Player Discussion Jeff Skinner - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Here's the $8M question. The NHL trade deadline is February 25th at 3pm. That leaves the Sabres roughly 6 and a half weeks to sign Skinner to an extension. If the Sabres appear to be out of playoff contention by then do they trade him for assets? Can the Sabres have a verbal agreement to sign Skinner in the off season?

I fully expect the Sabres to be in contention and sign Skinner to a long-term extension. However, what if there are snags in contract negotiations? The longer this plays out the better for Skinner. Are we willing to sign Skinner to a $9M+/year deal? Can Skinner make more in free agency? Is Skinner willing to take a "hometown" discount to play with Jack Eichel? Does Skinner value money over team success?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Skinner is going to be a 30 goal scorer before he even plays 50 games. He has not had a prolonged slump the entire year, he has been a consistent elite goal scorer.

Jeff Skinner at his current level is good enough to be the 2nd best forward on a cup contender (3rd would be even better :snide:)

Obviously an extension is coming post TDL so max term.

8 years x 8

Probably not enough if he puts up 50+ goals and ppg+.

At the very most he gets 9 and that is if he finishes or is on pace for 55 goals and 85+ points at time of extension, though I believe a fair deal for both parties will end up in the 8.25-8.75 range.

Give him a NMC the first 4 years of the deal. That takes him until his age 31 season as being secured in Buffalo. Re-signing him makes or breaks Botts tenure here. He is our best pure goal scorer since Vanek and before him Satan. I think he can hit 50 this season, even on the last game of the season. Hopefully it comes after we secure a playoff spot.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Here's the $8M question. The NHL trade deadline is February 25th at 3pm. That leaves the Sabres roughly 6 and a half weeks to sign Skinner to an extension. If the Sabres appear to be out of playoff contention by then do they trade him for assets? Can the Sabres have a verbal agreement to sign Skinner in the off season?

I fully expect the Sabres to be in contention and sign Skinner to a long-term extension. However, what if there are snags in contract negotiations? The longer this plays out the better for Skinner. Are we willing to sign Skinner to a $9M+/year deal? Can Skinner make more in free agency? Is Skinner willing to take a "hometown" discount to play with Jack Eichel? Does Skinner value money over team success?

kinda like asking your girlfriend to marry for the inheritance or the divorce.... better to work it out in house instead of scheming... who would trade a first with you in the future if he did come back..

Last edited:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018

The question to ask... Is another top five center and emeging top 5 defensive core .. knocking down his door to win and make him a star?
I imagine this will work out just fine for us and Jeffrey if you want him to sign long term ... hopefully its 7 years or less..

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
kinda like asking your girlfriend to marry for the inheritance or the divorce.... better to work it out in house instead of scheming... who would trade a first with you in the future if he did come back..

I think most teams would realize that Skinner is a pure rental. Most contending teams couldn't fit him within their cap structure. However, I agree with you that the risk of not signing him is not worth it.

These contract negotiations usually involve looking at comparable players and the dollar amount is based on % of cap. Based on past signings I think Claude Giroux is a comparable player. He signed his current deal at the age of 25 starting in the 2014-15 season. He signed an 8-year $66.2M ($8.275M AAV). At the time of the signing his cap hit % was 12.87%.

I like what Toronto did with the Nylander contract. They front-loaded his contract the first year. Nylander signed a 6-year deal $45M ($7.5M AAV). The first year Nylander makes $10.2M, but the subsequent 5 years he makes $6.9M/year. Sabres can do something like this since Moulson and Pominville will be off the books. This would give the Sabres flexibility to sign Dahlin, Reinhart, Mittelstadt and Thompson 2-3 years down the road.

If he signs before the trade deadline then we can only sign him for 7 years. However, Skinner might accept that since he would only be 33 when he signs his next contract. The NHL cap next year is expected to go up to $83M by next year. NHL projects $83M salary cap for 2019-20 season - Sportsnet.ca

If Giroux's contract is a comparable then Skinner's deal could hit $9M+/year AAV. (12.87% of $79.5M NHL cap upper limit is $10.23M). Eichel's contract is looking better every year. If we sign Skinner at $9M/ year it might look like a steal too.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Skinner ranked 6th best UFA according to Sportsnet. NHL's Top 12 UFAs of 2019: Latest rumours, reports - Sportsnet.ca

[img class='team-logo' src='https://images.rogersdigitalmedia.com/www.sportsnet.ca/team_logos/200x200/hockey/nhl/buffalo-sabres.png'>
Jeff
Skinner
Left Wing
Toronto, ON

gp
g
a
+/-
sog
s%

Full Profile
">Jeff Skinner
Age on July 1: 27
Position: Left wing
2018-19 salary cap hit: $5.725 million
Bargaining chips: Calder winner. On pace for fourth 30-goal and third 60-point season. Enjoying the most productive campaign of his career. Quick chemistry with franchise centre Jack Eichel.
The latest: While there appears to be little financial incentive for Skinner to sign soon — his stock is only rising — Sabres GM Jason Botterill and agent Don Meehan are reportedly set to meet this month.
Buffalo finds itself in a playoff race for the first time in years, thanks in part because the Skinner trade has worked out so well, and would be wise to keep Skinner in the fold. The winger has noted that he enjoys being closer to home; Toronto is a two-hour highway cruise away.
The player, however, has endured eight NHL seasons in Carolina without skating in a single post-season game. Getting to July 1 means Skinner has a say in where he wants to win.
Flipping Skinner before Feb. 25 would infuriate Sabres fans and devastate the dressing room. We see this one playing out in the off-season.
“We’re happy with how he’s progressed,” Botterill told the Buffalo News on Dec. 19. “We’ve stayed in touch with his agents. We haven’t decided to talk about contracts because it’s working now. There will be plenty of time down the road to do that.”

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
I think most teams would realize that Skinner is a pure rental. Most contending teams couldn't fit him within their cap structure. However, I agree with you that the risk of not signing him is not worth it.

These contract negotiations usually involve looking at comparable players and the dollar amount is based on % of cap. Based on past signings I think Claude Giroux is a comparable player. He signed his current deal at the age of 25 starting in the 2014-15 season. He signed an 8-year $66.2M ($8.275M AAV). At the time of the signing his cap hit % was 12.87%.

I like what Toronto did with the Nylander contract. They front-loaded his contract the first year. Nylander signed a 6-year deal $45M ($7.5M AAV). The first year Nylander makes $10.2M, but the subsequent 5 years he makes $6.9M/year. Sabres can do something like this since Moulson and Pominville will be off the books. This would give the Sabres flexibility to sign Dahlin, Reinhart, Mittelstadt and Thompson 2-3 years down the road.

If he signs before the trade deadline then we can only sign him for 7 years. However, Skinner might accept that since he would only be 33 when he signs his next contract. The NHL cap next year is expected to go up to $83M by next year. NHL projects $83M salary cap for 2019-20 season - Sportsnet.ca

If Giroux's contract is a comparable then Skinner's deal could hit $9M+/year AAV. (12.87% of $79.5M NHL cap upper limit is $10.23M). Eichel's contract is looking better every year. If we sign Skinner at $9M/ year it might look like a steal too.
the money owners and players bleed us for , makes me ill , as i will only by bleeds unless its a gift .. that said .. front load lowers risk and ups trade value into 30s sign us up..

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If Skinner is only considered the 6th best ufa that bodes well for us. It must be common knowledge he only wants to play here or in Toronto. Having #53 skating on Jacks wing the next 8 years is salivating.

He just has it all. Elite skating (arguably best overall skater in league. Not absolute fastest but edge work, acceleration, speed etc def top 5). Elite shot. His shot is underrated. Some of his snipes are otherworldly and make you wonder how it went in. He has chemistry with our superstar center you can only dream of, and he is an elite 5v5 scorer.

Oh and he waiver a NMC to come here. That loyalty means something. Repay his faith in us and give him a nice extension. 8.5 or below would be fantastic. If we can get Jack, Jeff and Sam signed for 24 mil or less combined that would he awesome.

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
In my dreams they trade him for a haul, and resign him as an UFA. That's the sort of break that would really help equalize with Toronto.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Is this Pegulas son? If he is posting this kind of stuff you have to think its a foregone conclusion Jeff is here to stay.

Not even 46 games in and we have a 30 goal scorer. I would be shocked if Skinner does not get 45-50 this year.

Pretty sure it is a satire account name from a Buffalo sports fan looking through their posts.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm concerned that Skinner might decline to negotiate until the opening of free agency if the Sabres keep losing.

I will laugh if this is another case of Botts setting timeline/deadline biting him in the ass which will impact the value of Skinner at the TDL. He’s going to once again come to the TDL and settle for a trade value much lower than he probably is worth because he waited too long, which will surely include a conditional 1st round pick as the main piece.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Is this Pegulas son? If he is posting this kind of stuff you have to think its a foregone conclusion Jeff is here to stay.

Not even 46 games in and we have a 30 goal scorer. I would be shocked if Skinner does not get 45-50 this year.

This is a parody account for their dog.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I will laugh if this is another case of Botts setting timeline/deadline biting him in the ass which will impact the value of Skinner at the TDL. He’s going to once again come to the TDL and settle for a trade value much lower than he probably is worth because he waited too long, which will surely include a conditional 1st round pick as the main piece.
He likes too shoot early in summer tough.
At least he didnt put out any laughing stock asking price like last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad