Value of: Jeff petry

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Petry is not a no.1D. Never was and never will be. He is a great no.3 and could be a good no.2 if playing with a true lhd no.1 D. For example, i think he would be the ideal partner for Weber if one of them was lhd.

Reactions: yianik

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
Petry is not a no.1D. Never was and never will be. He is a great no.3 and could be a good no.2 if playing with a true lhd no.1 D. For example, i think he would be the ideal partner for Weber if one of them was lhd.

I personally believe he would be Toronto's #1 RHD.
But that's only because our depth is pathetic.

He is a solid #2 RHD on almost every team in the league.
You are undervaluing him.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I personally believe he would be Toronto's #1 RHD.
But that's only because our depth is pathetic.

He is a solid #2 RHD on almost every team in the league.
You are undervaluing him.

That's basically what i said. The point is, he can't be teams no.1 D but can handle top pair minutes with a no.1 D and be effective on the PP.

member 88115

Petry has actually improved quite a bit in the last two years and he's been (and is currently) unarguably better than Muzzin since then, more or less. Add to that the fact that Muzzin has slowed down a bit on the ice because of lower-body injuries in the last few years.
Lower body? Where did you hear that? He has only missed 8 regular season games the last 3 seasons and played all his games this season. And Muzzin does not look slower.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Lower body? Where did you hear that? He has only missed 8 regular season games the last 3 seasons and played all his games this season. And Muzzin does not look slower.

Playing all the games doesn't mean you don't get small injuries and just play through them. Just watch Alzner's play from 3 seasons ago and watch him now and you'll see the toll blocking shots and playing physical can have on a defenseman's physical atributes and skating speed (there are probably several reports about him not even being able to open pickle jars at home because of damage to his hands), despite not missing a ton of games. No concrete source, but watch Muzzin's stride (and position while skating) now compared to what it was in something like 2015 and you'll notice that they're a bit different from each other. That, to me, screams lower-body injury (or musculo-skeletal/spinal problems, who knows).

As for Muzzin not being slower, I completely disagree. Although he hasn't been all that fast from the start and relied mostly on his awareness and positioning (as well as Doughty bailing him out when all else failed) to make plays, he has slightly more trouble now reaching the puck carrier and pinning him alongside the boards to neutralize plays than he did before. In a straight line, skating from one side of the rink to another, yeah, there isn't THAT much difference, or you could say it's subtle, but where Muzzin's loss of speed is most noticeable to me is in his first couple steps, his acceleration.

Anyways, despite that Muzzin is still a premium asset for the LA Kings and a really, really good defender, one that I'd be thrilled to have on the Canadiens.

member 88115

Playing all the games doesn't mean you don't get small injuries and just play through them. Just watch Alzner's play from 3 seasons ago and watch him now and you'll see the toll blocking shots and playing physical can have on a defenseman's physical atributes and skating speed (there are probably several reports about him not even being able to open pickle jars at home because of damage to his hands), despite not missing a ton of games. No concrete source, but watch Muzzin's stride (and position while skating) now compared to what it was in something like 2015 and you'll notice that they're a bit different from each other. That, to me, screams lower-body injury (or musculo-skeletal/spinal problems, who knows).

As for Muzzin not being slower, I completely disagree. Although he hasn't been all that fast from the start and relied mostly on his awareness and positioning (as well as Doughty bailing him out when all else failed) to make plays, he has slightly more trouble now reaching the puck carrier and pinning him alongside the boards to neutralize plays than he did before. In a straight line, skating from one side of the rink to another, yeah, there isn't THAT much difference, or you could say it's subtle, but where Muzzin's loss of speed is most noticeable to me is in his first couple steps, his acceleration.

Anyways, despite that Muzzin is still a premium asset for the LA Kings and a really, really good defender, one that I'd be thrilled to have on the Canadiens.
When was the last time you saw Muzzin-Doughty playing together?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Cup contenders don't want him because he wouldn't improve their team.:sarcasm:
Non -playoff teams don't want him because he's to old. Another :sarcasm:
Habs will gladly keep him.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Serious answer, similar return to what Pacioretty got. A roster player, very good prospect, and a 2nd-round pick. Maybe another prospect instead of the roster player or upgrade the pick to a 1st-rounder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad