Rumor: Jeff Skinner has blocked multiple trades

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Makes sense this season will determine how much he gets paid for the next 6+ years. Has to be an ideal situation for him to consider moving

Reactions: remote

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'd just like to say you're welcome to the other teams in the league for singlehandedly creating excitement for the NHL. Canes win lottery, make a huge hockey trade, say that all our players would be considered for deals, and consider moving both Faulk and Skinner. Without us, the draft would be as exciting as Bill Peters hockey.

Durden Tyler

Dec 19, 2017
with the next expension draft comming soon, You don't want to give thoses like candy unless you are sure he's part of the core of your team

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This makes 0 sense Skinner is 26, you can't have a NTC or NMC until you are 27, so if Carolina wants to trade him then they should be able to. All I can see is Skinner won't negotiate a new contract with a given team which might cause them to lose interest

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
This makes 0 sense Skinner is 26, you can't have a NTC or NMC until you are 27, so if Carolina wants to trade him then they should be able to. All I can see is Skinner won't negotiate a new contract with a given team which might cause them to lose interest
I would suggest reading the thread, it’s 7 years or 27 years old. So he does have a full NMC

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Hate when these things leak. Players earn and sign no move and no trade agreements. They deserve to have privacy alongside. Like when Phaneuf(?) didn't want to go to Vegas. Never should have come out that he was asked.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure why Skinner or his agent would block a trade anywhere.....it's obvious Carolina wants to move on from him....could be he wants to avoid a Canadian market for tax and privacy reasons. But when a team clearly doesn't want you, why would any player want to stay?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This assumes that 1 year of Skinner holds no value to the Canes. If other GMs look take advantage of Waddell because of Skinner's NMC to the tune of a lowball, Carolina, a team not rebuilding, has the option of letting him play out his contract. There's value in that; he helps the team be more competitive next season.

Relevant tweet:

What did you want him to say? Lol.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Carolina is saying he hasn’t been asked to waive it. So IDK!

Well, he is entering the final year of his contract. So, maybe he's only willing to waive to a team where he can agree to terms on a new contract. Most NHLers who are in the top 2 lines or 2 pairs on D, prefer not to move around a lot. So, if Skinner is done in Carolina, then I can understand him being selective about where he gets traded to, since he has a full NMC.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
What does his trade value matter to him?

I would assume it might be more of a case where he makes it known he wouldn't be willing to extend with that team.

Players are eligible for NTCs and NMCs at age 27 or 7 years NHL service, this past season was Skinner's 8th in the NHL.
I dont know how much players think about this stuff but the less a team have to give up for you the more talent they keep.
If you wanna win it might be smart saying you arent willing to sign there now and lower your value.
Karlsson for example, lets say he wanna play for Tampa and he isnt willing to sign a new deal with any team now other than them. Just say no to signing with any team (including Tampa), lower your trade value as he would basically be a one year rental and sign in Tampa as an UFA or Tampa trade for him as a one year rental and sign him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I dont know how much players think about this stuff but the less a team have to give up for you the more talent they keep.
If you wanna win it might be smart saying you arent willing to sign there now and lower your value.
Karlsson for example, lets say he wanna play for Tampa and he isnt willing to sign a new deal with any team now other than them. Just say no to signing with any team (including Tampa), lower your trade value as he would basically be a one year rental and sign in Tampa as an UFA or Tampa trade for him as a one year rental and sign him.

Karlsson has a 10 team NTC, whereas Skinner has a full NMC. But, in essence, due to his status of being an elite Dman and the expected return for Ott, EK would basically have to be dealt to a team that he would want to sign with. Doesn't do a team any good to get him for 1 year, ala the Kings with Lucic, which cost Lombardi his job.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Jim Rutherford has reportedly zoned in on Skinner as his main trade target for this summer. I've seen Sheary+Sprong rumored as the base of the Pens' potential offer, although I imagine there would be more included.
CAR shouldn't be taking little pieces for Skinner. It should be a major player who can score at a similar rate. CAR should add to get what they need, if necessary.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad