Value of: Jeff Skinners next contract

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Hes on an unsustainable point streak right now playing on the hottest line in hockey, but hes going to get paid either way.

Some offensive comparables are Evander Kane, Rakell, and Atkinson. Throw RR's contract out its one of the best in the league. Kane just signed at 7x7.

If he makes it to UFA I can see him getting in the low 8s, and if he signs mid season in Buffalo I would personally go as high as what we were paying ROR on a 5-6 year deal. What do you think?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Fair assessment. I don't believe he signs mid-season, or at least before the deadline, if Buffalo were to sign him. That whole 7 vs 8 year thing I would imagine. But if he keeps consistency, even to a lesser extent, throughout the season, 80 to 100 points and I see pay day for him. 9 a season for 5 to 6 years, maybe more. If it's a long term 8 yr deal, yea, 8.5 to 9. Just guesses though.

Reactions: SadSabresFan

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Hes on an unsustainable point streak right now playing on the hottest line in hockey, but hes going to get paid either way.

Some offensive comparables are Evander Kane, Rakell, and Atkinson. Throw RR's contract out its one of the best in the league. Kane just signed at 7x7.

If he makes it to UFA I can see him getting in the low 8s, and if he signs mid season in Buffalo I would personally go as high as what we were paying ROR on a 5-6 year deal. What do you think?

Playing on the hottest line in hockey...he plays on the Avs?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Playing on the hottest line in hockey...he plays on the Avs?
In the 7 games since Skinner-Eichel-Pominville was put together:
Skinner 8 Goals 5 Assist 13 points
Eichel 1 Goal 11 Assist 12 points
Pominville 7 Goals 6 Assist 13 points
Total 16 Goals 22 Assists 38 Points

Over the same stretch for Rantanen-MacKinnon-Landeskog sincde 10/20, also 7 games
Rantanen 3 Goals 8 Assists 13 points
MacKinnon 4 Goals 6 Assists 10 points
Landeskog 6 Goals 4 Assists 10 points
Total 13 Goals 18 Assists 33 Points

So, yeah, it's close, but the Sabres' new top line has been the hottest line in hockey since it's inception.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
This is going to be Skinner's last big contract if he goes longest term possible. It's still quite early in the season, but I'd ballpark him re-signing with Buffalo 8yr/$64-68M. Might be low, but I think he'll give some discount. He was pretty excited to be traded there. Likely still the case. If he goes UFA? Who knows what those silly GMs will throw around.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
It will all depend on consistency. Can Jack and Jeff sustain this relationship on ice? This season will tell the tale IMO.
If they do, expect the following:
Botterill will re-sign him, after the deadline when he can go to 8 years.
9 mil x 8 yrs is my ceiling, 8.25 mil x 8 yrs is my basement.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
wtf 9m for Jeff Skinner? That shouldnt even be a talking point. Anything more than 7.5 is over payment.

We will see how he plays over the course of the season. But for this first time in his life he is playing with an elite 1C and he looks incredible...like 9m incredible.

Doubt he keeps it up all year but I'm guessing it might end up over $8m per for wherever he signs.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
wtf 9m for Jeff Skinner? That shouldnt even be a talking point. Anything more than 7.5 is over payment.
If he sustains this pace, even for 2/3rd's of the season, not only expect it, be prepared to pay it.

If he hits 40 and they’re close or in to the playoffs it’s gonna be tough to keep him in the 7 range I would think.
40 in the 7 range? Think again. Try 8 as the floor.

7-8 million AAV

Which I'd say is pretty fair value for what he brings imo.
7 - 8 if he drops to 60/70 points, maybe.
If he surpasses 80 points, which it's looking more and more likely early on, 8 as the basement, 9 as the ceiling. As I said before, don't expect it, be prepared for it.
We will see how he plays over the course of the season. But for this first time in his life he is playing with an elite 1C and he looks incredible...like 9m incredible.

Doubt he keeps it up all year but I'm guessing it might end up over $8m per for wherever he signs.
This is accurate imo. We'll have to see. But yes, I concur.

He’s a unique and pretty amazing talent. I’ve been waiting years to see him in a position to succeed, I’m pretty pumped for him. He only wants to play for two teams so I’m guessing he’ll want to sign.
I am unfamiliar with the 2 teams, but Buffalo will be in a position to pay him.

Reactions: CanuckCity

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He had a two team list for his no trade, Buffalo and TO. That's why Buffalo got him for so cheap. TO can't really fit him even if they wanted him so it was Buffalo bidding against itself. The Canes wouldnt wait until the trade deadline where he may have been more willing to go anywhere since he hasnt been to the playoffs yet and wouldve been a UFA in a couple of more months.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
He had a two team list for his no trade, Buffalo and TO. That's why Buffalo got him for so cheap. TO can't really fit him even if they wanted him so it was Buffalo bidding against itself. The Canes wouldnt wait until the trade deadline where he may have been more willing to go anywhere since he hasnt been to the playoffs yet and wouldve been a UFA in a couple of more months.
Toronto can't afford Nylander, they certainly can't afford Skinner. That Tavares contract, what a shit show that has become. Unbelievable they bit their own nose off to spite their face.

mccabe2424

Jul 28, 2013
Toronto
Toronto can't afford Nylander, they certainly can't afford Skinner. That Tavares contract, what a **** show that has become. Unbelievable they bit their own nose off to spite their face.

Toronto can afford Nylander . Toronto doesn't want Skinner. Tavares contact is market value . Better finish your homework before school tomorrow

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If he sustains this pace, even for 2/3rd's of the season, not only expect it, be prepared to pay it.

40 in the 7 range? Think again. Try 8 as the floor.

7 - 8 if he drops to 60/70 points, maybe.
If he surpasses 80 points, which it's looking more and more likely early on, 8 as the basement, 9 as the ceiling. As I said before, don't expect it, be prepared for it.

This is accurate imo. We'll have to see. But yes, I concur.

I am unfamiliar with the 2 teams, but Buffalo will be in a position to pay him.
That's what I said

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad