Player Discussion Jeff Skinner

Do you approve of Skinner for Pu, 2019 2, 2020 3 & 6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Jeff Skinner is making the most of his contract year in Buffalo - TheHockeyNews

Hearing the WGR interview with Botterill yesterday has me worried that the Sabres are going to let the Skinner contract situation drag on a la how Kane was handled.....and I don't understand the hesitation to at least have some preliminary, exploratory talks to gauge how things are going from Skinner's and his agent's perspective. He clearly wanted to come to Buffalo because of Eichel and the team's potential. Skinner was great in the preseason and even after Housley's panic move halfway through Game 1 to switch him from Eichel's line (which worked well in the preseason) to one with Berglund, he still was generating scoring opportunities and one of the better forecheckers on the team. He's finally been rewarded with the stats - and while Eichel/Pominville have helped, I'd argue that Skinner has equally helped his own cause through his work ethic, skating and relentless puck pursuit. From the various accounts in interviews with his teammates and Housley, Skinner has been nothing but a positive force and influence - even Botterill mentioned it in the WGR interview about how he's inspired a greater tenacity amongst his teammates. Rob Ray raved about his focus, intensity and competitiveness. Maybe the sample size of 10 games plus camp is small but has there been any question marks surrounding Skinner thus far? Even his bad-rap for being defensively-lax seems overblown, given his possession stats and leading the team in +/-.

If you add all those to his obvious offensive talents and tremendous skating abilities, why are the Sabres even deliberating or posturing about this? With Kane, the wait-and-see approach was somewhat understandable given his off-ice issues (which likely alienated ownership) and injury history. With Skinner, I don't see any such reasons to even contemplate him as anything but a part of the team's core moving forward. He's still young at 26, clearly well-liked and a good role model for the young players. Sure, both Skinner and Botterill said after the trade that they wanted to feel each other out to see how things go but I seriously hope that by Thanksgiving, we start hearing of contract discussions taking place. If no extension is in place by the end of January, it will appear that the Sabres are again ready to sell off proven, established talent for assets and - with Botterill's track record on the Kane & O'Reilly trades - likely get pennies on the dollar in return.
No correlation the Kane, who I believe the Pegulas forbid Botterill from extending.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
If they want to keep him, they will keep him and the cost will be the same whether they sign him tomorrow or after the season.

I don't think that's necessarily true - if an extension is signed early on as a show of good faith and commitment, it won't be the same monetary value as if they wait til the trade deadline and he may be sitting at 25-30 goals at the time. Sure, Skinner and his agent will want to delay it a little but if the Sabres have a decent first half, showing progress and growth and Skinner is an integral part of it while enjoying playing with Eichel and the rest, it seems he'd be on board with talking extension.

The sabres have been terrible for many years and Skinner has been on terrible teams his entire career. The guy has never sniffed the playoffs. You give him the playoffs this year and I think signing him will be an easy task. If the bottom falls out, who would blame him for wanting to sign with a perennial playoff team that is looking for that final piece?

Yes - but that was the case before the trade happened yet Skinner agreed to waive his NTC to come to Buffalo. He knew he wasn't joining an immediate Cup contender and that the team was young and trying to improve, which he said was what interested him in being part of that growth. He specifically cited the young talent like Eichel, Dahlin and Reinhart as an incentive - it's hard to think he's so naïve to think they're going to contend this year amongst the elite. He seemed willing to grow with the team rather than step into an established winning roster - otherwise, he would have never waived the NTC or accepted the trade.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Just a small doomsday scenario. Skinner has a NMC, so he could not only refused to sign in BUF, but he could also severely limit the return Botterill would get if he is picky about where he goes at the deadline. So there's that.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Even his bad-rap for being defensively-lax seems overblown, given his possession stats and leading the team in +/-.
I've been preaching this to my friends and everyone for years now. I am glad more people are realizing a good offense can cover for a bad defense by having possesion of the puck majority of the time.

I tell everyone that when people ask how Pittsburgh won 3 cups with their defense.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I don’t care if they sign him now or wait until they can give the 8th year (though I’ll probably be sweating bullets if they wait that long). As long as they get this guys signed, I am good.

They can not let Skinner get away though. They need to sign him. It’s notmoften we get players like him. I want to enjoy him in buffalo for years to come!

Reactions: Dahlin 2 Eichel

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Everyone said he was horrific defensively but who cares when he's always in the o zone? And when he is in the D zone he hustles a lot even if it's not his game

Last edited:
Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I don’t care if they sign him now or wait until they can give the 8th year (though I’ll probably be sweating bullets if they wait that long). As long as they get this guys signed, I am good.

They can not let Skinner get away though. They need to sign him. It’s notmoften we get players like him. I want to enjoy him in buffalo for years to come!
It looks like hes enjoying life here too at least on the ice. I am quite optimistic he signs here and we sure need him to as the next best winger on the team (Reinhart) isnt eeven close in quality and the gap after Reinhart is equally bad...

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I think we need to sign him too. Would you go 7x8?

I would gladly give him 8 mil or 8 years. I do not think he is eligible for an 8 year extension, is it not the same scenario as RoR where the longest we could go is 7 years? I would love to see that answered.

Eichel and Skinner are giving me memories of Briere and Drury.

ValJames

Jun 9, 2015
NC
Best pure scoring winger since Vanek IMO. But lets remember it's a two way street. He has to want to sign here.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I would gladly give him 8 mil or 8 years. I do not think he is eligible for an 8 year extension, is it not the same scenario as RoR where the longest we could go is 7 years? I would love to see that answered.

Eichel and Skinner are giving me memories of Briere and Drury.
Dont think this is needed. 7.5x7 should do the deal with both sides equally happy about it. Last 2 years may be tough at some point but for 5 years of that deal he will be essential part of the team.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I absolutely love this guy’s passion and competitive nature. We haven’t had too many guys over the years that show as much passion and fire as Skinner does. He’s an elite skater and has great hands, but the fact that he is so relentless makes him a guy we must sign for me.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Dont think this is needed. 7.5x7 should do the deal with both sides equally happy about it. Last 2 years may be tough at some point but for 5 years of that deal he will be essential part of the team.

Those numbers are fair. I hope you’re right.

We’ll see in a few short months ...

I just think he’ll demand and get 6-7 years at 8.5-9.5 mil/year.

At this point in the season, I’m against those bloated numbers.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Even the penalty he committed in the first was a great play. Canadian breaking in alone...Skinner came out of nowhere.
Not to be a grammar Nazi, but the first time I read your post I was wondering why the player's nationality makes a difference. Are Canadians just assumed to be good at breakaways? :sarcasm:

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
Give him 8-9 mill a year for 6-7 years. You can trade him for some great pieces in about 4 years after he pots 40-50 goals per year. His play may start to slip by then, but some team will want one of the best goal scorers in the league if he keeps playing at this level for years on Eichel's wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad