Value of: Jeff Skinner for 1C...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You mean the last 2 years since Mathews, and a much much better team around him and Babcock coaching? While O'Reilly's been on a crap team with bad linemates and crap coaching? Of course O'Reilly has to rely on PP production. He's had wingers like Ennis, Foligno, Okoposo and a plethora of crap on his wing the last 2 seasons. Still while given the hardest defensive matchups. I do not believe that if Kadri took O'Reilly's role in Buffalo, he'd have anywhere near the success he's enjoying now. I stand by what I said. O'Reilly 70 point center, Kadri 50 point center if they switched right now
No chance O'Rielly becomes a 70 point player playing as few minutes as Kadri does. Here is their ice-time at ES and on the PP the last 2 years. Kadri's primary wingers the last 2 years have been a rotation of Marleau, Brown, Komarov and Marner. Kadri takes the Leafs toughest defensive match-ups and zone-starts. He also has significant minutes with Reinhart, who you have claimed is equal to Marner elsewhere. No player in the league got over 70 points playing less than 17 minutes a game, I don't know why you would think someone who only gets 60 points playing significantly more minutes would do that. The highest point total over the last 2 years of players who play less than 17 minutes a game are JVR at 15:52 in 2016/17, the highest for a full-time center in 2016/17 was Kadri at 16:35. In 2017/18 it was Patrick Laine with 16:28 and the highest center was Kadri again. So, I highly doubt ROR would be a 70 point player getting Kadri's usage, considering Laine is the only one to hit 70 and he plays 55 seconds a game more on the PP than Kadri.

Kadri
2016/17 ES: 14:22
2016/17 PP: 2:11
2017/18 ES: 15:40
2017/18 PP: 3:36

O'Rielly
2016/17 ES: 16:14
2016/17 PP: 2:54
2017/18 ES: 14:40
2017/18 PP: 2:05

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Defence > wing

Some real salty Canes fans on these boards

Ugh fine... If you insist. P. Kane for Trevor van Riemsdyk.

Haha in all seriousness, I know you meant "ceteris paribus defence>wing"

But for now, all else is not equal between Hanifin and Aho. Aho has s showed flashes of brilliance and potential of good 2C/Low end 1C.
Hanifin's main claim is his draft position but hasn't shown as much tangible potential as Aho has.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

But for now, all else is not equal between Hanifin and Aho. Aho has s showed flashes of brilliance and potential of good 2C/Low end 1C.
Hanifin's main claim is his draft position but hasn't shown as much tangible potential as Aho has.
Carolina had a 1C before in E staal. So, what would they have ever traded a 20 something staal for?

Not skinner.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

I'm not saying Aho isn't the better player but the premium on D has been huge in recent years that's the only reason I think Hanifin has a better shot at returning a 1C. If Aho can play center and that'll fix the issue, great hope it works, but if he's a winger I don't see any team giving up a 1C for him unless he's considerably older and/or a worse player overall

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
No chance O'Rielly becomes a 70 point player playing as few minutes as Kadri does. Here is their ice-time at ES and on the PP the last 2 years. Kadri's primary wingers the last 2 years have been a rotation of Marleau, Brown, Komarov and Marner. Kadri takes the Leafs toughest defensive match-ups and zone-starts. He also has significant minutes with Reinhart, who you have claimed is equal to Marner elsewhere. No player in the league got over 70 points playing less than 17 minutes a game, I don't know why you would think someone who only gets 60 points playing significantly more minutes would do that. The highest point total over the last 2 years of players who play less than 17 minutes a game are JVR at 15:52 in 2016/17, the highest for a full-time center in 2016/17 was Kadri at 16:35. In 2017/18 it was Patrick Laine with 16:28 and the highest center was Kadri again. So, I highly doubt ROR would be a 70 point player getting Kadri's usage, considering Laine is the only one to hit 70 and he plays 55 seconds a game more on the PP than Kadri.

Kadri
2016/17 ES: 14:22
2016/17 PP: 2:11
2017/18 ES: 15:40
2017/18 PP: 3:36

O'Rielly
2016/17 ES: 16:14
2016/17 PP: 2:54
2017/18 ES: 14:40
2017/18 PP: 2:05

Yet Kadri's points have increased while getting substantially less minutes. Even if O'Reilly wouldn't hit 70 points, he production would still say near the same or slightly increase, while Kadri's would decrease. 17 minutes a night with Marleau and Marner on a good team is better then 20 minutes a night with Okposo and Pouliot on a bad team.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yet Kadri's points have increased while getting substantially less minutes. Even if O'Reilly wouldn't hit 70 points, he production would still say near the same or slightly increase, while Kadri's would decrease. 17 minutes a night with Marleau and Marner on a good team is better then 20 minutes a night with Okposo and Pouliot on a bad team.
Except he played half the year with Komarov, and O'Rielly played 40% of his time with Reinhart. So, your claims are an exaggeration. If Kadri got an extra minute of even strength time and an extra minute 30 of powerplay time his numbers would stay the same. His career high's last year was done playing primarily with Komarov and Brown. O'Rielly's 3:30 seconds per game on the powerplay also come with Risto, Eichel and Reinhart, who you think are as good as their Leaf counter parts (Matthews, Marner and Rielly), yet in Kadri's 2:05 seconds on the Powerplay he doesn't play with our equivalent of Eichel.

Last edited:

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Except he played half the year with Komarov, and O'Rielly played 40% of his time with Reinhart. So, your claims are an exaggeration. If Kadri got an extra minute of even strength time and an extra minute 30 of powerplay time his numbers would stay the same. His career high's last year was done playing primarily with Komarov and Brown. O'Rielly's 3:30 seconds per game on the powerplay also come with Risto, Eichel and Reinhart, who you think are as good as their Leaf counter parts (Matthews, Marner and Rielly), yet in Kadri's 2:05 seconds on the Powerplay he doesn't play with our equivalent of Eichel.

So for 40% of the time, O'Reilly got to play with 1 decent player. And you've conveniently left out the 2 minutes of PK time to Kadri's 0 which narrows the TOI significantly. Kadri gets 14:66 to O'Reilly's 15:66 EvATOI. This is the only year O'Reilly has garnered more then 8 PP goals in a season, but is still a consistent 55- 60 point player.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So for 40% of the time, O'Reilly got to play with 1 decent player. And you've conveniently left out the 2 minutes of PK time to Kadri's 0 which narrows the TOI significantly. Kadri gets 14:66 to O'Reilly's 15:66 EvATOI. This is the only year O'Reilly has garnered more then 8 PP goals in a season, but is still a consistent 55- 60 point player.
I pointed to the disparity of ice time in situations they are likely to score. You can’t ignore the massive disparity in ice-Tim on the powerplay. It’s not like Komarov or Brown are strong offensive players and that is who Kadri spent most of his time with at 5v5 when he got 61 last year.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I doubt that Jeff Skinner could return even a good #2C straight up.

He's a 50-60 point winger who isn't exactly young anymore.

I think a more correct term would be 30G scorer who's only 25. That's like 5-6 years before you're likely to see any kind of downswing in production and SO much can change in 6 years.

Anyways, no he can't return a #1C on his own. I can't even really think of any that are available.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Not a fan of either team but skinner for nugent Hopkins?

My thoughts exactly.

Contract lengths aside, that might be a trade that fits each team. Oilers would surely love a skilled winger like Skinner alongside McD or Drai and while not a #1 centre, RNH could benefit of added responsibility and ice time he’d get in Carolina.

I know the Oilers have experimented with RNH on the wing, but is that a direction he and the team are committed to or just that, an end of season experiment? Some players don’t like changing their try position permanently.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad