Value of: Jeff Skinners next contract

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
in his last 41 games getting first line opportunites he has 16 goals/14 assists which makes him a 30 goal/60 point guy like he was his whole career

hes a minus 13 in the last 41 games which is quite normal for him too

he will be 27 when he starts his new contract... I can just imagine how much he will suck after 31-32 when he loses his speed edge like all older players do.

anyone that signs him to a 7 year deal at more than 6 mill is going to have an anchor on their team for at least 2 years but since he probably only played hard because it was a contract year... I would expect his production to go back to career norms... a soft 50-55 point guy you can count on playing on a second line and being a negative matchup

Still better than that Backes signing.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Still better than that Backes signing.

and if we both put our brain to it we can prob find 25-30 other signings that could be worst too. so whoever signs it wont have one of the top 25 worst contracts in the league to deal with

ok... we agree to that...

I have no idea what that proves on your side of the argument... certainly gives my side of the argument a lot more support though. when you connect the skinner signing to backes you are drawing the comparison. was that your intent?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
in his last 41 games getting first line opportunites he has 16 goals/14 assists which makes him a 30 goal/60 point guy like he was his whole career

hes a minus 13 in the last 41 games which is quite normal for him too

he will be 27 when he starts his new contract... I can just imagine how much he will suck after 31-32 when he loses his speed edge like all older players do.

anyone that signs him to a 7 year deal at more than 6 mill is going to have an anchor on their team for at least 2 years but since he probably only played hard because it was a contract year... I would expect his production to go back to career norms... a soft 50-55 point guy you can count on playing on a second line and being a negative matchup

I assume you want to rid yourself of Bergeron (33 years old) and Marchand ( soon to be 31 year old) because they will suck because they lost their speed edge like ALL OLDER PLAYERS DO, right?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I assume you want to rid yourself of Bergeron (33 years old) and Marchand ( soon to be 31 year old) because they will suck because they lost their speed edge like ALL OLDER PLAYERS DO, right?

I tell you what... you start naming guys that are still playing high end hockey at 32 {im pretty sure you will find they all have compete level coming out the kazoo and a dedication to excellence that saw them as the most intense players their entire career

and I will find a list of inconsistent goal scorers that fall off the face of the earth as they hit 30-31

first person to find 50 examples wins

what should we bet?

let me get started
marian gaborik
dany heatley
brad Richards
ales hemsky
alex tanguay
mike camerelli
mike riberio
derek roy
martin havlat
alexander semin

I will stop here and let you catch up... im going to stick to guys that skinner might actually be in the same league as although all these guys have better seasons. its kind of a joke the 2 names you threw out for comparison lol... but you will have to stick to names like that because these other guys are usually very ineffective as they hit 30-31 and specially 32-33 years of age

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So in other words, you are just making random assumptions about players over 30 that don't apply to Bruins players, but you want to use those random assumptions to apply to other players. Do I have that right?

I'll stop here and let you catch up. ;)

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I tell you what... you start naming guys that are still playing high end hockey at 32 {im pretty sure you will find they all have compete level coming out the kazoo and a dedication to excellence that saw them as the most intense players their entire career

and I will find a list of inconsistent goal scorers that fall off the face of the earth as they hit 30-31

first person to find 50 examples wins

what should we bet?

let me get started
marian gaborik
dany heatley
brad Richards
ales hemsky
alex tanguay
mike camerelli
mike riberio
derek roy
martin havlat
alexander semin

I will stop here and let you catch up... im going to stick to guys that skinner might actually be in the same league as although all these guys have better seasons. its kind of a joke the 2 names you threw out for comparison lol... but you will have to stick to names like that because these other guys are usually very ineffective as they hit 30-31 and specially 32-33 years of age
Its dumb to throw out any names at all...Jeff Skinner's future isn't determined by what you think will happen and he's currently 26 he's going to get signed for 7-8 years for 8 million unless teams don't want a goal scorer you'd be an idiot to let him go. Not that many UFAs since Stone is signed now that makes no other good options should the Sabre just sign every shit player to make up for not signing him and wonder how they keep losing top 6 players?

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
and if we both put our brain to it we can prob find 25-30 other signings that could be worst too. so whoever signs it wont have one of the top 25 worst contracts in the league to deal with

ok... we agree to that...

I have no idea what that proves on your side of the argument... certainly gives my side of the argument a lot more support though. when you connect the skinner signing to backes you are drawing the comparison. was that your intent?

The point is that UFA command large deals. Such is the market.

Skinner is in the most favorable situation a UFA can provide with his youth, past and present scoring.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
To expand on it. Since he's entered the league, Jeff Skinner is 5th in ES goals scored in the NHL. The guys ahead of him: Ovi, Kane, Tavares and Stamkos. That's it.

The guys behind him? Marchand, Seguin, Crosby, Perry, Kessel, Toew, Benn, Pacioretty, etc..

Maybe he'll be a boat anchor contract, but I'd bet he'll continue to be an elite goal scorer.

Reactions: Tryamw

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
To expand on it. Since he's entered the league, Jeff Skinner is 5th in ES goals scored in the NHL. The guys ahead of him: Ovi, Kane, Tavares and Stamkos. That's it.

The guys behind him? Marchand, Seguin, Crosby, Perry, Kessel, Toew, Benn, Pacioretty, etc..

Maybe he'll be a boat anchor contract, but I'd bet he'll continue to be an elite goal scorer.
One can hope

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
in his last 12 games as his team gets the nail in the coffin

ZERO GOALS/5 assists and a minus 8

are you surprised?
I am not surprised... I basically predicted this.

this is quite normal stretch of hockey for this guy and is to be expected even in a contract year it seems. you simply cant count on this guy as your top player or in an important role for a playoff team

even in a season with his HOTTEST START EVER he still is only 70th in the nhl in ppg. 70th is pretty good but there are only 70 active players in the nhl with a cap hit over 6 mill... only 61 forwards make 6 mill or more

only 29 make 7 mill or more...

we think skinner who in a career season is only a top 70 scorer should be getting paid like one of the top 29 forwards in the game??? really... really?

wow

so glad my team isnt involved in this.

id be soooo upset if he had 5 assists in the last 12 games as my team just fell into the ocean

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

I think you can count on him getting his 30 goals... I shouldnt make it seem like I suggest the guy cant score. his goals might not come at gritty important times when a team is fighting for its life. he might allow a lot of goals with weak defensive play when games are on the line. but, with his speed and his ability to take advantage of the giveme opportunities he will find a way to get his 30 goals.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
even in a season with his HOTTEST START EVER he still is only 70th in the nhl in ppg. 70th is pretty good but there are only 70 active players in the nhl with a cap hit over 6 mill... only 61 forwards make 6 mill or more

only 29 make 7 mill or more...

we think skinner who in a career season is only a top 70 scorer should be getting paid like one of the top 29 forwards in the game??? really... really?

What do you think he'll get paid?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think you can count on him getting his 30 goals... I shouldnt make it seem like I suggest the guy cant score. his goals might not come at gritty important times when a team is fighting for its life. he might allow a lot of goals with weak defensive play when games are on the line. but, with his speed and his ability to take advantage of the giveme opportunities he will find a way to get his 30 goals.

No disagreement there.

I will say that a couple of years ago, he basically was the only guy on Carolina that WAS performing at crunch time to try and battle for a playoff spot. Pretty much put the team on his back. It was too little, too late, but he was the guy carrying the team that year and at least keeping them in the hunt. He had 12G, 5A in 16 games in March that year.

He's a streaky goal scorer though and always has been. Problem is, he's been on some really bad teams over the years so when his offense dries up, the teams offense dries up as he's the main guy. Always thought he would be ideal for the Pens.

I agree his 2 way game isn't great either and the Canes didn't want to pay what his next contract was going to cost. Someone will though as goal scoring is still paid a premium (see Evander Kane).

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
What do you think he'll get paid?

I think he will get a lot... evander kane/james van rymsdyke… there are desperate gms out there who will ignore the facts and hope for the best

skinner is a highlight machine and when he gets hot he will fool casual observers into thinking they have the next great white hope.

a gm on a hotseat spending someone elses money will try to win the bidding war with the other 4-5 gms on the hotseat spending someone elses money. im going to predict at least 8 mill but thats not because I think its smart money being spent. and I sure as hell am glad its not my team

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think he will get a lot... evander kane/james van rymsdyke… there are desperate gms out there who will ignore the facts and hope for the best

skinner is a highlight machine and when he gets hot he will fool casual observers into thinking they have the next great white hope.

a gm on a hotseat spending someone elses money will try to win the bidding war with the other 4-5 gms on the hotseat spending someone elses money. im going to predict at least 8 mill but thats not because I think its smart money being spent. and I sure as hell am glad its not my team

Yeah, I could see $8M as well from someone. Even though I'm a fan of Skinner, I wouldn't want my team paying him that much either.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I see him regressing hard after his payday. But also, the Sabres NEED to keep him. They're back to a lottery team without some scoring.

But then on the flip side, this is his last big payday and chance to pick his location and I doubt Buffalo is at the top of that list.

My Avs would be a great fit, but thats a tough pill to swallow ($8M per)

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
I see him regressing hard after his payday. But also, the Sabres NEED to keep him. They're back to a lottery team without some scoring.

But then on the flip side, this is his last big payday and chance to pick his location and I doubt Buffalo is at the top of that list.

I think Buffalo is at the top of his list, actually

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Keep talking out your ass if you want Skinner was one of the main reasons the Sabres were winning early in the season and was the difference in several GT or GW goals that led directly to points. He took a bad hit in the Washington game and has had a problem finishing since then but he's just been unfortunate with his opportunities. Not too mention the entire team has played horrible yet he's still at an even in +/- despite being on a team that is -27 on the season and leads the team in takeaways by 20 over the next player which happens to be Reinhart so good joke with him being a defensive liability.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

I'm curious why you say that.

Skinner will be only 27 years old when he signs his next contract. He's always been one of the hardest workers in the off-season (was working out with Gary Roberts before he even got drafted). He already had a pretty big payday and has made close to $40M already. He's a high character, humble guy.

Do you think he's going to get lazy once he signs another contract? Do you think his skills are going to suddenly degrade at 27 years old?

Why do you think he is going to regress?

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
IMO he's at his ceiling - has been for years. He's not going to get BETTER, he is what he is. 30 goals is great. What else can he do? Paying him for his career averages is reasonable. Is it $8mil/year? Maybe not.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Jeff Skinner is currently a 30 goal/60 point guy. Some years a little more some years a little less. I think it is something that can be counted on him for a good part of any extension he signs. Goal scoring gets a premium, so he'll likely get near the $8 million that many have said he's looking for. He's not likely to get the $9 million rumored to be his ask earlier in the season.

He's a super streaky scorer and his ankle injury probably is having an effect on his current production. I do believe he's still got a 40 goal season in him. He's always performed best when he's on a line with a guy who can make some space for him and a guy who is a good distributor that defers to his shot. Build that line for him and I could see some 70 + point seasons still to come.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
You can count on Skinner getting 30 but you can also count on him not scoring at the end of the season when you need to win and can count on him to be on the ice for much more than 30 too. Cuz he puck hawks instead of playing defense.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
You can count on Skinner getting 30 but you can also count on him not scoring at the end of the season when you need to win and can count on him to be on the ice for much more than 30 too. Cuz he puck hawks instead of playing defense.

Skinners ankle twist and goalless drought came after the Sabres were realistically out of the playoff race. In fact he and Montour have been the only ones on the team that have played like they give a damn recently.

Reactions: Doohickie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad