Value of: Jeff petry

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Gardiner + 1st gets the conversation started for Petry.

It wouldn't get the conversation started for me. Gardiner is a UFA after this season so if the Habs were interested in him they could just throw some money at him July 1st. Trading for Gardiner and him possibly walking July 1st isn't a good move for a player you could possibly add without giving any assets up.

Reactions: FerrisRox

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Since when? A month?

Petry has actually improved quite a bit in the last two years and he's been (and is currently) unarguably better than Muzzin since then, more or less. Add to that the fact that Muzzin has slowed down a bit on the ice because of lower-body injuries in the last few years.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Gardiner and a 2019 1st is only a good start if Montreal has a buyer sending another 1st for a retained Gardiner, and tha a solid prospect comes in the deal from Toronto (Liljegren type) + a later pick for the salary retention on Gardiner.

I think that's the only way a Divisional trade could keep the media/fans happy.

2019 1st Toronto
2019 1st Team X
Liljegren
Later pick

For a retained Gardiner to Team X, and potentially retained Petry to Toronto.

Now it's steep of a price to ask, but that's what MTL should go for since top pairing RHD are at a premium in this league just like centers. Especially since those two 1st will be late ones.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Gardiner and a 2019 1st is only a good start if Montreal has a buyer sending another 1st for a retained Gardiner, and tha a solid prospect comes in the deal from Toronto (Liljegren type) + a later pick for the salary retention on Gardiner.

I think that's the only way a Divisional trade could keep the media/fans happy.

2019 1st Toronto
2019 1st Team X
Liljegren
Later pick

For a retained Gardiner to Team X, and potentially retained Petry to Toronto.

Now it's steep of a price to ask, but that's what MTL should go for since top pairing RHD are at a premium in this league just like centers. Especially since those two 1st will be late ones.
Wow....that's....ahh....ummm.....ya. Pass.

Reactions: KingsOfCali25

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
I don't see why the habs would trade arguably their best D.
But as a leaf fan, I'd be all over. Really like Petry.

Gardiner, SDA, Brown

You have the cap space to sign Gardiner long term. He is an elite LHD, I don't care what anyone says. I'd actually rather the leafs resign him, but we just can't afford it.

SDA is an interesting prospect imo. He's by no means an A+ prospect, but he has elite talent, and imo, will grow into an NHL center.

Brown is a good all around depth forward, can kill penalties, can move up and down the line up when needed.

I realize this probably isn't enough for MTL, but that's the price of Gardiner right now. We are going to lose him for nothing, but he's more valuable to our team now than trading him for a 1st/2nd round pick.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Gardiner, SDA, Brown

You have the cap space to sign Gardiner long term. He is an elite LHD, I don't care what anyone says. I'd actually rather the leafs resign him, but we just can't afford it.

SDA is an interesting prospect imo. He's by no means an A+ prospect, but he has elite talent, and imo, will grow into an NHL center.

Brown is a good all around depth forward, can kill penalties, can move up and down the line up when needed.

I realize this probably isn't enough for MTL, but that's the price of Gardiner right now. We are going to lose him for nothing, but he's more valuable to our team now than trading him for a 1st/2nd round pick.
Pure Garbage offer.

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
If I'm Toronto, I am not parting with Dermott, Sandin, or Liljegren in any deal for Petry.
So what does that leave us with?
Depth forwards.
A late first
Gardiner
And some B prospects.

If none of that is appealing to habs fans, then so be it.

I still don't see habs trading Petry. They got him for a song and should keep him.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
nope,

I wouldn't touch GArdiner and Zaitsev.
one of Montreal's problem in our own zone is the turnovers, we don't need 2 more turn overs machine

Gardiner isn't a turnover machine. Players that carry the puck have the most turnovers. Perennial leaders in turnovers are Erik Karlsson and Brett Burns. But the acquisition of upcoming UFA Gardiner is rather silly for the Habs and rather silly for the Leafs if they are in a Cup run.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

Gardiner, SDA, Brown

He isn't. No interest in signing him, either.

If I'm Toronto, I am not parting with Dermott, Sandin, or Liljegren in any deal for Petry.

Depth forwards.
A late first
Gardiner
And some B prospects.

I still don't see habs trading Petry. They got him for a song and should keep him.

A team that won't be landing a Top 4 Dman any time soon.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Depth forwards.
A late first
Gardiner
And some B prospects.

Well if that's what's on the table then it may land you a bottom #4/#5 D-man.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Lol....sure. Petry is a #1D....and Nylander is a depth forward.....looney town on here lately.
Try re-reading the last few post and get back to us.
A Leaf fan offered up
Depth forwards.
A late first
Gardiner
And some B prospects.

You mentioned Nylander/Kap.
He was saying Nylander ...a depth forward. Which in other words Nylander is no depth forward and you jump in with this stupid post.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Try re-reading the last few post and get back to us.
A Leaf fan offered up
Depth forwards.
A late first
Gardiner
And some B prospects.

You mentioned Nylander/Kap.
He was saying Nylander ...a depth forward. Which in other words Nylander is no depth forward and you jump in with this stupid post.
Leafs fans are stuck with Nylander, great for us since he’s not built for the playoffs. They “promised” him they wouldn’t trade him. They Pinky Sweared him.

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
He isn't. No interest in signing him, either.
A team that won't be landing a Top 4 Dman any time soon.

This is why I was pushing for the deal to be made in the off season with Nylander.
But now it's clear that Nylander is here to stay.

Gardiner is better than every LHD on MTL.
He is just playing behind someone that casts a pretty big shadow.

Like I said in my original post, there isn't really a deal to be had. Montreal fans want the moon for Petry, and maybe rightly so, but Toronto isn't going to give it up.

I'd rather go for a much bigger deal involving the aforementioned prospects for someone like Dumba.
I love Petry but because he plays for the Habs I'd just rather not give them an elite prospect just because it's MTL, which is why I admitted it wasn't enough and didn't care.

People here love to forget how to read when it's suitable for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad