News Article: Jeff Rimer will retire after the 2023-24 Season

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
You paint the picture doing radio play by play
Play by play isn’t just movement of the puck. It’s descriptive. Who is open, what are the options, what did the defensive set take away. Screaming he went five hole on Elvis after the fact.. that can be exciting fluff but it missed the beauty of the game. Meanwhile Rimmer is detailing having had coffee with Bobby Orr.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Play by play isn’t just movement of the puck. It’s descriptive. Who is open, what are the options, what did the defensive set take away. Screaming he went five hole on Elvis after the fact.. that can be exciting fluff but it missed the beauty of the game. Meanwhile Rimmer is detailing having had coffee with Bobby Orr.
Perhaps he then needs to describe the type of coffee 😂

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
What, you attend all the away games in person too?
I’m hoping Todd leaves his role, too. Let’s get a new arena host. He might be a great guy, I hear he is. I just can’t stand his worn-out over-played cornball delivery. Unlike Rimer’s play by play, you can’t turn off Todd or switch to a different feed.
Grates on every last nerve…

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I’m hoping Todd leaves his role, too. Let’s get a new arena host. He might be a great guy, I hear he is. I just can’t stand his worn-out over-played cornball delivery. Unlike Rimer’s play by play, you can’t turn off Todd or switch to a different feed.
Grates on every last nerve…
Agreed on all counts. Was just having a little fun!

Reactions: Derby

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Rimer with a cringeworthy dig at Jody today, they were discussing the chips in player uniforms recording their speed, shot power etc

Rimer says “I wonder what that could’ve recorded for you, Jody, probably time sitting on the bench”.

He could’ve given him some nice praise by saying “punching power” or something

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Rimer with a cringeworthy dig at Jody today, they were discussing the chips in player uniforms recording their speed, shot power etc

Rimer says “I wonder what that could’ve recorded for you, Jody, probably time sitting on the bench”.

He could’ve given him some nice praise by saying “punching power” or something

he also said on marchenko’s goal “the russian 3!” referring to sillinger, voronkov, and marchy.

get him out of the booth already please.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
he also said on marchenko’s goal “the russian 3!” referring to sillinger, voronkov, and marchy.

get him out of the booth already please.

He was joking. They brought it up earlier and called him Sillikov or something like that.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I have never heard a hockey guy do play by play the way you describe. That is the job of the color guy and he isn't talking during puck movement.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Since we're ragging on broadcasters, McElligott will get some of my wrath.

He's got a good voice, keeps up with the PBP very well, but his goal calls like "up in the right hand corner like a postage stamp" are all contrived and terrible for the most part. He's trying so lamely to match some of the PBP guys who have real good lines after goals.

His "game over" is so awful that a 5th grader with average creativity could come up with something better.

He's an acceptable NHL PBP guy. I just wish he'd get over his failed attempts to copycat announcers on goal calls.

On Rimer, I wish him the best. He's not unusual in that he chose to retire a few years beyond his optimal shelf life. I always listen to the opposition broadcasters unless they're terrible in which case no sound is the best option.

Reactions: thebus88 and Viqsi

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Since we're ragging on broadcasters, McElligott will get some of my wrath.

He's got a good voice, keeps up with the PBP very well, but his goal calls like "up in the right hand corner like a postage stamp" are all contrived and terrible for the most part. He's trying so lamely to match some of the PBP guys who have real good lines after goals.

His "game over" is so awful that a 5th grader with average creativity could come up with something better.

He's an acceptable NHL PBP guy. I just wish he'd get over his failed attempts to copycat announcers on goal calls.

On Rimer, I wish him the best. He's not unusual in that he chose to retire a few years beyond his optimal shelf life. I always listen to the opposition broadcasters unless they're terrible in which case no sound is the best option.
Hockey PBP is hard. But I think Bobby Mac gets away from the descriptive stuff too easily and then takes too long to get back. Also, I rarely have a good idea of what's actually transpiring on-ice when tuning in to the radio broadcast. And (this is a critique I have of many radio announcers) he doesn't tell the score often enough. Maybe that's a thing of how broadcast schools are training guys or they're used to going back and forth from radio to TV, but radio guys need to be telling you the score all the time.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Hockey PBP is hard. But I think Bobby Mac gets away from the descriptive stuff too easily and then takes too long to get back. Also, I rarely have a good idea of what's actually transpiring on-ice when tuning in to the radio broadcast. And (this is a critique I have of many radio announcers) he doesn't tell the score often enough. Maybe that's a thing of how broadcast schools are training guys or they're used to going back and forth from radio to TV, but radio guys need to be telling you the score all the time.
I'm with you on the radio announcers needing to state the score more regularly.

I'm OK with his ability to keep up with the on ice stuff, but after listening to years and years of some very poor radio announcers in the ECHL my standards may not be too high.

Calling hockey on the radio is very hard. Probably second most difficult call in sports behind calling a horse race.

****I hope this post met your public discourse standards**** ;);)

Reactions: Michigan Magic

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm with you on the radio announcers needing to state the score more regularly.

I'm OK with his ability to keep up with the on ice stuff, but after listening to years and years of some very poor radio announcers in the ECHL my standards may not be too high.

Calling hockey on the radio is very hard. Probably second most difficult call in sports behind calling a horse race.

****I hope this post met your public discourse standards**** ;);)
Let’s break it down offline and I’ll discuss some ways it could have been improved.

• Haha
Reactions: NotWendell

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Rimer is funny.

He's gotten so bad that as long as he's called a guy's name of the ice, whether it be correct, it suffices for him. Jody is constantly calling the play for him because he's not following what actually is happening.

My favorite is all the non chalant calls on great saves/big plays and all his over excitement on routine saves/plays.

Also he gets excited that we have an odd man rushes maybe 5 times too many a game when there is in fact no odd man rush.

I can't wait until we get someone else.

Reactions: I3LI3

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Thoughts after last night’s game in DC Capital One Arena. The in arena entertainment was just so much better than Mike Todd. No corny attempts at country-boy humor, just friendly and to the point with fan interaction and sponsor promos. 2 hosts, much younger. They also didn’t shout into the mic. It was a glimpse into what could be.
I know Todd has been selected for all-star and nhl mascot events hosting, but those are more circus-like event styles. Some might argue CBJ is a circus, but I digress. 41 games a year with his too loud, too corny delivery is too much. Time for a change.

*disclaimer* M. Todd has never kicked my dog or anything, and I know I rant on him, but it’s just so bad…

Reactions: MAHJ71

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
Thoughts after last night’s game in DC Capital One Arena. The in arena entertainment was just so much better than Mike Todd. No corny attempts at country-boy humor, just friendly and to the point with fan interaction and sponsor promos. 2 hosts, much younger. They also didn’t shout into the mic. It was a glimpse into what could be.
I know Todd has been selected for all-star and nhl mascot events hosting, but those are more circus-like event styles. Some might argue CBJ is a circus, but I digress. 41 games a year with his too loud, too corny delivery is too much. Time for a change.

*disclaimer* M. Todd has never kicked my dog or anything, and I know I rant on him, but it’s just so bad…
Spot on……..he belongs in the lowest level minor leagues

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Some might argue CBJ is a circus, but I digress.

Circus is too generous. You know those traveling carnivals where you would never get on one of the rides because the workers are too shady - those are much closer to what the Jackets are than a circus.

Anyway, I agree with your main point.

• Haha
Reactions: Napoli

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Hopefully Shelley goes with him. Really isn’t any better, misses the same amount of things while not actually adding anything interesting or insightful.

Just missed that clear trip/stepping on the stick of Marchenko AFTER the slow mo replay. Then, like Rimer, adds his opinion as if they are right about something when they couldn’t be any more wrong. Marchenko slammed the boards because there was no tripping call, because THAT is why he went into the boards, not that he “caught an edge”.

Sorry, it’s annoying when the broadcast is literally hard to listen to, THEN there’s a another situation like this where it’s “anti homer” analysis that couldn’t be ANY more wrong and our dude almost got hurt. Both our guys overall just miss SO much.

The PIT feed/commentary is not much better, but, I’ll be over there for the 3rd.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

Every STH survey I get I mention how bad the in arena entertainment is from the host, to the same 5 recycled songs that get played every game in-between the whistles. Never changes..

Reactions: Cowumbus and Derby

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Just heard Dan Kelly call the OSU hockey game on the Big ten network
he used to call the games for the Jackets in their early years, did a good job then and I hope they bring him back to replace Rims

Reactions: MoeBartoli

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Hopefully Shelley goes with him. Really isn’t any better, misses the same amount of things while not actually adding anything interesting or insightful.
jody's extremely good on national broadcasts where the pxp guy isn't actively falling asleep during the broadcast.

problem is most of his time on the cbj feed is spent either babysitting/correcting rimer or trying to work through rimer absolutely sucking all the energy out of the broadcast.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
jody's extremely good on national broadcasts where the pxp guy isn't actively falling asleep during the broadcast.

problem is most of his time on the cbj feed is spent either babysitting/correcting rimer or trying to work through rimer absolutely sucking all the energy out of the broadcast.
Exactly right. Jody is very good on national broadcasts.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad