News: Jeff Skinner waives NMC for expansion draft

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Risto has said it the past three years. I’ll be surprised if he’s not starting the year in Buffalo.

So like I stated earlier, you aren't keeping 1 year of Risto, for multiple years of another player. It's not like the Sabres will be competing next year anyways, and clearly there isn't much trade value out there.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
With his contract he's probably gonna be in Buffalo for a while so this allows the Sabres to, theoretically, keep a better player for him to play with in the coming years.

Reactions: Jacob582

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
I know the chances of this are slim to none but what players can Seattle pick that have the pedigree of Skinner? A player with the ability to score goals north of 20-30. Maybe Drouin, Zucker or a player from Tampa?

The other factor being Botts as their AGM. Maybe he takes Skinner at 7 or 8 mil in Seattle.

Would you retain 1-2 mil to get Skinner off the team via expansion?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Risto said he doesn't want to be here. One year of Risto isn't worth losing Borgen over.

Risto can be traded for assets instead of given away for free, though. What we can get for Risto in a trade very likely is more valuable than Borgen. I like the guy, but he's probably nothing more than an average 3rd pairing D going forward.

Remember how the Sabres board was super worried about exposing Carrier last time around and he turned out to be a bottom of the roster/nothing special NHLer? This is the same thing all over again.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I know the chances of this are slim to none but what players can Seattle pick that have the pedigree of Skinner? A player with the ability to score goals north of 20-30. Maybe Drouin, Zucker or a player from Tampa?

The other factor being Botts as their AGM. Maybe he takes Skinner at 7 or 8 mil in Seattle.

Would you retain 1-2 mil to get Skinner off the team via expansion?

You can't retain money by having a team draft him in expansion draft. They would have to do a trade. And I can't see any team wanting to have to retain 1 to 2 million for 6 years

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
What if a side agreement is reached where Seattle takes a 6 million dollar guy that isn't producing, trades that guy to Buffalo for future considerations and agrees to select Skinner?
Seattle should trade for Kyle Okposo, and then trade him back to Buffalo for Jeff Skinner?

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Just musing; What it Seattle took guys like this if the team offers a sweetener and than flip them to another team at 50% retained for even move sweetener? Could net them some really nice futures via cap space and retention slots that most expansion teams don't really need for the first few years.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Not sure there are many things worse than Jeff Skinner's eight-year, $72 million contract but I think that herpes is one of them. And like herpes, no one is going near that for any reason unless you're a medical professional.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
His agent either reached out and got assurances Seattle won't take him, or he wants to go and Buffalo are giving them significant value to eat that deal.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Dont mind Skinner at all. Yea hes overpaid, but Ralph destroyed him the last 2 years. Hes been positive about it the entire time. Hopefully he gets some meaningful minutes and can get back to a 30-20 or 30-30 guy with a top 6 role. Hes still talented

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad