detroit until they were that age

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Is it that late in the game though? Hes 23. Foryears no one came up to Detroit until they were that age

But we are seeing him at the NHL level. I know he isn't getting a ton of responsibility and maybe his game breaks through. We are certainly hoping for that. But the reality is if he fails because of the same issues over the next 20 games and next year in Detroit his options are going to become limited moving forward. We should be getting a pretty desperate hockey player next year. Hopefully he spends the off-season with our young guys in the gym and ups his game.

I get that he is only 23 and has 85 games. But he has been scratched a bit and up with the NHL for a couple years. He needs to start improving here shortly and he cannot make as many hockey IQ mistakes here or he will cement that take on him pretty quickly in the pro scouting circles. Big opportunity for Bowey, I am really glad we are taking a shot on him. I really like this deal, but he is a lottery ticket right now for me, there are reasons the Caps gave up on him and we cannot ignore that completely even if we are hoping for the best in my opinion.

I think we are likely to sign a decently big free agent D-man in one of the next two off-seasons and we have some young guys that are coming and will challenge him for spots. He has a 100 game audition here if he is lucky and right or wrong it might be his last chapter in the NHL if he can't run with it.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Wings already robbed NYR, no need to keep the party line lie. Smith will never score 25 points in a season. His “gifts” don’t amount to anything tangible and never will. Jensen is an overall better Dman than Smith. Always has been, even when Jensen was in the AHL, and if you switched their draft/initial signing scenarios, this would be widely accepted.

That said, Bowey is intriguing. For a milish a year as a 6th, he’s a fine add in. Low risk potentially decent reward

I meant this in past tense. Brendan Smith was a 2010 Hobey Baker finalist and was top scoring defensemen in 2007. He was suppose to be known for his highly offensive abilities that ultimately never panned out

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
But we are seeing him at the NHL level. I know he isn't getting a ton of responsibility and maybe his game breaks through. We are certainly hoping for that. But the reality is if he fails because of the same issues over the next 20 games and next year in Detroit his options are going to become limited moving forward. We should be getting a pretty desperate hockey player next year. Hopefully he spends the off-season with our young guys in the gym and ups his game.

I get that he is only 23 and has 85 games. But he has been scratched a bit and up with the NHL for a couple years. He needs to start improving here shortly and he cannot make as many hockey IQ mistakes here or he will cement that take on him pretty quickly in the pro scouting circles. Big opportunity for Bowey, I am really glad we are taking a shot on him. I really like this deal, but he is a lottery ticket right now for me, there are reasons the Caps gave up on him and we cannot ignore that completely even if we are hoping for the best in my opinion.

I think we are likely to sign a decently big free agent D-man in one of the next two off-seasons and we have some young guys that are coming and will challenge him for spots. He has a 100 game audition here if he is lucky and right or wrong it might be his last chapter in the NHL if he can't run with it.

I get what youre saying, I think next year he needs to show something and Detroit might give him a small contract after that to see if he can pan out or not if he flashes some skill next year. At the same time, he plays 14 mins a night on one of the deepest defenses in the league for one season that hes been up. Its hard to say we're seeing him at the NHL level when he doesnt play at all.

I know hes a wild card and I'm not expecting anything more than a 5/6 dman, but I dont think hes completely make or break already. If he flashes some skill next year the wings could easily give him a 2 year contract and see what he can do to the age of 26 or so before the wings are really ready to compete. I think his ice time has something to do with the mistakes. Playing 14 mins its impossible to get in a rhythm and get your game going. I hope the wings play him 18 mins a night for the rest of this season and see what they have in him

Reactions: Frk It

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I get what youre saying, I think next year he needs to show something and Detroit might give him a small contract after that to see if he can pan out or not if he flashes some skill next year. At the same time, he plays 14 mins a night on one of the deepest defenses in the league for one season that hes been up. Its hard to say we're seeing him at the NHL level when he doesnt play at all.

I know hes a wild card and I'm not expecting anything more than a 5/6 dman, but I dont think hes completely make or break already. If he flashes some skill next year the wings could easily give him a 2 year contract and see what he can do to the age of 26 or so before the wings are really ready to compete. I think his ice time has something to do with the mistakes. Playing 14 mins its impossible to get in a rhythm and get your game going. I hope the wings play him 18 mins a night for the rest of this season and see what they have in him

I had him highly regarded coming out. I still like parts of his game. But yeah we are to improvement time for the next deal. He certainly could flash enough, but I think one of the things that really benefited Jensen was the desperation. Bowey needs to engage a little more. I get that it is hard to do in just 14 minutes, but no coach is going to trust you with a heck of a lot more if you don't show a little more than he has despite the minute problems, that is an unfortunate reality of the league, it isn't going to wait on many outside of lottery picks at least historically.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I meant this in past tense. Brendan Smith was a 2010 Hobey Baker finalist and was top scoring defensemen in 2007. He was suppose to be known for his highly offensive abilities that ultimately never panned out
Smith used his amazing athleticism and skills to overmatch his weaker competition without the ability to use his brain in the NCAA. Once he got to the NHL, the players are fairly even matched and with being too much of a scarecrow he just couldn't get things done at the NHL level.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Is Bowey still a decent prospect?
He is. The Caps have a lot of Vets so he didnt really get many opportunities. His game is definitely improving. He has a lot if potential. Could turn into a decent 2way dman and a top 4. And he only 23.
Add the 2nd round pick and I think Detroit made a good deal.

Reactions: BSHH

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Wings are a better developing club than Capitals.
LOL, what?

Carlson and Orlov vs Erickson? DeKeyser? Jensen? Smith?
Mike Green was a Caps pick
... and look at the coaches as well.

The only plus side for Bowey is that he'll get more ice time and more room to learn from mistakes since Wings aren't in a "win now" mode. I'm a Caps & Wings fan, so I've watched him a few times. Brendan Smith is a fair comparison, he's still got potential.

Sounds like Jensen wanted to play on a winning team, he'll slot in nicely as a third pair. I think Red Wings got the better end of the deal either way.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I hate to continue to derail with Smith talk, but I was watching a condensed Rangers game the other night, and heard something about Smith being converted to left wing. Anyone else heard such nonsense?

Last edited:

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

Big E getting the healthy scratch treatment. I like it.
I'm excited to watch Bowey play, not because I think he will step in and be great but I want to see if potential is there.
Add in a bit of hope that Zadina "fills the net with pucks" and this should be a fun game to watch.

Reactions: Lil Bert

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I hate to continue to derail with Smith talk, but I was watching a condensed Rangers game the other night, and heard something about Smith being converted to left wing. Anyone else heard such nonsense?

I don’t think it’s nonsensical. He legitimately has been playing on the wing.

Which I was an advocate for years of doing this before I found this site. It suits him pretty well. His size and skating ability, the fact that he leans more offensive than defensive. He could be a mismatch bottom 6 forward for sure

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
I don’t think it’s nonsensical. He legitimately has been playing on the wing.

Which I was an advocate for years of doing this before I found this site. It suits him pretty well. His size and skating ability, the fact that he leans more offensive than defensive. He could be a mismatch bottom 6 forward for sure

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I was begging for the Wings to try it since he has the defensive IQ of a damp sock.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I was begging for the Wings to try it since he has the defensive IQ of a damp sock.

No problem at all. I still hope that he can figure it out because he definitely has the physical talent. I think he's more gifted than Reilly, yet Reilly is wearing an "A" for Vegas and has put together some solid years as a winger, and Brendan put together nothing of substance as a defenseman, witnessed his NHL career essentially end, and has been given a second chance that most people could never get.

Reactions: RedMenace

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
No problem at all. I still hope that he can figure it out because he definitely has the physical talent. I think he's more gifted than Reilly, yet Reilly is wearing an "A" for Vegas and has put together some solid years as a winger, and Brendan put together nothing of substance as a defenseman, witnessed his NHL career essentially end, and has been given a second chance that most people could never get.

Agreed. Always wanted to see him put it together, here's hoping he does.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

As a Caps fan this. And you guys should even take his NHL games so far with a grain of salt. He just needs straight up playing time. Not healthy scratches, getting called up and down, inconsistent minutes.

Its not that he's un-developable or done developing, its just that Washington can't afford the time to develop him with his timeline (win now with this core) and a very large glut of even younger defenseman after that.

He's got the physical tools, he just needs the mental ones. And as a young dman, you would rather he has that than the other way around.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Smith used his amazing athleticism and skills to overmatch his weaker competition without the ability to use his brain in the NCAA. Once he got to the NHL, the players are fairly even matched and with being too much of a scarecrow he just couldn't get things done at the NHL level.

And that's why playoff Brendan Smith was a thing. Where so much of the game to survive is choose your first read and GO GO GO, Smith shone because he didn't overthink the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad