News Article: Jeff Rimer will retire after the 2023-24 Season

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wow. I know he's gotten a lot of crap but this is still pretty weighty, as much for his presence as team PR as his game calls.

Who's going to replace him next year? Does McElligott get called up?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Wow. I know he's gotten a lot of crap but this is still pretty weighty, as much for his presence as team PR as his game calls.

Who's going to replace him next year? Does McElligott get called up?
That’s my thoughts. Although I do think Bob likes his radio gig.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I have been outspoken that I don’t find his calls… any good.

I have no doubt he’s a good guy, as many here have said. I wish him well and am glad he is able to make the decision of his own volition and not either be let go/moved out or due to poor health.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I grew up with Jeff Rimer being the voice. Danny Gare, Bill Davidge, and Jody have been great color guys with him, but it was always his voice on the call. I won’t focus on recent calls, but his voice is synonymous with every major on ice CBJ moment to date.

Thank you, Rims. Hopefully it’s one last amazing run.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Yesterday they were hyping that he would be on the Fan today with a big announcement. I assumed it was that he would retire.

Go find some talented Canadian with a decent voice and deep knowledge of the game who has spent the last 10 years calling games in some place like Moose Jaw.

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
I know it happened with the Cavs, I wonder if the Jackets steal from the Reds organization and take Jim Day?

Dunno who else would be on the radar.

Rims seems like a good guy, but I'm glad to get a new voice and...fresh eyes on the team

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
That is one long letter. But I appreciate the details.

Rimer has been slightly above average in my opinion of NHL play-by-play guys, I've been fine with him. I'm guessing I will miss him next year - McElligott is alright so if he's the next in line, then that's fine. Wouldn't object to a new guy but I'm not too optimistic it would be a huge improvement in the voice department - I guess a younger pair of eyes will do wonders to some of the calls...

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
As some have already stated, Rimer is really not my favorite. He seems like a good guy and I wish him all the best.

I'm also very happy to get someone else.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I like many others grew up listening to Rimer call CBJ games and thank him for all that's hes done and wish him a happy and well deserved retirement.

But I can't help but wonder how the potential TV deals and Bally sports situation affects who the next play caller might be? I gotta feeling we're gonna see some big shakeups to the way it's done in the coming years because of streaming.

Reactions: Doggy

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Sounds much better than most guys calling games for NHL teams.
Kelowna's Regan Bartel is my absolute favorite of the WHL pbp announcers. Very unique voice and has tons of knowledge.

Realistically speaking, I'd be surprised if anybody other than McElligott got the job.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I know it happened with the Cavs, I wonder if the Jackets steal from the Reds organization and take Jim Day?

Dunno who else would be on the radar.

Rims seems like a good guy, but I'm glad to get a new voice and...fresh eyes on the team
Jim Day is persona non grata with the Jackets. Could be Bobby Mac but he seems best suited for the radio call.

Reactions: CBJx614

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
As a hockey fan that has had the pleasure of listening to Mickey Redmond/Ken Daniels over the years, it can’t be put into words how much is missing from the broadcast with Rimer and Shelley calling the games. I also find it fascinating when anybody doesn’t like either of those 2 guys who do the Red Wings games.

There is SO MUCH, so much of the “intricacies” of the game that are COMPLETELY missed from both Rimer and Shelley, that it’s literally aggravating to watch OFTEN. If given the choice, there are VERY few broadcasts that I choose Rimer/Shelley over, unless I’m quite literally listening to them for comedic value or when there’s a CBJ related subject I’d like to get info from during the broadcast.

He will not be missed, and I think Shelley should go with him. Hope McElligott doesn’t get promoted either, don’t really like his “voice”, “style”, or “hockey knowledge” either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad