Value of: Jeff Skinners next contract

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I've been wrong before, but we've also witnessed a bunch of meh players have huge years during their contract years.

Skinner averages over 30 goals per 82 games. Is a 4x 30+ goal scorer. Is 26 years old. Elite skater. Elite ESG scorer. But right he is a meh player :laugh::shakehead

Reactions: Meeqs

Kakko the bust

Hughes > Kakko ALL DAY, everyday
Nov 6, 2017
I've been wrong before, but we've also witnessed a bunch of meh players have huge years during their contract years.

You realize he’s scored 30+ goals, what, like 3 other times. Only 26.

He’s not a “meh” player as you put it.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The market for him is the Kane/JVR deal, 7M-ish.

I don't mind paying him a little bit more, but above 8M is a no go for me.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I think 8.5 is the highest I would go. I watched a video of a leafs fan talking about percentage of the cap for the nylander deal and then I saw an article on diebytheblade and although I think he's probably more suited for 7.5 as where he should land, I think anything over 8.5 is something we're going to regret at some point. The issue as many have mentioned is that we HAVE to sign him because we're so starved for good players and he knows it and will make sure to push for exactly what he believes he's due (which he should). WGR mentioned this morning they believe the team and the player are 1 million off which is a lot and also I'm hoping it's the numbers I mentioned so they just settle at 8 and we can be a little cross about it but at least he's signed and it'll be fine because the cap usually goes up. The percentage of the contracts really are key though. It's why the blackhawks got screwed when they signed toews, kane, and keith to those giant deals all at the same time and then followed up by giving seabrook an "lol" type contract. Gotta pay attention to the percentages because they cap doesn't usually go up by a whole lot but it goes up enough that you can get some deals if you can squeeze a little.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The market for him is the Kane/JVR deal, 7M-ish.

I don't mind paying him a little bit more, but above 8M is a no go for me.
That's my thinking as well. He'll definitely get the max in terms of length especially considering his current age, and probably no less than 7 million per year and probably no more than 8.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I would expect we are looking at an AAV getting close to 9 with the year he has had on a long term deal.

If he chooses to stay in Buf I could see it being closer to 8 but if he hits UFA likely higher.

Goal scoring like that comes at a premium. The guy is a top liner, one of the best goal scorers in the league and has a history of driving play. With all the other garbage players that get big deals, this one should be an easy call.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
8 million should be fair. Especially if he likes buffalo. He seems happy playing there

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Stone set the mark IMO

In a way he did, but you have to take into account state income tax with this. Stone making 9.5 in LV is about the same money as making 13 in Ott.

Where he goes could have an impact on the overall AAV.

Also for all of those using previous flat examples you need to use the deals as a % of the Cap, not flat numbers. Both the crazy McDavid deal and the Cap bumps from expansion teams have caused decent raises in the overall cap and player's/agents account for that inflation

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think anything over 7.5 is too much. He's a band-aid. Reminds me of Gaborik.
I mean Gaborik was pretty good. At the same age Skinner is now Gaborik had 2 more 40 goal seasons and 2 more 20 goal seasons still left in the tank.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I mean Gaborik was pretty good. At the same age Skinner is now Gaborik had 2 more 40 goal seasons and 2 more 20 goal seasons still left in the tank.

Check Gaboriks salary at the time. Inflation and Injuries would put him around that 7.5 mark and would be fair for Skinner. He is still a question mark in my opinion. It is the term he will be looking for that is the problem.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I think 7.5 million a year over 6 years is fair.
Too low, both on term and salary. He's a better player than Kane and Kane got 7 years at 9.33% of the cap. Assuming an 83 million dollar cap that same % turns into 7.75 million a season. So bump that up to at least 8 million a year. That's about what he should get, if he insists on an 8th year it might knock the salary down a bit.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Too low, both on term and salary. He's a better player than Kane and Kane got 7 years at 9.33% of the cap. Assuming an 83 million dollar cap that same % turns into 7.75 million a season. So bump that up to at least 8 million a year. That's about what he should get, if he insists on an 8th year it might knock the salary down a bit.

Yah but I'm in the group that thinks E. Kane got a little overpaid.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I feel bad for Carolina fans. Now I know how it feels to have everyone who knows nothing about Skinner come out of the wood work to try and create the narrative that he is injury prone. He's been extremely durable for 5 years straight and people still parrot stuff they read 5 years ago. Hell the fact that he "almost" got a high ankle sprain but didn't shows he is durable because everyone expected him to be injured on the play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->