News Article: Jeff Rimer will retire after the 2023-24 Season

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Exactly right. Jody is very good on national broadcasts.
People who hate on Jody (and Rimer to an extent) for being a mouthpiece or always positive about the CBJ forget that they’re the ones who sign his checks. Everything has to be sunshine’s and rainbows around the team, or twisted as such, because that’s what they want from him. I think Jody would go in harder on the players/team more if he could. People forget that Jim Day was removed off CBJ broadcasts for being too tough on the team.

(Not saying any of this is a good thing btw. Just being real)

Like you said, on national broadcasts he can just be himself as a commentator. And it’s pretty good.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
People who hate on Jody (and Rimer to an extent) for being a mouthpiece or always positive about the CBJ forget that they’re the ones who sign his checks. Everything has to be sunshine’s and rainbows around the team, or twisted as such, because that’s what they want from him. I think Jody would go in harder on the players/team more if he could. People forget that Jim Day was removed off CBJ broadcasts for being too tough on the team.

Like you said, on national broadcasts he can just be himself as a commentator. And it’s pretty good.

I wonder about that.

Like the club puts out interviews with the coach most days, and he's often making insightful critiques of players. We had Torts at times ripping on players (often crossing the line) and it would go up on the club's youtube page nonetheless. Maybe the broadcasters have a clearer mandate to keep it positive.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
jody's extremely good on national broadcasts where the pxp guy isn't actively falling asleep during the broadcast.

problem is most of his time on the cbj feed is spent either babysitting/correcting rimer or trying to work through rimer absolutely sucking all the energy out of the broadcast.
Exactly right. Jody is very good on national broadcasts.
While it’s obviously much easier for him without Rimer, and he’s likable, easy to listen to and manageable in these situations, he’s NOT a good color guy. Bottom line.

He absolutely lacks the “in depth” and/or “complex” intricacies of the game, and/or lacks the ability to catch the vast majority of them in game while juggling with other tasks involved with the tv production.

There are SO MANY little things (or BIG) that are completely missed or misrepresented by BOTH Shelley and Rimer during the game. That, for me, is the biggest thing that makes them unwatchable. So much shit is missed by people because it’s missed by them. The BS small talk is a symptom of them not knowing what else to talk about.

Talking the entire broadcast, even as much as GLGP tries his hardest, most of the replays and commentary of the breakdowns on plays are quite laughable and lack insight on so many levels. In-game stuff with Shelley and Rimer is where Shelley’s lack of actual knowledge shines through often.

(EDIT- They could however be being ASKED to “dumb down” everything from the tv station or CBJ team-sorry Ohio)

While I respect everything about Jody as a man and what he did as a profession, and just what all that adds to the game, and what all that and the game (used to) add to all other sports, and subsequently to society, even as an NHL player, he lacks much of the knowledge and ability to explain it well, that an ex player should have when put in a color commentary role.

I don’t follow much of the national broadcasts anymore, and understand they “recycle” them like Shelley, however, I’d be willing to bet most of the best actual commentators and broadcasts are some of the locals ones.

Anyways, like Jenner, Shelley might not be the problem, but, he also isn’t the solution without some extreme help and more than likely a change or limit of his overall role.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

We all remember what happened to Jim Day when he told the truth. I still miss him doing CBJ when I see him on the Reds games all summer long.

Last edited:

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Rimer will always be cool by me. As a PBP guy, eh, I like him. Not perfect, but dude has seen a LOT of bad hockey over the years and probably has a touch of PTSD. Hope retirement suits him well.

As a person, he is fantastic. I own a HVAC shop and he was one of my first customers. He called me for service one day and when I told him I was unavailable since I had to babysit my very young son, he told me to bring him along. I laughed and said I would be along once I had my wife home from work. He insisted I come with my little helper ASAP.

So we went. Him and his wife Ferrel watched and played with my 1 year old son and I did my job. Somewhere I have the pic of them all hanging out.

Jeff is as exactly as nice and as much of a name dropper in person as you'd expect and want him to be lol. He was also very forthcoming with his thoughts and opinions on people and teams, I found that to be refreshing.

If I only knew him from TV, I might have a different opinion of him, but when I hear him I can only think of the CBJ and the time he and his wife were sitting on the floor playing with my son. It's been many years since I have seen or talked to him. He also has comped me tickets a time or two. I actually met @MoeBartoli at a game once on one of the comped games.

I wish him the best.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Rimer will always be cool by me. As a PBP guy, eh, I like him. Not perfect, but dude has seen a LOT of bad hockey over the years and probably has a touch of PTSD. Hope retirement suits him well.

As a person, he is fantastic. I own a HVAC shop and he was one of my first customers. He called me for service one day and when I told him I was unavailable since I had to babysit my very young son, he told me to bring him along. I laughed and said I would be along once I had my wife home from work. He insisted I come with my little helper ASAP.

So we went. Him and his wife Ferrel watched and played with my 1 year old son and I did my job. Somewhere I have the pic of them all hanging out.

Jeff is as exactly as nice and as much of a name dropper in person as you'd expect and want him to be lol. He was also very forthcoming with his thoughts and opinions on people and teams, I found that to be refreshing.

If I only knew him from TV, I might have a different opinion of him, but when I hear him I can only think of the CBJ and the time he and his wife were sitting on the floor playing with my son. It's been many years since I have seen or talked to him. He also has comped me tickets a time or two. I actually met @MoeBartoli at a game once on one of the comped games.

I wish him the best.
I've kind of always taken the position that I like him better as a team ambassador than as the play-by-play guy. I'll miss having him part of the Jackets, but I won't miss his calls. He wasn't bad, but, well, considering the whole "George Matthews is why I'm a hockey fan" thing I have some very different standards. :)

Reactions: We Want Ten

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017

I wish him the best.
Great story. I like Rimer. He is the only guy I know since I have been watching the Jackets. I don't really mind the mistakes as I tend to tune out what they say. It's more of a comfort factor with the sound of his and Jody's voices. Same with all the other guys that have worked for the teams I follow. Whenever they get new guys, it takes a bit to warm up to them.

He had a nice run in a job a lot of us would love to have. Wish him the best.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

I wish him the best.
Great to hear your experiences with Rimer. Maybe the biggest surprise was hearing he was forthcoming in opinions as many in his position can be overly guarded. Glad we met at the game at that game - and your son, too!

Reactions: LJ7 and We Want Ten

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I've kind of always taken the position that I like him better as a team ambassador than as the play-by-play guy. I'll miss having him part of the Jackets, but I won't miss his calls. He wasn't bad, but, well, considering the whole "George Matthews is why I'm a hockey fan" thing I have some very different standards. :)
And this is fair. I fully admit I am unable to seperate the two sides of him and why I simply refuse to try. I do not expect others to share my position. I just wanted to share my story and explain why I like him.

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Great to hear your experiences with Rimer. Maybe the biggest surprise was hearing he was forthcoming in opinions as many in his position can be overly guarded. Glad we met at the game at that game - and your son, too!
I don't want to overshare, but he had some strong opinions on Pittsburgh as a club and their fortunes lol. This was about 10 years ago, maybe he has moved, but in the moment and time he was there. We were talking hockey and I guess he thought he could trust me. He also told me some good Freddy Modine stories after I said I liked him as a player. Freddy was a neighbor of his, a lot of old CBJ players were in that neighborhood though.

He also gave me an autographed Bobby Orr pic, so I thought that was cool.

I met him through a previous employer and grabbed his call sheet when I saw the name Rimer, no one else at the shop knew who he was. When I started my own company he called me for service still. I get the impression he is big on personal relationships and likes who he likes. When him and Ferrel moved from Dublin to UA is when I stopped working for him.

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
The video package I dont think I stopped smiling the entire time watching that.
I know he gets a lot of guff from people, but Rimer is cbj hockey, every important moment, he called it, its going to be weird hearing another voice calling the play by play.

Of course I grew up mostly listening to Bill & George on the radio broadcasts till George left (Im sorry but I dont care for the new radio guy), and they are still my favorites.

But anyway, wonderful ceremony, and great broadcast, and the W didnt hurt either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad