News: Jeff Skinner waives NMC for expansion draft

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Team players don't take insane contracts they can't live up to and screw the team's entire salary mass structure.

There's team player, and there's dumb. If a team is going to willingly offer you a franchise killing contract, it's not your fault if you take it. That money will do far more for you when you're 57, than any win will do when you're 30.

Blame the Sabres for that putrid contract. They were desperate and dumb, coming off the Okposo disaster, and O'Reilly debacle. If Skinner wanted to stay in the area, and the only other possibility is a Leafs team that can't give him any money, why are you offering so much? Probably because other teams were in the mix, but then you call his bluff.

Skinner may be at fault for other things, but the money is all on Buffalo.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
There's team player, and there's dumb. If a team is going to willingly offer you a franchise killing contract, it's not your fault if you take it. That money will do far more for you when you're 57, than any win will do when you're 30.

Blame the Sabres for that putrid contract. They were desperate and dumb, coming off the Okposo disaster, and O'Reilly debacle. If Skinner wanted to stay in the area, and the only other possibility is a Leafs team that can't give him any money, why are you offering so much? Probably because other teams were in the mix, but then you call his bluff.

Specifically that bumbling blow hard who is now the Kraken AGM

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

The ownership bid against itself. Laughable incompetence. $72 M over eight years? The Sabres believed someone else was out there with $10 M x seven years. Even at the time the extra year should have meant $8 M tops for Skinner because that's $64 M. No other team would have offered that much over 7 at a $9 M cap. Pegulas are too smart to hire proper management.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
There's team player, and there's dumb. If a team is going to willingly offer you a franchise killing contract, it's not your fault if you take it.

Don't really know what you even mean when you say "it's not his fault if he signed it". Like, did they have a gun to his head? He signed it. So did they. They are both responsible parties and he isn't living up to his end of the bargain at all.

That money will do far more for you when you're 57, than any win will do when you're 30.

If you think your bank account matters more when you are in your 50s than your accomplishments and life's work when you were younger, that might be your own deficit. I'm not yet 57 but I'm thinking about my accomplishments, my family, my friends. At this point I could probably semi-retire and live exactly the life I want but I work because I like it, not because I need to.

An extra 30% income isn't what really matters, unless you are at the low end of the ladder and struggling to pay the bills.

Like, having money is nice and everything. There's a huge difference between having 50k in your account and having 1M. But having 60 millions in the bank instead of 90M is probably not the main factor that will determine your happiness in life. Skinner could probably be a happier player right now if he had signed a shorter contract at around 6M. And he'd still retire with more money than any person needs.

Ementy

May 11, 2010
6 seasons at 9mil? WOOF.. I knew it was a bad contract, but I had no idea it was that bad.
HF when the Skinner contract was signed: "Looks good and fair to me"

HF when Draisaitl contract signed: "OMG HES RUINING ALL FUTURE CONTRACTS, what a gross rip off over pay"

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
One of the worst contracts handed out ever. I'm sure many were saying it was fair and good value at the time. Sad.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
This is like the government declaring they're making food free for all citizens, but the only food that qualifies are rocks.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
What if a side agreement is reached where Seattle takes a 6 million dollar guy that isn't producing, trades that guy to Buffalo for future considerations and agrees to select Skinner?

Reactions: Davenport

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad