News Article: Jeff Rimer will retire after the 2023-24 Season

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I guess the idea of Rimer being "meh" never landed with me because for me nobody could ever even come close to George Matthews, so my standards for "not good enough" applied to everybody. It's been 10 years and I still miss him.
Ditto that a hundred times.

George Matthews was awesome. Back in the days where you could actually listen to the radio on a headset in-house, it was a thrill to get to hear his voice call what was happening in front of you. His enthusiasm for the game was unmatched. And I appreciated his attention to detail, as he knew that the radio audience only knew as much as he told them.

I was never so giddy as I was one night where I had a seat in the upper bowl right in front of the booth. There was a play near the end of a period where everyone seemed to be clueless as to why play was stopped. I happened to notice the backside linesman flying up-ice giving the signal for a hand pass, but no one on the call figured it out. After the period ended a few seconds later, they went downstairs to the locker room for reaction. While that was happening, I looked up and George and I happened to make eye contact. He waved at me. So I gestured towards the ice and made the "hand pass" signal, and he gave me the thumbs up. Seconds later, when he was back on the mic, I heard his voice say "play was stopped due to a hand pass, according to a member of our listenership." And all I could think of was, "wow! I helped out the broadcast!!" It's an insignificant event to anyone else but me, but just getting a little recognition from him was cool.

He's also a great guy. I ran into him a couple times, including one time where OSU was playing Oregon (I think) about a half an hour or so after a Jackets game ended, so they were letting people stay to watch it on the Jumbotron. We were at the same concession stand which was otherwise vacant, and I asked him a question, and we wound up talking about hockey for at least five minutes and probably closer to ten. We found each other on the ice one time when they were hosting a skating event for fans, and it was the same story. The guy just loves to talk hockey, and he would talk about it with anyone, just for the love of the game.

As for Rimer... I was never a big fan. To me, he IS the definition of "meh." I mean, even when Johnson scored the Michigan goal last season, his call was mediocre at best. He's just not a personality that gives you goosebumps like some others. But he has been a loyal Blue Jackets guy, and he's suffered through a lot of bad hockey in his time here. So even though he isn't necessarily the BEST, he's our guy, and it's going to be weird listening to someone else next year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ditto that a hundred times.

George Matthews was awesome. Back in the days where you could actually listen to the radio on a headset in-house, it was a thrill to get to hear his voice call what was happening in front of you. His enthusiasm for the game was unmatched. And I appreciated his attention to detail, as he knew that the radio audience only knew as much as he told them.

I was never so giddy as I was one night where I had a seat in the upper bowl right in front of the booth. There was a play near the end of a period where everyone seemed to be clueless as to why play was stopped. I happened to notice the backside linesman flying up-ice giving the signal for a hand pass, but no one on the call figured it out. After the period ended a few seconds later, they went downstairs to the locker room for reaction. While that was happening, I looked up and George and I happened to make eye contact. He waved at me. So I gestured towards the ice and made the "hand pass" signal, and he gave me the thumbs up. Seconds later, when he was back on the mic, I heard his voice say "play was stopped due to a hand pass, according to a member of our listenership." And all I could think of was, "wow! I helped out the broadcast!!" It's an insignificant event to anyone else but me, but just getting a little recognition from him was cool.
That is eleventy billion different kids of awesome. :D

Never met him in person, alas. All I have there is what I've regularly said about the guy - he's literally the reason I'm a hockey fan at all, thanks to hearing his calls during car trips to and from Washington Court House. I did get to express my appreciation to him for that on his celebration night, at least. :)

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I guess the idea of Rimer being "meh" never landed with me because for me nobody could ever even come close to George Matthews, so my standards for "not good enough" applied to everybody. It's been 10 years and I still miss him.
It has been 10 years? Wow time flies!

For all of the concerns and legitimate complaints about Rimer, when I've met him at STH events I get the impression he's a really good guy who works at his job. I've heard lots worse out there covering other teams.

Reactions: Viqsi

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
i will say, pairing jody shelley with someone in the booth who has a pulse can only mean good things for the broadcast moving forward.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I have nothing to add to the comments about Rimer. Nothing personal but looking forward to a new voice

Dan P Kelly says 'hi'.
Maybe I should have said “aside from the first game.”

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Fans have to learn to separate personal from business. Rimer may be a great guy with great hockey knowledge and he may work hard at his craft but that doesn't mean he is currently a good play by play guy...or has been for quite a few years. I have absolutely nothing against the guy and bet I would love sitting down and sharing a beer with him.

Elvis seems like a great guy but if he doesn't stop pucks do you really want him in goal?

Objectively speaking Rimer has not been at the top of his game for quite a few years. The Athletic does a fan survey of television broadcast teams every off-season and the CBJ consistently land in the bottom five. That's not a coincidence, there is no specific hate for the CBJ and it's not all Jody, Jean Luc, Brian G and Maetzold. It's also not just NHL fans, they rank near the bottom by CBJ locals ranking their own and by fans in general. Rimer is the primary factor here.

This is not meant as a pig-pile on Rimer post and hockey has to be one of the hardest play by play gigs in professional sports but spend time listening to other play by play announcers around the league and you realize Rimer is not one of the better announcers in the NHL. I wish him all the best in his next phase of life.

And like Viqsi said Mathews was outstanding. I miss his calls, I don't know how the CBJ were so lucky to get him in the first place. BobbyMac would be fine with me, even Dan P Kelly would be fine with me (he's improved since his first stint with the team and I like his voice) though I highly doubt the team goes down that road again. I suspect most fans are hoping the CBJ go looking for a fresh voice but won't be shocked or disappointed with BobbyMac.

Reactions: thebus88

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
I would not be mad if Bob McElligott makes the jump to TV. If anything, I'd prefer it. Having someone with some energy in the booth is a well-needed change of pace. Bob and Jody had good chemistry when they did the radio broadcasts together, would love to see that persist on TV.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Fans have to learn to separate personal from business. Rimer may be a great guy with great hockey knowledge and he may work hard at his craft but that doesn't mean he is currently a good play by play guy...or has been for quite a few years. I have absolutely nothing against the guy and bet I would love sitting down and sharing a beer with him.

Elvis seems like a great guy but if he doesn't stop pucks do you really want him in goal?

Objectively speaking Rimer has not been at the top of his game for quite a few years. The Athletic does a fan survey of television broadcast teams every off-season and the CBJ consistently land in the bottom five. That's not a coincidence, there is no specific hate for the CBJ and it's not all Jody, Jean Luc, Brian G and Maetzold. It's also not just NHL fans, they rank near the bottom by CBJ locals ranking their own and by fans in general. Rimer is the primary factor here.

This is not meant as a pig-pile on Rimer post and hockey has to be one of the hardest play by play gigs in professional sports but spend time listening to other play by play announcers around the league and you realize Rimer is not one of the better announcers in the NHL. I wish him all the best in his next phase of life.

And like Viqsi said Mathews was outstanding. I miss his calls, I don't know how the CBJ were so lucky to get him in the first place. BobbyMac would be fine with me, even Dan P Kelly would be fine with me (he's improved since his first stint with the team and I like his voice) though I highly doubt the team goes down that road again. I suspect most fans are hoping the CBJ go looking for a fresh voice but won't be shocked or disappointed with BobbyMac.
I don’t think anyone is saying the time hasn’t come for Rimer. Some are just choosing to remember the good times rather than harping on the old man.

Not saying you are

Reactions: Monk and Viqsi

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
As a hockey fan that has had the pleasure of listening to Mickey Redmond/Ken Daniels over the years, it can’t be put into words how much is missing from the broadcast with Rimer and Shelley calling the games. I also find it fascinating when anybody doesn’t like either of those 2 guys who do the Red Wings games.
Ken Daniels has always been above the bar as far as play by play guys. Mickey has been in hockey forever but some of his commentary lately is cringe worthy. The rest of the Red Wings crew is beyond awful. Larry Murphy, Jimmy Howard and Chris Osgood are all terrible analysts for guys who have pleyed the game pretty well. They make Metz look like a sports emmy award winner.

Edit: I also have no desire to hear Bob on TV. He's in a perfect place for him.

Reactions: Fred Glover

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
No issue with Rimer in general but feel it's time for a new voice. Been a great ambassador for the team and even the city. I can only hope the next one has longevity, zest, zeal and a knowledge of the game that keeps us tuned in and out of our seats!

Reactions: Viqsi

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Thank you for your service, but please go now. The Blue Jackets found a new coach in 2 days, they can find a new play by play. Find someone that can paint the picture, actually knows the players names and isn’t sucking up every dollar of local promotions. I’m tired of watching games with the volume muted.

Reactions: Halfboard and I3LI3

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Is Monsters PBP man Tony Brown a candidate for the Jackets opening. I don’t know much about him.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Thank you for your service, but please go now. The Blue Jackets found a new coach in 2 days, they can find a new play by play. Find someone that can paint the picture, actually knows the players names and isn’t sucking up every dollar of local promotions. I’m tired of watching games with the volume muted.
You paint the picture doing radio play by play
TV is totally different in that you can see the action
you have a point with knowing the player names and identifying them properly
the sucking up of every dollar of local promotions will continue as it does with every media presentation for college and pro sports, so you either ignore the promo or keep the volume muted

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
You paint the picture doing radio play by play
TV is totally different in that you can see the action
you have a point with knowing the player names and identifying them properly
the sucking up of every dollar of local promotions will continue as it does with every media presentation for college and pro sports, so you either ignore the promo or keep the volume muted
Actually I was referencing the Blue Jackets TV broadcasters in all the television & radio ads. Would be nice to see representation from the players or coach. Don’t give 2 shits about Rims Byers ads or Jody’s windows, water purifier, or roof. That happens No where else in NA, the Jackets have zero identity. It’s just my opinion. But I have heard people laugh out loud at the absurdity of it all.

Reactions: Doggy

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Actually I was referencing the Blue Jackets TV broadcasters in all the television & radio ads. Would be nice to see representation from the players or coach. Don’t give 2 shits about Rims Byers ads or Jody’s windows, water purifier, or roof. That happens No where else in NA, the Jackets have zero identity. It’s just my opinion. But I have heard people laugh out loud at the absurdity of it all.
It comes from things like Paul Keels being a fixture on radio ads for forever thanks to the lack of NIL for the longest time.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad