Value of: Jeff Skinner for 1C...

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If you mean "more value to the Oilers", then I'd agree.

I'd say league wide actually. RNH plays a more important position. One less point in 20 less games. Historically their point totals have been close. RNH more in some years (56 twice), Skinner more in others (63 twice!).

I would also like to go on record saying I am glad Skinner is healthy and seems to have put those concussion issues behind him.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Cmon man. Everyone knows he’s been put next to Mcdavid, which has impacted his offense. As a winger, not a center. If you’re permanently expecting bigger production from him now, and because he’ll be in that spot you can’t hype his “greater value as a center”.

This league always values goals more than assists or total points. This is RNH’s second season in his career hitting 24. Skinner hit 24 this year in a bad season, has hit 30 three times including 37 last year. He’s 25.

Maybe centers are more valuable but nuge isn’t considered a big scoring center right now and isn’t playing center anyways.

The value is pretty much dead on, with gm’s leaning one way or another depending on what they need. A scoring winger or a number 2 center who can score more if he’s playing on the wing of the best player in the game. I personally wouldn’t do it, nuge doesn’t help the canes enough to justify moving Skinner. I’m sure many Oilers fans would say the same in reverse.

Skinner scored 37 playing with Derek Ryan....

Ps. Only 7 were on the pp.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I pointed to the disparity of ice time in situations they are likely to score. You can’t ignore the massive disparity in ice-Tim on the powerplay. It’s not like Komarov or Brown are strong offensive players and that is who Kadri spent most of his time with at 5v5 when he got 61 last year.

He was also on a much better team. If you just want to go off of points for the last 2 years, then there comparable. But anyone that watches those two play and has a lick of sense, knows O'Reilly is the vast superior player. If he were on the Leafs, there is no chance in hell you'd trade him for Kadri.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He was also on a much better team. If you just want to go off of points for the last 2 years, then there comparable. But anyone that watches those two play and has a lick of sense, knows O'Reilly is the vast superior player. If he were on the Leafs, there is no chance in hell you'd trade him for Kadri.
No, you are just being a complete homer on O'Reilly. They are absolutely comparable players at this point. O'Reilly isn't the vastly superior player and neither player is a legitimate number 1 center. You point to linemates, then ignore that Kadri had a career year playing with sub-par offensive players. You ignore O'Reilly gets more ice-time on the PP with a player you think is comparable to Matthews (which Kadri doesn't as Matthews is on the other unit). Kadri is significantly more efficient on the PP and at Even Strength. O'Reilly gets credit for being a PKer, but again, that is more ice-time to put up more points. You seem to think a wide gap exists when there isn't one. Is O'reilly the better player? Maybe, but he isn't in another tier.

You seem to think a bunch of the Sabres top players are comaprable to their Leaf counterparts such as Reinhart to Marner, Eichel to Matthews, Risto to Rielly, etc. It isn't just depth as to why we are the better team. O'Reilly plays just as much with Reinhart as Kadri does with Marner. He plays as tough or tougher minutes at 5v5.

There's no chance in hell I'd trade Kadri for O'Reilly, but that has to do the fact Kadri is under paid for what he does.

Last edited:

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
No, you are just being a complete homer on O'Reilly. They are absolutely comparable players at this point. O'Reilly isn't the vastly superior player and neither player is a legitimate number 1 center. You point to linemates, then ignore that Kadri had a career year playing with sub-par offensive players. You ignore O'Reilly gets more ice-time on the PP with a player you think is comparable to Matthews (which Kadri doesn't as Matthews is on the other unit). Kadri is significantly more efficient on the PP and at Even Strength. O'Reilly gets credit for being a PKer, but again, that is more ice-time to put up more points. You seem to think a wide gap exists when there isn't one. Is O'reilly the better player? Maybe, but he isn't in another tier.

Yeah, I'm the one being a homer lmao. Kadri has had two comparable years to O'Reilly, after the team around him got much much better. The PK doesn't produce points, it just tires him out more. There 5vs5 is a one minute difference and he's had a minute more PP time, which he produced heavily this year. Which is the only year he's done that in all of his 55-60 point seasons. I still stand by what I said. If they switched roles right now, not only would Toronto have a guy that can take more minutes, play the PK, play selke type defence, and produce as least as much offensively with a better line on a better team. I'm done highjacking this thread.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, I'm the one being a homer lmao. Kadri has had two comparable years to O'Reilly, after the team around him got much much better. The PK doesn't produce points, it just tires him out more. There 5vs5 is a one minute difference and he's had a minute more PP time, which he produced heavily this year. Which is the only year he's done that in all of his 55-60 point seasons. I still stand by what I said. If they switched roles right now, not only would Toronto have a guy that can take more minutes, play the PK, play selke type defence, and produce as least as much offensively with a better line on a better team. I'm done highjacking this thread.
Babcock doesn't play top players on the PK. Its unlikely O'Reilly would get significant minutes in that role. And one minute of PP is massive in regards to production, and this year its a minute and 30 secords. Kadri per 60 blow O'Reilly's out the water at 5v5 and on the PP.

How was Kadri's line of Brown and Komarov (the year he got 60 points) better than O'Reilly linemates? If there is a gap it isn't a sizable one.

You are being a homer considering you've also claimed this week Reinhart is equal to Marner, Risto is equal to Reilly and having ROR as significantly better. Toronto isn't better just because of depth, its also because key players of ours are better than your teams key player equivalents.

Last edited:

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
That would be like having 2 Jordan Staals on the team. It wouldn't make sense from a roster building standpoint.

We'd have a hell of a PK, though.
You guys don’t have enough depth up front for that. ROR - Staal is not a bad 1-2 punch at all, it’s only bad if you don’t have high producing wingers.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Rask, Kruger, Fleury, Darling for Toews

Under new coach, system, fresh start and good offensive wingers, Toews bounces back.

Aho-Toews-Teravainen
Skinner-J.Staal-Williams
Zykov-Lindholm-Stempniak
PDG-Ryan-Nordstrom

Slavin-Pesce
Hanifin-Faulk
Dahlbeck-TVR

FA/trade goalie
Ward

--

Saad-Schmaltz-Kane
Debrincat-Rask-Duclair
Sikura-Anisimov-Hinostroza
Hayden-Kruger-Kampf

Keith-Murphy
Fleury-Rutta
Forsling-Seabrook

Darling
Forsberg

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
One is being centred by McJesus and the other by Derek Ryan.

Wonder which one scores more.
He played 19% of his EV minutes with McDavid. His most common linemates were Lucic, Maroon, Cammaleri, and Puljujarvi. And he played on the 2nd PP unit.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
And Skinner scored 37 last year, also with Ryan, with only 7 on the pp. Skinner had an off year, and Nuge finishes strong with the leading scorer in the league and they had the same goals. One of these is not like the other no matter how you try frame it, in terms of goal scoring. Nuge can bring more to the table overall as a center but he’s scoring with Mcdavid. So if you’re counting his scoring you’re not really counting his center playing ability.

Nuge is not the same goal scorer as Skinner. Skinner would crush it playing with Mcdavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad