Player Discussion Jeff Skinner

Do you approve of Skinner for Pu, 2019 2, 2020 3 & 6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Skinner has been an up and down player in his career. Even as a UFA is he worthy of being a top paid ten LWer in the league? I think he'll disappoint long term. But hey good luck to him and his team next year,,,,likely the Sabres.

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
I think he’s going to get 6 or 7 years. Something like 7.5 x 6.
What if he gets 45 goals this year? You still think he will take 7.5?

He might be thinking that he can get 10 on the open market. The thing that works in the Sabres favor is that he really wants to stay close to Toronto, the leafs have no room for him, and there is no other city this close to Toronto. Maybe a "home town" discount

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
What if he gets 45 goals this year? You still think he will take 7.5?

He might be thinking that he can get 10 on the open market. The thing that works in the Sabres favor is that he really wants to stay close to Toronto, the leafs have no room for him, and there is no other city this close to Toronto. Maybe a "home town" discount

I think he’s 8 years body of work is more important then what he does in a contract year. In saying that, who knows all it takes is one GM. If he wants $10 per then it’s coming from someone else.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Everyone said he was horrific defensively but who cares when he's always in the o zone? And when he is in the D zone he hustles a lot even if it's not his game

I don’t think he’s been nearly as bad as advertised defensively. I have been pleasantly surprised in that regard. I’ve actually been really happy with his overall game away from the puck. It’s been a lot better than I expected.

He seems to have a knack for stealing pucks in the o and neutral zone, too. Whether by stripping the puck on a back check or knocking passes out of the air.

And he’s great at finding space in the o zone. He knows how to get open and knows where to go to score goals.

Steal of a trade if Botterill gets him signed...

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I think he’s 8 years body of work is more important then what he does in a contract year. In saying that, who knows all it takes is one GM. If he wants $10 per then it’s coming from someone else.

we finally have a winger who converts the chances Eichel creates and then we refuse to pay him?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
LoveD the trade, used to hate the player. Now love both. Sign him.
Serious question - did you used to hate the player based on reputation? Or did you watch him play and dislike him?

I know what some of the detractors had to say about his game, but I literally see none of it when he plays. I wonder how much of it is word of mouth versus actual performances

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Serious question - did you used to hate the player based on reputation? Or did you watch him play and dislike him?

I know what some of the detractors had to say about his game, but I literally see none of it when he plays. I wonder how much of it is word of mouth versus actual performances

He had a reputation as a diver and a bit of a talker on the ice. I think that has calmed down substantially since coming here. But to play devil's advocate, so much of my mentality could be driven by him being a Carolina player who produced against us while watching him. I'm beyond pleased with the player we received now and happily admit it. I always loved the trade because it was a steal and as a hockey fan I knew it, but he wouldn't have been a guy I'd target myself and I'm glad I'm once again proven wrong.

Reactions: jBuds

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Skinner's always been a one man show. It didn't matter who his linemates were. As long he could carry the puck he'd generate his own scoring chances and could finish enough to put up respectable numbers. He never played with an elite playmaking center like Eichel. I wondered if they could co-exist on the same line with only one puck to go around. The chemistry was instant. I haven't seen two players with that kind of speed and skill complement each other at that level since Lafontaine and Mogilny. It's only going to get better.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Skinner's always been a one man show. It didn't matter who his linemates were. As long he could carry the puck he'd generate his own scoring chances and could finish enough to put up respectable numbers. He never played with an elite playmaking center like Eichel. I wondered if they could co-exist on the same line with only one puck to go around. The chemistry was instant. I haven't seen two players with that kind of speed and skill complement each other at that level since Lafontaine and Mogilny. It's only going to get better.
Yes this so much. Can’t wait for these two when they are 40 games in. Only thing is Pommer won’t be able to keep up once these two start feeding on each other.

If Pommer stays a net front presence then I see him cashing in frequent, but I can see him losing more chancing than cashing in on. If only he was 10 years younger

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Yes this so much. Can’t wait for these two when they are 40 games in. Only thing is Pommer won’t be able to keep up once these two start feeding on each other.

If Pommer stays a net front presence then I see him cashing in frequent, but I can see him losing more chancing than cashing in on. If only he was 10 years younger

Right about the time poms falls off we replace his net front presence with Reinhart jack's BFF and Olofsson slides into reinhart's middle six winger role...win win win

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Those numbers are fair. I hope you’re right.

We’ll see in a few short months ...

I just think he’ll demand and get 6-7 years at 8.5-9.5 mil/year.

At this point in the season, I’m against those bloated numbers.
6x8.5 is acceptable probably. 7x8.5 is rough as that additional last year would be a pure stinker.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Best pure scoring winger since Vanek IMO. But lets remember it's a two way street. He has to want to sign here.
Damning him with faint praise.

I don't know what sort of place that Skinner wants to live in...maybe he wants the beach, or the bright lights. He can live like a king in BUF, though, and he might never find a linemate as good again if he moves to another team.

And Eichel is pretty good, too...

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
What if he doesn’t want to sign here? The Sabres could be in a bad situation come the deadline.

In the playoff picture and you trade him, the fanbase may revolt.....or lose him for nothing?

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
What if he doesn’t want to sign here? The Sabres could be in a bad situation come the deadline.

In the playoff picture and you trade him, the fanbase may revolt.....or lose him for nothing?
If he is hell bent on leaving and we have to trade him, i think fans will see the situation for what it is - a star player leveraging his production to go to another team, abandoning his current right before playoffs - and turn on Skinman. If we trade him for nothing, then shame on botterill. The good news is that we spent so little, we could really turn Skinner into some serious assets for the team. We would definitely miss his ability to finish though...

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
If he is hell bent on leaving and we have to trade him, i think fans will see the situation for what it is - a star player leveraging his production to go to another team, abandoning his current right before playoffs - and turn on Skinman. If we trade him for nothing, then shame on botterill. The good news is that we spent so little, we could really turn Skinner into some serious assets for the team. We would definitely miss his ability to finish though...

Maybe so but that is easy to say now.

How would that play in the locker room? Not very well I would imagine.....and I think the fanbase would flip out.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Maybe so but that is easy to say now.

How would that play in the locker room? Not very well I would imagine.....and I think the fanbase would flip out.
The fanbase is going to flip no matter what happens:
1) If we sign skinner, the fan base will flip out because we paid too much
2) if we trade skinner, the fan base will flip out because there goes our goal scoring and he wasn't in it to win! He just wanted his payday!
3) if he walks, botterill did nothing and now we lost our goal scorer to another team for nothing. Fire Botts!

As for the locker room, i don't know how that would affect the team. I am sure it wouldn't help, but i certainly hope it wouldn't be a detriment. If it is then the mental fragility of our players cannot be overstated.

The flipside to all of this and what i am personally counting on is that Skinner looks like he is having fun out there with Eichel. I am hoping that between personal success and team success, Skinner will stay if the Sabres open up the purse.

Edit - our fanbase isn't that reactionary as a whole, but the vocal minority has a way of sounding like an angry majority mob. Take my statement with a grain of salt.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Skinner isn't going anywhere...why would he? He waived to come here, he wants to be here, he's doing well here and we want him here. He'll be signed long-term. Nothing else makes any kind of sense for the player or the team.

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad